PDA

View Full Version : Cold Canadian Air

ShavingMaker
01-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Well, it's -11 F here in Southern Minnesota this morning. Even lower in Bemidji where I used to live! The weatherman on the tube always says it's the "Cold Canadian Air" coming down to visit us. One thing I have wondered for years is "why does that Canadian air always smell like meatloaf?"

x39
01-23-2003, 09:26 AM
2deg. F. above here in Eastern Maine this morning, and folks at the local store were talking how nice it is that the weather has gotten milder! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Oso
01-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Heck, its -3 here in spots around St Louis. You won't believe what they say about that here. Something like "don't go out, you'll die instantly".
Well, not quite, but they do think that is very cold.
I remember that 0 was about right for X-country skiing, snow isn't sticky, but its still warm enough to enjoy the outdoors.

ShavingMaker
01-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Oso, I once worked in St. Paul with a guy who had just come up from St. Louis. It was about -15 F one day and he called me for help starting his car. I got to his apartment, where he had the heat up to 85 and had his winter jacket on but was still shivering! We got his car started and drove a little way, the bias ply tires turning slowly with the frozen flat spot making the car bounce. The wide eyed look of fear on his face as he said "What's wrong with my car" was comical. To me, not to him. Within a year he was out skiing though! People from the southern climates can't believe what happens to machinery in really cold weather. The oil gets like tar and the engine cranking over makes a protesting sound like "aaNooooooo!" Then it quits and sits there like a silent stubborn child! I had a diesel Audi once and the coldest I was able to start it was -8F. I hear that in the real north they never shut off their vehicles.

Chris Fazio
01-23-2003, 09:58 AM
It's -2F. here in Pa. this morning which is way colder than normal, but at least I now know what that strange "smell" is. By the way, here's the evidence of global warming, we're freezing!!!

Chris

StephenK
01-23-2003, 10:19 AM
I guess we are having a heat wave in central New Jersey. It was 3F when I went out this morning. Haven't quite gotten that meatloaf aroma down here. I guess the jet stream shifted a little south. Keep warm and let those chips fly.

Stephen

siminov
01-23-2003, 10:53 AM
well here in kenora we are calling for a high today of -21 C which is about -6 F I think. the high yesterday was -24. up here in Canada that means you might want to consider a jacket if your headed outside, well at least a sweater.

Viper
01-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Yesterday it was -46C with the windchill here in Kenora. That's -51F !!!!!!!

Al Messer
01-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Thrud, is your sister cooking again??

jr45acp
01-23-2003, 03:26 PM
In 1979 I was working in Leavenworth, KS. One January night it dropped to -60 with the wind chill. Was outside in it for approx 4 hours. A co-worker had the tip of his noose turn white! Significant in that he as Black! I still haven't warmed up!!!! I hate the cold!

------------------
John B

halfnut
01-23-2003, 03:51 PM
You fellers are chearing me up. It was only down to 6 degrees F this morning when I got off work at 7. I love Missouri weather, probably get up into the 60's next week, you never know.

Heard it said about SW Missouri once, that it didn't have seasons, just weather. If you don't like the weather, wait a day or two and it will change.

Coldest I've ever seen it down here was -20F, cold enough for me while I was chopping ice to water the cows. Glad I don't have to take care of any livestock anymore, excepting a couple worthless dogs and some cats. But they are good buddies.

lynnl
01-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Halfnut, what part of Misssouri are you in?
I've seen colder'n -20 here in Nth Ala. Was long ago ...late 50's or early 60's tho. I'd think Missouri would boast some pretty cold wx. Don't mean to suggest that -20 isn't kinda nippy however, especially with a little breeze blowing.

trap
01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
I think Thrud has found a way to deflect the jet stream.

rbregn
01-23-2003, 09:54 PM
It aint cold until you can throw a cup of hot water into the air and it don't touch the ground!
Rob

dhammer
01-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Bemidji, MN had the distinction of being the cold spot in the continental US the other night.. -26 F. Not so bad.. twenty years ago last week we had -90 F wind chill.. now THAT was cold. Minnesota wouldn't be too bad a place if it wasn't for the cold temps from Canada and the wind from North Dakota.

L Webb
01-24-2003, 12:28 AM
All this talk about the cold is making me shiver. As I left the house this morning in my normal work uniform of shorts and polo shirt, I thought it was cold. It felt like it was 45 to 50 degrees. Brrrrrr.
At least it warmed up decently to maybe 70 something. Perfect day for painting all the parts on the Buffalo No 18 drill press we're rebuilding.
I hate when it gets cold and I need to wear long pants at work. It keeps me on my toes to machine tooling and weld wearing shorts. I must admit though that sometimes I'll put long pants on to use the cutting torch.
Les
(in sunny So. California) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Thrud
01-24-2003, 01:31 AM
Let me explain something to you jam-tarts.

In Alberta we don't worry about "windchill" until it hits 100MPH or 160.9344Km/hr.

Last time I heard an Albertian whine about windchill was in 1973. An Octigenarian Grandma Biker babe bitching about how fast her cookie duster was freezing while driving her softtail 70MPH down the highway. We had to put the old fart in the loony bin. Everyone knows you need studded ground grips to drive in snow - and she forgot her helmet! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif (Just kidding - but quit yer bitching about windchill or I will mail you my sister's meatloaf! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif)

Oso
01-24-2003, 01:36 AM
Gettin down to -7 tonite here in St louis, starting to remind me of the old country.

Sttod out last night (-3 or so) waiting for a bus for an hour. Turned out they had changed the route. I hadn't taken that bus for a few months.
Sure glad I had put on the long johns, stayed nice and warm, even thru the additional 30 min at the right place.

Too bad not much snow, and the skis were at home. Could have cut out the middleman otherwise.

Oh, and Mr Webb, it's supposed to hit near 60 here next week, so don't get too proud http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 01-24-2003).]

4lb.Nevada
01-24-2003, 06:53 AM
I woke to - 23 F with a ten mile an hour wind. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif This is close to my comfort range !!
Look at tis way, you can always throw on another sweater when you're cold, but when you're hot, you can only take so much off before you get arrested, http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif ( Or proposed too!)
Charles
No. Dak.

ShavingMaker
01-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Windchill.... Thrud's right. Cold is cold. Unfortunately the talking heads on the TV weather shows use terms like "bitterly cold" and "windchill down to -10F" and frosters from Minnesota, N.Dak & S.Dak and Canada and all the other really cold places just shake our head when they say that and wonder where their last TV station was. "Windchill" means nothing to me, I need the real temp. All it does is confuse those from the southern states into thinking it is colder than it really is. When your nose hairs frost up and there is no wind, then you know it is getting into the range where you will have to put on another sweater. Maybe. The coldest I have been in was -49 F in Bemidji. Real, not windchill. It didn't feel much different than -20 F. Real, not windchill. I just knew I was going to freeze to death faster if I lost my clothes. But the nose hair thing is the best thermometer, next to the crunch of tires on the frozen hard snow.

ShavingMaker
01-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of -7 in St. Louis. Anything below 30 above in MIssouri is cold, remembering my basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood!

Oh Yeah, I grabbed an icecycle from the edge of the roof and started licking it. It tasted like meatloaf!

Oso
01-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Don't worry about it. I grew up in the -30 zone.

As far as difference in cold, you might notice the difference in sound between -5 and -35. Gets quieter, and the snow squeak changes from a "scrunch" noise to a real mouse squeak. Better than a thermometer.

Windchill has its place, and in the south areas talking caution makes sense, because you can't buy a decent coat down here. Folks don't have the sense to wear it anyway. Also, nobody has the sense to realize that exposed skin, cold, and wind can be a problem.
But they start talking about windchill before the real temp gets below freezing. I don't think it means squat of consequence before it gets to 20 deg or so.

Northern people usually talk a good line on how the cold isn't a big deal, but also know what to wear to keep it not a problem. So southies ought to be careful taking it seriously.

If you want cold, I recommend a St Louis day where it is 34 degrees and raining. I would rather it were -10, those cold wet days are the pits. Be glad of the "real winter".

BTW, long johns, jeans, a decent office-type shirt, and a Land's end jacket (plus hat etc) were perfect for me at 0. Wasn't even chilly. Colder and I would want to move towards a good coat.

Al Messer
01-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Yep. I have felt "warmer at 0 degrees and no wind than I do when it's 40 degrees and a blowing, misty rain. That's when it feels cold down South.

lynnl
01-24-2003, 04:13 PM
y'all are talking about the difference between "cold" and "uncomfortable". Totally different colored horses. My theory is that your degree of discomfort depends mostly on how bad you'd really rather be somewhere else, doing something different, e.g. reading a good machining article by the fire or cuddled up with your wife (or maybe someone else's http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif )

benedict
01-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Yeah, it's "cold" here, too. I had to wear socks this morning to keep my toes warm. Right now it's sunny, breezy, and about 75F. Gots to love Hawaii.

But the summit is another story. Last week it was down to -20F and close to 100MPH winds. Thank goodness I wasn't up there. I'm scheduled to be up there next week. Here's hoping for a warm spell.

Tom

Spin Doctor
01-24-2003, 06:20 PM
And to think that Sam Clemens once said that the coldest winter he'd ever spent was the summer he spent in San Francisco. I know I've felt colder here SE WI at 0 than up north( yah Thrud I know "up north is a releative term )at 25 to 30 below. That big old lake out there acts as one hell of a humidifier.

lynnl
01-24-2003, 06:27 PM
What I wanta know is What's a jam-tart?

jr45acp
01-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Well guys for what it's worth, I'm in SE Georgia, approx 45 miles north of Jax, Fl. This morning it was 21 with a wind chill of 15. now I know that to the true manly men of the north woods, that ain't nothing! Nevertheless, I work outside and am required to wear a uniform. This consists of a pair of BDu's, sweatshirt and a souped up windbreaker. Employer says it doesn't get cold enough to warrant spending more on winter wear. Even with long Johns, it was damned miserable. I vote for the fire and a good book!

------------------
John B

George Hodge
01-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Last week the weather radio mentioned that we were going to have a "Seasonal Occurance".I still haven't figured out what the heck that was supposed to mean.We did get about 8in. of snow that night. Wind seems to be the biggest factor for comfort,you can dress for the rain,snow,heat.That dang wind though will either drown you or shove the icicles right on through,or suck the juice right out. I've worked outside all my working career.

ShavingMaker
01-24-2003, 10:18 PM
This thread got more posts than I thought it would. It must have been the timing. The cold weather hit everybody this time! I guess it doesn't matter where you are, if you're cold it's miserable and it's probably worse if you don't usually get that kind of weather.

SJorgensen
01-24-2003, 11:13 PM
When I lived in Daytona Beach, FL. The Chamber of Commerce made all the Time/Temperature signs shut down when it got cold. They didn't want the tourists to know it can get cold even down there. Last year at the Olympics here in Salt Lake City, a woman from Moscow commented that it didn't get as cold there as it was here. As cold as it is in the Central and Eastern US it is unusually warm here. It's been getting over 50 deg. here, I won't complain, maybe get a tan.

JasonW
01-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Well in Thunder Bay I think it got down to something like -25 or -29 C, -41 C or so with the wind. I am not used to it either way being from the west coast. I don't understand how people can put up with it. I never seen ice form on the inside of double pane windows before. Nor have I seen:

- icicles hanging from exhaust pipes
- Seen my exhaust form ice on my rear bumber
- tire pressure drop about 10 psi
- 5W/30 oil pour like thick glue (should have used 100 % Synthetic)
- get into my truck then to have instant ice form on the inside of the windows from breathing
- crazy people actually biking to school, and have ice form around their scarfs which covered their face. NUTS !

Not for me. When school is done I am outa here. Yes I may be a wuss, but not that crazy!

------------------

jfsmith
01-26-2003, 06:24 PM
I have been in the northern plains, it gets cold there, but they know how to handle it. I am in Columbus, Ohio at the moment, and we got 5 inches (about 13cm)of snow since morning. Tomorrow morning it's suppose to be about 3 degreesF or about -16 dgereesC. This town will be paralized. I will be home making chips tomorrow.

Jerry

yf
01-26-2003, 09:29 PM
Too bad we can't collect import tarrifs on all that cold Canadian air. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

We could have had a budget surplus by now http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Mcostello
01-26-2003, 10:24 PM
jfsmith where are you? I am in Lancaster.

Thrud
01-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Spin Doctor:
I was in Superior and Deluth when it was -60F (without wind). What was truely pathetic was the guy from FL trying to start his car outside the hotel. I told him to give me his keys and I would start it for him. Walked out in a t-shirt and blue jeans, got in the car, got it started mdae sure it would stay that way and came back in. Bald tires and he drives into the snow belt - doh! And he thought I was crazy. Lake Superior does make it a little miserable there, but not too bad (worst part was listening to the "wind chill" stories).

Coldest I was in was -76F with 50-60 MPH wind. Pants turned into a board the moment you went outside. That is frigging cold. Belts snapped off alternators, rads froze and split with the block heaters plugged in.

jfsmith
01-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Thrud,
I was in Marshall Mn. after years ago, had some business with Schwan foods. It snowed so much and so hard that some houses dissapeared in the snow drifts. I am not sure how cold it was, but it was warm in their telecom room, where I spent a lot of time.
I think people just don't know how to handle the cold and the snow. What ever happen to having your kit in your car? Doesn't anyone have chanines these days.

Jerry

Paul Gauthier
01-26-2003, 11:53 PM
It made it all the way up to 35 degrees today, but going back down to the single numbers tommorow. Pellet stoves have been working overtime.

------------------
Paul G.

wierdscience
01-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Ive been in -30f before not to bad its usually dry can take it aok but down here it gets to be 17or18f and 90%humidity in plain english cold and wet as a well diggers a--!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Thrud
01-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Jerry
People die even on major highways in bad weather. Being ill prepared is the biggest cause. Even a 25 Mile trip can be a killer with the right conditions.

I remember a really bad storm about 1978 it took me 6 hours to drive 12 miles and the only way I could see past the wipers was with my roof rack lights on. 800,000 Cp and I could just barely see a few feet in front of the truck - white knuckle all the way. The wind nearly blew me off the highway...

lynnl
01-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Speaking of being prepared, I once read of a rural mail carrier in the cold country (Montana I think it was) who always made a point of buying his new vehicles WITHOUT a heater. That was of course, to insure he'd always have with him adequate clothing, blankets, etc. to survive in case he got stranded.

jfsmith
01-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Thrud,
During the blizzard of 1978, I was stationed at Fort Campbell. I was a part of a training team for aerial rescue. I was called to the hangar and we would be flying into Ohio to drop off food and fuel to those those traped in their homes. From Cinncinnati to Columbus, we fought very strong winds, many times flying almost side ways. We filled that Huey with food packages and 5 gallon cans of fuel. We saw that people that were trapped on the interstate. We rescued motorist that were very bad off, took children to the hospital. After two days, the Ohio National Guard got their Huey's off the ground to do rescue work. We went back to hangar in Columbus, to get our orders to go home. We flew back to Campbell. Got out of the bird and was told we could take a couple days off. While I was home, I saw on the news that the Ohio National Guard got medals for their rescue efforts, we didn't even get a cup of coffee.
I saw how fast people could freeze in bad weather, how people couldn't drive in the weather, how people were never prepared for bad weather.
I have always had a weeks worth of food in the house, extra fuel for the car, a kersosene heater around, and one really good thing to have on hand, a case of toilet paper.
The one thing that I learned from the Boy Scouts and from the Army is to be prepared.
The moral of the story, is check your records, 6 months after this rescue mission, the Ohio National Guard awarded the pilot and crew of my Huey, the same state medal, but had to go thru their chain of command to get it us.

Jerry

siminov
01-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey Jason
are you at con college or at Lakehead? I have one more sesion at con college to go.I am guessing that if your on this BBS and at con college your in the Dorian building. If so don't you just love walking over to the caffeteria at lunch when It's -30 with the wind just sailing across the parking lot.