PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Surface Grinder

wmgeorge
01-13-2003, 09:22 PM
I feel the need for a surface grinder. Most if not all on eBay I see are located on the east or west coast and shipping to the midwest (Iowa) usually runs $300-500.

Some of the older ones on eBay go for $400-800 range and add on freight we are talking $800 - $1200 for something that is 50 years old. Like a old Brown & Sharp #2 which appears to be ok and also has some type of automatic table feed. But then it is 1000 miles away... and 3 phase.

Just wondering if the Harbor Freight surface grinder was worth having? Anyone have one that they would care to comment about?

Dick Payne
01-14-2003, 12:08 AM
I think the Grizzly surface grinder is about the same price as HF. I would think they have better quality control over their supplier.

------------------
Dick

cmiller231
01-18-2003, 11:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wmgeorge:
I feel the need for a surface grinder. Most if not all on eBay I see are located on the east or west coast and shipping to the midwest (Iowa) usually runs $300-500.

Some of the older ones on eBay go for $400-800 range and add on freight we are talking $800 - $1200 for something that is 50 years old. Like a old Brown & Sharp #2 which appears to be ok and also has some type of automatic table feed. But then it is 1000 miles away... and 3 phase.

Just wondering if the Harbor Freight surface grinder was worth having? Anyone have one that they would care to comment about?

</font>

I went to the Grizzly store in Pa a few months ago just to look at their little grinder . I was very unhappywith the way it traversed , very stiff ! I asked the mech guy and all he said is , that is the way it is , like maybe it needs to be cleaned , He could be possible right. It had one shot lube to one side of thwe column and nothing to the other , I asked about that and he said yea1 i'am right . In other words what you see is whaT YOU GET . . iF YOU LOOK AROUND FOR A SANFORD IT MAY HAVE A SINGLE PHASE MOTOR ON IT AS IT IS NOT DIRECT DRIVE 9 i JUST BOUGHT ONE ,( COMMON ON THE EAST COAST). aLSO SOME OLDER BOYER sHULTZ HAD SEPERATE MOTORS . bEFORE YOU BUY ONE RUN A 5 BLOCK CHECK ,aLSO THE GUY AT GRIZZLY COULD GIVE ME NO CERT. OF ACCURACY , ( ACCURACY PER FT. ACCROSS MAG ), INDUSTRY STANDARD THAT I HAVE HEARD IS .0001 PER FT cHRIS

Alan in Oz
01-19-2003, 04:48 AM
I have one of the samll Taiwan 6 by 12 inch surface grinders similar in appearance to the Grizzly 5963, but it has the ball bearing table slide, nearly a must for manual units. I had an earlier one that didn't have bearings and it was a pain to operate no matter how much oil was pumped onto the slide ways. With careful balancing and good wheel trueing results are acceptable for HSM use with light cuts 1/2 thou or less. My earlier unit was single phase and was not smooth running at all, the current unit is 3 pahse and much smoother. Harold V on the Chaski site put out some very good info on using surface grinders. After some discussion with other HSM types I have just upgraded to a used Elliott 6 by 18 inch hydraulic powered unit, so I dont have to spend 1/2 a day winding a handle, it all depends on your intended use, but they are a useful tool.