PDA

View Full Version : Cut-off tool

Georgeo
10-05-2001, 12:18 PM
I use an old Maximat &. The distance from the head-stock center line to the top of the compound is one .571". I can't find a cutoff tool, or even a blade, that will fit in this small space. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm tired of the "Hacksaw-chuck it up-face it off" routine. Thanks a large bunch.
George

Thrud
10-05-2001, 02:38 PM
Georgio,

I do have a Maximat7 from the 50/60's. I have two types of tool holders for my machine. A square 4-way turret which holds 3/8" & 1/2" shank tools. The second is an "English Toolpost" which is just a big, ugly clamp with a levelling screw on the back, a spring, a spherical washer for the nut, and a long nut.

By machining down the underside of a 1" shank blade holder (KBBN style) to proper dimensions I was able to mount it along the side of the compound clamping with the English clamp thus allowing me to use a 1" high insert type UGHN262 Mitsubishi parting blade (2 mm wide at the tip). I can part any diameter I can chuck with this blade.

There also exists 3/8" shank parting blade holders that use 1/2" HSS parting blades. The holders I have have the name "Supercoup" and were obtained from KAR Industrial in Canada. I know the blades are available in cobalt from KBC. Write me if you cannot locate these - maybe we can horse trade.

In brazed carbide the COR, COL, CT, CTL, & CTR style bits could be made to work by milling off the bottoms to fit your tool block - these are normally 1/2" x 1" shanks. They are fairly wide but could be narrowed by grinding with a Diamond or SiC wheel. KBC sells these (and nearly everyone else as well).

Newcomer, Mini-Systems, Iscar and others make carbide insert cutoff tols in 3/8 shanks as well. The diameters you can cut are limited - usually only to 1.125". The Mini-Sytems toolholders also have inserts for o-rings and threading. KBC has this stuff - see page 259-267.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Georgeo
10-07-2001, 10:13 AM
Hi Thrud,
Many thanks for your reply. I got some ideas from you, which I'll convert to metal after the snow flies. The idea of a tool-holder mounted off the side never occurred to me.
Have you a source of parts for the old Maximats?
George

Thrud
10-08-2001, 03:08 AM
Georgio,

Are you in Canada per chance? All that talk of snow flying got me all teary eyed (I hate mosquitos, but they LOVE me).

Blue Ridge Machinery has parts, but I suspect you are not going to like the prices. A lead screw for mine is $20 but the halfnuts are nearly $500. You can make better ones even if you have to buy a ACME tap to do it and still have lots of money left.

I had one gear cluster in my milling head that was snafu'd whan I obtained the machine - that cost me $321 for a tool & die maker to make a new shaft, put in needle bearings and make 2 bronze gears. He did a nice job of it too. BRM told me to just buy a new 6 speed head because the parts were unobtainable.

Tony Griffiths from www.lathes.co.uk (http://www.lathes.co.uk) has told me parts are available through him or that he can do a search in Europe for them.

If you need more info, just email me.

Dave