PDA

View Full Version : Metal for blackpowder revolver

rmatel
09-30-2001, 06:48 PM
Hi,
I have a BP 44 cal. 1858 New Army replica revolver and would like to try my hand at making spare cylinder(s). What steel should I use? Any other suggestions?
Bob

Thrud
09-30-2001, 08:00 PM
Bob,

You animal, you! You know of course getting the timing right is going to drive you nuts, don't you? Well good luck anyway.

I would think 4130 (tough, low hardness) or 4140 (medium tough, higher hardness). I have used the 4130 in black powder cannons & mortars. Check to see if it will blue the way that you want it first.

If could check on the NRA bbs for a better answer - IMHO

Dave

rmatel
10-02-2001, 05:44 PM
Dave,
Thanx for the advice. I was hoping that if I duplicated the original I'd be close on the timing. Fortunately it's not a defensive piece ;-)
Bob

Thrud
10-02-2001, 07:04 PM
Bob;

I would still check the NRA boards for the proper material to use, I suspect the 4130 would be a good choice. You could contact Colt or the replica maker and just ask them what type of steel they used - tell them you are just curious about it...

If you take your time you should be able to get it pretty well dead on if you use a dividing head or a rotary table. Maybe a fixture to locate the first cylinder chamber while set up in the mill and then put the "hand rolled" cylinder in, locate the first chamber with the simple jig and go for it.

That is a pretty tough project to tackle. Mind you, they did make nice ones in the old days with crapy tools and materials - good craftsmen made all the difference.

You are a braver man than me, Gonga Din!

Dave

bdarin
10-04-2001, 05:12 PM
Hey, lemme know how this turns out. I've got an old Navy Colt replica that's pretty old and could use a little work someday. If you succeed with yours then mebbey I'll give it a shot (NPI).

Thrud
10-05-2001, 03:14 PM
Bdarin,

Just another mindless sheep following the herd? Go for it man! Be a mover, a shaker, a cylinder maker! It is a tough project, and my hat goes off to anyone with the testacular fortitude to even attempt it. (Ladies included , of course!)

Would be a good learning experience for you too. At least that way you would not have the time to "fire" off those gun related puns. Punned down in his prime, he was.

Dave ;-)

rmatel
10-05-2001, 07:06 PM
I did some measuring of the original and found Dave to be correct.
Not only is there a situation with the timing but the nipple holes, both the threaded portion and the counterbores are 10 deg off axis. The center axis hole is 7 mm, and of course the rear "face" has a radius not a chamfer.
Since I don't yet have a rotary or divider, this project will be on hold for awhile so don't get excited yet, bdarin ;-)

bdarin
10-05-2001, 09:03 PM
I'll get to it just as soon as I finish the GATTLING GUN I'm making.

Thrud
10-06-2001, 05:19 AM
I sure hope you are going full scale with .45-70 Government on that rotary bullet dispenser!

We cannot get full auto in Canada - because we were having too much fun. It is ok though, they raised our taxes instead!

If I made a gattling gun here the damn thing would bear a striking resemblance to a ceiling fan and only shoot the breeze...

Dave ;-)

Thrud
10-06-2001, 05:55 AM
Bob,

You can buy metric drills, and a dividing head can be tilted off axis to bore and tap the nipple holes. Easier than doing your own taxes - and far more fun too! Just haunt some sales and maybe even eBay for a bargain and you're cooking, man!

Dave

bdarin
10-06-2001, 11:43 PM
Dave....can't go full auto in New York State either. This will be a 1/3 scale (.22 cal) replica of 1874 model. Of course, it will be "non firing". Bought plans at last year's Cabin Fever Expo.

Thrud
10-07-2001, 12:33 AM
bdarin,

Hey, that sucks - the non-full auto part. That would still be a cool project to say the least. I have seen the fully functional .45-70 and the .22 commercial versions and they are sweet. The .22 is $17k (US) though.

At least they still let us have single shot 20mm and .50BMG here - for gophers, of course!

Dave

Ron LaDow
10-07-2001, 12:17 PM
Dave,
Sounds like a recipe for gopher mist...

bdarin
10-07-2001, 05:57 PM
"Non firing" doesn't mean it couldn't be made fully operable.........if one wanted to do that. Course it would be illegal, and the ATF might take an interest, but it could "theoretically" be done, if one knew how, or was a home shop machinist ;-)

Thrud
10-08-2001, 02:31 AM
Ron,

We have been known to have mist the odd one - hit most of them. One hoser up here uses a .300 Ultra Mag and a big Leopold to zap them 1 Mile away - guess it was too easy for him at "only" 1 km. (true story)

bdarin,

That is craZY TALK man, everybody - including the ATF know that can never be done at home as long as they keep feeding us beer and munchies and turn the TV to "Battle Bots" or "Junkyard Wars".

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-08-2001).]

willjordan
10-08-2001, 01:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrud:
We cannot get full auto in Canada - because we were having too much fun. It is ok though, they raised our taxes instead!

If I made a gattling gun here the damn thing would bear a striking resemblance to a ceiling fan and only shoot the breeze...

Dave ;-)</font>

IMHO, technically, a Gatling gun is not a full auto, only a semi-auto. You have to keep turning the crank to get it to fire.

------------------
grace & peace
will

JimWolford
10-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Legally, the Gatling gun is no more an auto-loader than a bolt action rifle is.
Basically it is a collection ( anywhere from 6 to 10) of bolt action rifles operated by a worm gear crank.

I wouldn't worry about making a fully operational one. Govt regs allow anyone to manufacture ONE example of any kind of firearm that is legal to own in your area without any problems.

You simply cannot dispose of it ( sell, swap, or give away) without getting a Manufacturers Licence which ordinary people simply cannot afford.

This question comes up frequently among "model engineers" and some of us took the trouble to check with BATF on it.

That is the Fed Reg. your State govt may have more to say on the subject !

FWIW

Jim

bdarin
10-08-2001, 10:42 PM
In these troubled times of ours right now, it might be best not to get ANY gov't agency involved with gattling guns unless they can be convinced it's for "home front defense".

Thrud
10-09-2001, 03:06 AM
In Canada, a gattling gun is full auto and in the Prohibited catagory (you have to already have one registered to get another). Even Barrels under 4.1", .25 & .32 cal are also prohibitted now. Only good thing is we still have 50 shot clips for Ruger 10/22. If you have a legal full auto the gun has to be locked up tight in a different room from the bolt which was to be locked up tight somewhere else in a different room.

The government can search your house anytime they please to gheck for safe storage and can pass an "order in council" to ban any weapon for any reason without due process. They can then seize them and you get no compensation for this thievery.

We never had any incedents with machine guns in Canada until some bozo in Quebec went to the Quebec LA with a sten gun "borrowed" from the military armoury. (he was a Sargent)

Gun control sucks - don't let it happen to you guys - I want to move there someday!

Dave (card carrying NRA member)