View Full Version : Shaper lubricants

Al Messer
01-11-2003, 07:59 PM
I am acquiring a South Bend 7" Shaper. The plate on the side indicates that the sump has a 1 quart capacity. What kind of lubricant is supposed to be used in the SB Shaper?

01-11-2003, 08:24 PM
The oil specified by S-B for the shaper is their Part No. DE1602 which is defined as: Machine oil Saybolt Universal viscosity rating of 150-240 seconds at 100 degrees F.

Al Messer
01-11-2003, 10:30 PM
O.K. Please translate this into terms a Southern-born Tinkerer can understand.

01-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Hey Al I know what you mean. I took the information I gave you and looker in MSC catalog to see what you can buy from them. I couldnt find an exact match but it looks like a light weight gear oil would be OK. I would use the lightest weight gear oil you can get, possibly from a farm equipment supplier. Dont use motor oil, wrong addatives.

Al Messer
01-12-2003, 05:18 PM
J & L Supply lists Vactra No. 2 and 4 Way Oil Lube (in 5 gal. buckets), Mobil DTE Series Circulating Oil, and Mobil Velocite Oil No. 6 & No. 10 Spindle Oil (in 1 gal. cans). I am going to call J & L tomorrow and see what they recommend.

01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Medium-weight machine oil -- ISO 32.

Al Messer
01-13-2003, 12:19 AM
Would this be something like Electric Motor oil? I hate to sound ignorant, but my local hardware and auto parts stores don't have much industrial machine savvy.

01-13-2003, 01:11 AM
I think you'll be very safe with the Mobil Vactra No. 2 Way Oil. It has an ISO of 32 and a Saybolt Universal rating of 166 which is in the SBL required range of SUS at 100 degrees F of 150 to 240 seconds for "B" type oils. The ram plus other sliding (way type) surfaces are pressure fed from the reservoir and you want the protection of a way type oil.

See more data at:

This is what I have in my SBL 7" and it pumps fine. I liked the outstanding anti-wear performance and excellent protection against rust and corrosion. Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2 is recommended for horizontal slideways on small- to medium-size machine tools, where the projected load does not exceed 5 Bar for flat ways or 2.7 Bar for Vee ways.

Good luck,
Jim Larsen

01-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Forget your local hardware store, unless it happens to be one of the three remaining "real" hardware stores in the US that hasn't been taken over by Ace, Aubuchon, etc.

You'll need an industrial supplier. Get catalogs from MSC www.mscdirect.com (http://www.mscdirect.com) and Travers www.travers.com (http://www.travers.com) and maybe J&L (don't know their URL offhand). They'll have the oil you need. Travers seems to be a little cheaper, generally, than MSC, but MSC has slightly faster service. I've used both and found both of them totally reliable.

Al Messer
01-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks, guys!! It'll be a day or two before I need the oil and a real good clean-up is first thing on the list.

Al Messer