View Full Version : Bumper Tools Bump What?

03-26-2004, 11:42 PM
I recently purchased a tool similar to this one now posted for sale on eBay...


What kinds of situations are most common for using this spring loaded slide tool with (in this case welded on) bumper. Details on the setup most appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Milano


[This message has been edited by walkermaker (edited 03-26-2004).]

03-27-2004, 09:33 AM
They call it a bumper tool, it's more commonly known as a recess tool. It's mounted in the turret and when it is advanced to its stop, the cross slide comes in and momentarily 'bumps' it. used for making recesses or internal grooves.
It looks like the former owner has welded another tool on to do double duty as a chamfer tool or something

03-31-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the very clear solution.
If I am correct, it appears that it is used for speeding up the cutting process in multiple work, and other than that, offers no real mechanical advantage??