PDA

View Full Version : MINI-MILLS

wierdscience
01-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Has anyone tried one of the import mini-mills?How do they compare to say a Sherline or a taig?Also I have seen that most of these have a mt3 taper but a few have r-8 any experience?

jfsmith
01-16-2003, 11:55 PM
It depends on your money situation and what you want to do with the machine.

I have used Sherline in the past and some big guys that I can't remeber the name on them.

I have a HF mill/drill and a HF mini lathe and very happy with both. Mine are MT2 type. My local HF store has bent over backwards for me on price and warranty. They have a no questions ask type of warranty, so I get a new replacement.

Some day mine will grow up need R-8 accessories, but not his day.

Jerry

Jaymo
01-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Jerry

Is your mill drill the dovetail column, variable speed, minimill,(item # 44991) or is it the round column, 12 speed mill/drill(item #42976)? I'm interested in the latter, but haven't heard anything, good or bad about it. It seems like a good design to me. I see that Grizzly is offering it as a new model this year. I've looked at that model at HF and it looks to be a lot better quality than the "minimill", but doesn't get the recognition. Maybe folks will start buying a lot of these(make them more popular and easier to get accessories for).

wierdscience
01-17-2003, 10:49 PM
I had seen an r-8 spindle version in HF thats what I was wondering about if the HF machines were fairly good since I already have a lot of r-8 tooling.I do have a knee mill and a horizonal now but using these on the really small stuff is like working on a watch with a sledge hammer.Also after standing in front of a big mill 5-6 hours at work I like to sit down for a while!

Jaymo
01-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Wierdscience

The R8 version of which you speak is also sold by Homier. www.homier.com (http://www.homier.com)
The difference is that the price is $399.00.
\That's right, the exact same machine as the HF minimill, made in the same plant , by the same people, only it's $100.00 cheaper.
I have one of their 7x12 minilathes and I love it. I'd love to have their minimill. It's R8 also. I've been thinking about getting the Grizzly version of the Harbor Freight mill/drill of which jerry spoke because it's MT3. I know, R8 has a better selection of goodies. The thing is, my minilathe has a spindle taper of MT3, which would mean that I could use the same collet set in both machines. Purely a financial decision for me. Plus I'm thinking about making a small milling attatchment for the minilathe. Then I could use the same endmill holders in both.

------------------

jfsmith
01-18-2003, 09:35 PM
The recent HF flyer has their Item number 47158-ORVC mini mill for $299.99

Jerry