PDA

View Full Version : compound slides

Artpen
01-04-2003, 11:45 PM
I need to find a quality cross slide and quick change tool post that I can use on a Smithy Granite 1340. The one supplied is cheaply made and binds. Does anyone have a reference?

Thrud
01-05-2003, 02:23 AM
No. Build one.

rmatel
01-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Do you mean "cross slide" or "compound"? In either case, check the gibs for burrs; worked on mine. Any Aloris type tool holder will work with a slight modification. Smithy supplies an elongated "nut" (sorry, don't know the technical name), with a cylindrical OD, except for the hex head, that in conjunction with the original T-bolt, replaces the bolt supplied with the holder. I added a sleeve around the lower part of the T-bolt, independent of the "nut" for more rigidity. You could make the bolt or maybe Smithy will sell you one as a "replacement" ;-)

Artpen
01-05-2003, 12:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rmatel:
Do you mean "cross slide" or "compound"? In either case, check the gibs for burrs; worked on mine. Any Aloris type tool holder will work with a slight modification. Smithy supplies an elongated "nut" (sorry, don't know the technical name), with a cylindrical OD, except for the hex head, that in conjunction with the original T-bolt, replaces the bolt supplied with the holder. I added a sleeve around the lower part of the T-bolt, independent of the "nut" for more rigidity. You could make the bolt or maybe Smithy will sell you one as a "replacement" ;-)</font>

Artpen
01-05-2003, 01:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Artpen:
</font>

Sorry, I meant compound. The compound binds about half way through its travel even with the gib removed. The binding seems to be in the lead screw and nut since I can disconnect the lead screw and move the slide by hand. Also, the floating dial was frozen. I had to disassemble the unit and cut the spring down and polish it before the floating dial would work. I would rather buy a better compound and quick change tool post than try to make one. Have seen the dozen or so plans to make them and they may be a little advanced for me for now. Thanks for your reply.

rmatel
01-05-2003, 06:00 PM
gee, how long have you had that compound? Have you talked to Smithy about it?

BTW, the nut I was trying to describe earlier is like a coupling nut with 90% turned down to fit the inside of the tool holder.

If you get another compound, your problem is mounting it to the cross slide. You may have to use your old base as an adapter.

[This message has been edited by rmatel (edited 01-05-2003).]

Al Messer
01-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Is there a "burr" on the lead screw?

Artpen
01-05-2003, 09:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Messer:
Is there a "burr" on the lead screw?</font>

The lead screw appears to be smooth. I felt the threads and looked at it under a glass. When I roll the screw on a flat surface, it appears to be slightly bent. I don't know if it is bent or was machined that way. This is a new Smithy that I have just received.

Crazy Ed
01-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a warrantee thing!! If at first you don't succeed, bitch like hell. They need to know of this 'factory defect' so they can correct the problem. You are probably not the only one to get one bad. Things like this seem to multiply and they need to know.

ralenr
01-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Artpen,

This sure sounds like a warrantee isssue to me also. I'm expecting mine to arrive next week and will definitly be checking it out completly. Let us know how it works out.

Artpen
01-06-2003, 09:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ralenr:
Artpen,

This sure sounds like a warrantee isssue to me also. I'm expecting mine to arrive next week and will definitly be checking it out completly. Let us know how it works out.

</font>

I have sent several emails to Smith, but have not yet received a reply. Have not had time to phone them, but will tomorrow.

rmatel
01-07-2003, 05:29 PM
I was at Smithy this afternoon and mentioned your problem. They will swap out any part that is defective. The phone is the best way to contact them.

Artpen
01-07-2003, 09:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ralenr:
Artpen,

</font>

Just for information. My Smithy was shipped to Yakima, WA via Roadway. When I went to pick it up I found that someone had run the forks of a fork lift through both boxes of the stand. Totally destroyed them. Also, the top of the lathe box was broken open. I checked the lathe at the warehouse. It looked ok except for some missing paint that the drip tray and joining plate had scraped off (they come in the big box), so I accepted it. Smithy sent the two replacement stands via FEDEX. One had the door sprung in but I was able to repair it. I finally got everything assembled and working and then found the problem with the compound. Also, I don't think that Smithy does all the factory checks that their video says they do. The chuck jumped off the spindle when I first started the unit. The cam locks were set wrong. Luckily it didn't ding the ways. After I got all the adjustments made and the 15 minute run in done, I checked out the mill and it works great. Had difficulty getting a good turning cut on the lathe because the tool post requires a lot of shimming to get the cutting bit set correctly. Also, the "packs" that come with the lathe are minimal. I am buying quite a bit of extra tooling to get started. I installed the speed reducer set. It really slows the system down, but still seems to cut OK. Supposed to be a must for threading. Hope your shipment goes better than mine.

Artpen
01-07-2003, 10:00 PM
I was at Smithy this afternoon and mentioned your problem. They will swap out any part that is defective. The phone is the best way to contact them.</font>

Thanks for the help. I have the phone call planned for Wednesday.

Artpen
01-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I was at Smithy this afternoon and mentioned your problem. They will swap out any part that is defective. The phone is the best way to contact them.</font>
I called Smithy and they are shipping a new compound. Thanks

Tom Kaye
01-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Been reading these posts and I am wondering what the general thoughts are regarding these three in one machines that are a combo lathe/mill and drill like the Smithy- Grizzly - shoptask?
Are these worth using for a hobbist to turn and mill on with good results. I understand the tolerances are not superior, but are they tolerable. Tom

Artpen
01-08-2003, 11:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom Kaye:
Been reading these posts and I am wondering what the general thoughts are regarding these three in one machines that are a combo lathe/mill and drill like the Smithy- Grizzly - shoptask?
Are these worth using for a hobbist to turn and mill on with good results. I understand the tolerances are not superior, but are they tolerable. Tom</font>

I shopped around for several months. At one time I considered spending 12,000 dollars for a lathe and mill. After considering what I wanted to do with them, I concluded it would be a bad purchase. I went to Grizzly at Bellingham, WA and got a demo of their machine. I have a friend with a JET lathe and got to use it. I tried a MYFORD and am still drooling over it. Finally, I got to use the Smith Granite 1340 at a shop at Hanford near my house. I looked at about 50 jobs done on it and they were all of very good quality with excellent tolerances. Most of the jobs included turning and milling. Two of the jobs were hobby jobs instead of industrial work. They were a steam engine and a sterling engine. Both were beautiful and looked as good as any I have seen. My brother is a journeyman machinist and I discussed buying the Smithy with him. He said you can do good work on junk if you are willing to put up with the shortcomings and that for the price (1/4 of what I started to spend) it was a good deal. We are making a large telescope and will use the Smithy to make most of the precision parts such as they Byers drive. Other than the start up problems that I have had, the machine appears to be well worth the money. I would like to have expensive separate machines, but there is just no payback for me and I have limited space in my garage. Ask me the same thing again in a year and I will have a spot-on answer.

dirish
01-10-2003, 07:01 PM
I bought an additional (new) compound from Smithy and modified it to accept an Aloris BXA toolpost for my Granite 1324. It has worked great and makes tooling setups a breeze. I had to make some modifications to the compound to accept a larger t-bolt to hold the toolpost to the compund.

David

ps: if I remember correctly I probably removed and polished the gib on the compound in the past.

ralenr
01-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Artpen,

My 1324 arrived earlier this week and I finally got around to getting it cleaned and set up.

I too have a problem with my compound. When I disassebled it and checked it out it seem that the way the screw is mounted was a little cocked. When the gib was loosened just a bit you could turn the screw handle and watch the top plate of the compound lift off the base about .017 always at the same rotation point. Don't know if the bearing was improperly pressed or if the bore for the bearing was slightly cocked but it is not in line. The screw could also be bent but it checked out true for the exposed length part and if it is bent it's right at the bearing point. I did not figure out how to totally tear it down.

I spoke to a service tech on Friday and he indicated that they have had a few problems with the compounds recently but offered to send out another one right away.

All of this does make me want to repose your original question .... Does anyone know of a good source for a better quality compound that would be suitable for these machines?

Allen