PDA

View Full Version : Keyway

walkermaker
05-02-2004, 06:27 PM
How do you put an axial keyway on the inside surface of a 2"long by 1-1/2" diameter aluminum ring?

Thanks

------------------

DancingBear
05-02-2004, 07:19 PM
A) With a keyway broach and bushing, in an arbor press or hydraulic press (or a big vise). Any tool supply place (Enco, Travers, Wholesale Tool, MSC, even Harbor Fright) can fix ya right up. Bring $$$.

B) With a shaper and a HSS lathe toolbit ground to the shape and dimensions you want.

C) By traversing a boring bar ground to the shape/dimensions you want back and forth through the bore while the part is held in the chuck of the(unpowered) lathe. Feed a thou or two with each pass.

D) By hand, with a file ground to width and given safe (non-cutting) faces on the sides.

There's probably other ways (hammer and chisel, anyone? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif)but those seem the most practical.

Regards,
Walt

[This message has been edited by DancingBear (edited 05-02-2004).]

coles-webb
05-02-2004, 08:21 PM
One more way that is simular to method "C" above is to use a boring bar in the milling machine and moving it up and down and moving the X or Y axis a few thou at a time. You might be able to get it done at a machine shop as it is a straight forward quick job(it depends on the shop).

Mike

walkermaker
05-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Dancing Bear and coles-webb,

Such great straight forward solutions, mixed with, up and down, and back and forth.

Thanks a Heep.

------------------

vinito
05-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Not the greatest picture, but it sure worked great. The only problem is that this is not the best thing for your spindle bearings since they are not spinning (whether on the lathe or the mill) so you probably shouldn't do this all the time. This picture was taken just a week or two ago. It got me out of a jam... hmmm. It seems I'm always trying to get myself out of a jam.

as per DB and CW
http://img39.photobucket.com/albums/v119/vinnito/storage/shape.jpg

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 05-02-2004).]

walkermaker
05-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Vinito, Thank you much.....It surprises me that the force on the shaped insert is not to great. Oh I just realized, your still doing one thin cut per press!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by walkermaker (edited 05-03-2004).]

winchman
05-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Why not make an aluminum plug to fit the ID, then drill a hole half in the plug and half in the ring?

If you can't use a round(ed) key, at least most of the material would be removed before you start the makeshift broaching operation.

Roger

walkermaker
05-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Roger, Very Nice!

------------------

YoheShop
05-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Winchmen's approach even works for making multiple spline sleeves. I've done a twelve spline sleeve by boring the holes in the pre-sleeve piece in a dividing head, boring out the center on the lathe, and then using a MinuteMan broach/bushing set with the half holes aligning the broach as I went around.

Herb

walkermaker
05-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Herb, I just got a dividing head and find the idea stimulating. Where did you need a twelve spline sleeve...sounds like high forces? Thanks

------------------
No, on second thought, it sounds like big diameter.

YoheShop
05-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Walkermaker

Worked on a friend's small Barker that also had a rare vertical head. The drive pulley had a short splined sleeve pressed and set screwed in that drove a 12-splined quill. The sleeve had a butchered single keyed spline (obviously not orignal) that I replaced.

Herb

walkermaker
05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Herb, Thanks for the details..for me, much new great stuff!

------------------

sandman2234
05-20-2004, 08:06 PM
For something that small, how about a quillmaster with a QRA attachment?
The guys at the shop just borrowed my Volstro "L" head to do some .095" keys, several inches long. But they had it made, because it was inside a 9" tubing.
David from jax

walkermaker
05-21-2004, 01:45 AM
sandman2234, Thanks. Very interesting! Went looking and saw one on eBay: What appears to be a fairly large unit. Not really planning on getting one just yet, but wondering how small a hole that they are designed to enter and still cut a 1/8" keyway.

------------------