PDA

View Full Version : Mill drill vise?

Paul H
01-29-2003, 02:40 PM
What size vise do you find best suited to a mill drill. I'm used to a 6" Kurt on a B-port, but funds aren't going to allow such a set up for awhile. I figure I'll suffer the limitations of a mill/drill for the shot term.

Anyhow, the 5" vises look better suited for the mill drills, will I be giving up to much with the smaller vise?

ckalley
01-29-2003, 03:31 PM
I think a 5" vise might be a little TOO big on a mill/drill.

I have a 3" Kurt on a Burke MillRite and it's good for just about every thing I do. If it dosen't fit in the vise, I strap it to the table. I'd think this might be a good choice for your application.

ChrisAttebery
01-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Paul,

I have a 6" enco on my mill drill. I can't say that I've had any problems with it.

Chris

SGW
01-29-2003, 05:58 PM
I've got a 4" Kurt on my mill, and it's been large enough.
In the perverse way those things work though, the 4" Kurt costs WAY more than the more common 6".....

JCHannum
01-29-2003, 06:23 PM
How big is the average item you plan on milling?
Get a vise that will accomodate that.

nheng
01-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Paul: I've got a 4 inch Kurt clone from Grizzly on my mill/drill. Seems like a good match to the size of the table and range of motion.
Den

wierdscience
01-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Big 100#+vises help deaden evil vibes try a 6" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

sidneyt
01-30-2003, 10:16 AM
I own a RF-31 size mill/drill and have a 4" Enco vise on it now. However, if I were doing it again I would go for the 5" vise. The 5" Enco vise without the swivel base (which I no longer use, BTW) weighs 51 lbs, 19 lb more than the 4" version. And, you don't have to pay truck freight to get it. The slightly larger size and the greater mass would be a plus, yet not so large as to present a challenge in moving it on and off the table. OTOH, the 6" vise is really a big TOO big for a mill/drill with my table size (8.25 x 28.5") IMO. Yes, it will work, but it weights more and takes up too much Y axis space.

Pete Burne
01-30-2003, 03:29 PM
I have a 4" Grizzley swivel base on my Enco mill/drill that works for me and it is proportional to the machine. As mentioned previously, you could probably use a 5" nonswivel and I agree that a 6" is too big.

Pete

Thrud
01-31-2003, 02:54 AM
I use 3" and smaller vises on my Maximat 7, Palmgren ground vises and toolmakers vises. Total lack of space forces the use of the wee ones. I prefer Gerardi Vises on machines large enough to hold one (4"-12" wide jaws)

Paul H
01-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I already have a toolmakers vise, so that will cover the small end.

It looks like the 5" will be the best match for most of what I'll be doing.

Guess I need to start a new thread on suggestions for rotary table sizing, thinking an 8" will be the way to go.