PDA

View Full Version : shaper

makinloveinrain
01-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Hi all i am wanting to purchase a 7" shaper for my boyfriend, do you know of anywhere that i may get one even if one is broken down he is good at getting things working in the proper condition, any help would be great....

makinloveinrain
01-05-2003, 04:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by makinloveinrain:
Hi all i am wanting to purchase a 7" shaper for my boyfriend, do you know of anywhere that i may get one even if one is broken down he is good at getting things working in the proper condition, any help would be great....</font>

Thrud
01-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Like the name BTW.

The little buggers are rare as hens teeth and the last two seen at auction in Edmonton went for $500 each (one choice, one damaged).

Try eBay www.ebay.ca (http://www.ebay.ca) and click on business/metalworking - you cna serch stuff in the US by clicking on the Browse items available to Ebay Canada Users

BEFORE YOU BID ON ANYTHING - READ THE FINE PRINT AND IF YOU ARE UNSURE EMAIL THE SELLER AND CONFIRM ANY DEVIATION FROM THEIR TERMS OF SALE - AND DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU INTEND TO FOLLOW THROUGH!

You may be able to locate one in the Toronto area by checking the yellow pages under machinery dealers - metal working. Good luck

kgarver
01-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Ebay had two or three of them now on their auction site at "Business & Industrial", Metal Working Equipment. They were cheap as could be 10-15 years ago(less than $200) but have somehow made a "rennisance" of late. They seem to be starting around $400-$500 US and going for $750 US (or more!). Keep in mind that they weigh about 400 lbs. w/the vice and table so shipping is an issue. GET the vice!!! A person can never have too many vices. You can always make or find a really sturdy table!
Go to www.lathes.uk.co (http://www.lathes.uk.co) for a good place to get information on the various makes and models. The 7" Atlas shaper made in Kalamazoo, Michigan up until about the 1960's is a relatively common one. (I've got a $200 one and love it). The Logan 7" shaper is a better machine and the model of it made by the Cleveland based company that made school supplies (just got hit w/CRS!)is a better machine still but also harder to find. South Bend also made one and so did a couple of British firms.
You can get a big one, say 18" to 24" or even bigger for a song BUT the shipping would be rather high.
Good luck and keep us informed on your search!
Off the wall idea. Why not advertise in the paper for one and use a PO Box or friends address if you don't want you boy friend to know its you.
Regards,Ken

kgarver
01-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Here is the information on the Logan shaper. The web address is www.lathes.co.uk. (http://www.lathes.co.uk.) While I'm sure that its waaaaaaay more information than you need you have to do some homework in order to talk to the seller(s) somewhat intellegently.

Logan 8-inch Shaper

- identical to the Porter Cable & Brodhead-Garret Models - Logan 7-inch Shaper
A Manual for the 8-inch shaper is available

The Logan shaper was made in both early 7-inch and later 8-inch stroke versions; the latter machine was originally a Porter-Cable design which Logan improved and subsequently sold on, in the early 1950s, to Brodhead-Garrett, a school supply company. Brodhead-Garret fitted a more substantial vise, a more efficient lubrication system to the variable-speed pulley shaft (both useful improvements, according to users) and marketed it as their "J-Line" Model.
Of the two Logan shapers the 8-inch was produced in far greater numbers and had a maximum real stroke of 8.5" and six automatic table feeds, in either direction, from 0.002" to 0.012". The usual type of reversing ratchet was fitted to the drive and the motion could be reversed by just lifting the spring loaded knob and twisting it through half a turn.
The tool post could be rotated through 360 degrees (unlike the early 7-inch model) and the toolholder, as was almost universal on this type of shaper, angled on the end of the ram.
The stroke rate, which varied from 35 to 180 per minute (with cutting speeds of up to 120 feet per minute), could be set very easily by turning a large, circular handwheel on the cabinet front; the change was automatic, there being no need to stop the motor, shift a belt or operate a clutch.
The box table was 8" square and had a travel of 5.5" (easily moved by a convenient handle above the stroke-rate handwheel) and a cross traverse of 10.5".
Two motor sizes were offered, 0.5 H.P. and 0.75 H.P. for either single or three-phase operation.
For a smaller shaper the Logan was unusual in having a very substantial, double-arm bracing bracket to support the front of the box; most maker's were content to fit either a single bracing stud - or nothing at all.
The shaper occupied a space 15" wide, 35" deep and 51" high - and weighed approximately 700 lbs with motor and stand.

A Broahead-Garret 8-inch Shaper--identical to the Logan illustrated below

(PICTURE HERE THAT DIDN'T TRANSFER. Brits ya' know!)

Logan 8-inch Shaper, Home, Machine Tool Archive, Lathes, Millers, Shapers, etc. for Sale

E-MAIL Tony@lathes.co.uk

Logan 8-inch Shaper - identical to the Broadhead-Garret - LOGAN 7-inch SHAPER

A Manual for the Broadhead-Garret Shaper is available

Hope that this all helps some!
Regards, Ken

kgarver
01-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Here ya go. Knock yourself out!

LOGAN 8 inch 110 volt metal shaper nice! Ebay Item # 3104117046. $699 BUY IT NOW of $750. Its in Beaver Falls, Pa. USA. (near Pittsburg). Also Ebay has a 16" Smith&Miller shaper that needs LOTS of TLC for $399! The S*M could be had for lots less I'd bet. It'll probably weight over 3000# so trucking it to Toronto will be an issue!

Regards,Ken