PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Lathe?

GregR
10-11-2001, 09:24 AM
An auction in my area (an estate sale) lists a Bradford Industrial Lathe; no other information. I called the auction company and they didn't have any more info.

Does anyone have any comments on Bradford Lathes? Should I drive the 3 hours to the auction to check it out?

I have never heard of a Bradford before. Are parts available anywhere?

Thanks.

Greg

halfnut
10-11-2001, 10:39 AM
Greg,

I have one, only one I have ever seen, must not have been a distributor in this area.

My machine is a 1945 model I think, I found this date on the spindle bearings engraved with an electric pen.

Excellently built machine, mine is very well worn, swaybacked like an old horse, I scraped till I got tired of scraping, it now turns and bores with the best of them, just have to be careful of center height. Has a really nice taper attachment, I love the gear arrangement, speeds are logically arranged.

I saw one on ebay while back, would have dearly loved to had it, but clear over yonder from me and it was heavy. My machine is a 18 X about 32. Big and short, sorta like me, it weighs about 4,000 lbs I guess, too heavy to cart down to the feed store and weigh.

If you want to look at pictures of one here is a link for you, has pictures and some info on Bradford company, Bradford is one of the oldest lathes, predates Southbend.

Heres link.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bradford/

also main page

http://www.lathes.co.uk

GregR
10-11-2001, 11:31 AM
From the link you gave halfnut, the Bradford lathes look like they were made into the 1950's. Do you know if that is the last decade Bradford's?

If you were at an auction and this Bradford lathe look liked it was still usable, what would be a ballpark figure for bidding?

Thanks.

Greg

halfnut
10-12-2001, 11:36 AM
Greg,

Good question, do some research on what other machines of comparable quality would be worth and maybe subtract a little bit since parts might be a bit hard to find, never worried about parts myself, a person if need be can make about any part for a machine.

I feel a little envy towards South Bend owners, look on ebay sometime, one can buy a complete machine in parts, one piece at a time. I keep looking for a compound for a 12" Hendey, I guess I will have to make the rest of parts for mine myself.

I gave $2,200 for mine, about a thousand too much considering condition. But that was 15 years ago. Guessing a 16" model with a fairly long bed would be worth from 1,000 to 3,000 maybe less. I think the one on ebay brought around a thousand.

Compare with Lodge and Shipley or Leblond machines of similar age and condition.

Good luck