PDA

View Full Version : Kwik-Switch? for my milling machine

ibewgypsie
01-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Anyone know of any place to buy some kwik-switch 200 collets and mill holders?
I got a bridgeport that needs some. I made ONE... it took all day... I was not happy..
it was a experience thou.

Spin Doctor
01-31-2003, 10:39 PM
Every layer of tooling adaptor that you add between the primary rotating element( bearings and shaft )and the cutting tool detracts from the overall rigidity. The only time I've really been satisfied with the Kwik_switch hoders is when the set-up is integral withthe spindle design. Any time you've got that extra adaptor they just aren't as solid. I would say the same thing would apply to the Royal system of interchangable tool holders. The most rigid set-up you can use in a Bridgeport is the R8 adaptors with the setscrew for locking the end mill in. At the very least they slove the problem of the cutter sucking out of the collet. Probably that's how most mill tables get their battlescars

Thrud
02-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Spin Doctor:
You must be thinking of the "Titanic" milling chucks made by Osburn. These are the only type of standard milling chuck that retains enmills safely (threaded shank endmills with clamping flats). Other wise the shrink systems are the only ones currently available without cutter creepage.

I thought you might want to know the worst to most prefered spindle tapers available. HSK63 is currently the best choice for high accuracy and repeatablility. The smaller HSK offerings are in the same league performance wise as the "AST or NST" (7:24) steep taper spindles.

Morse, B&S, or Jarno

R-8

7:24 taper:
American Standard Taper 30, 40, 45, 50, 60 (Styles: Cat V, BT - Japanese std., DIN 69871 German std., NMTB - no tool changer grooves or retention knob/manual machines)

1:10 Taper:
HSK (Hollow Shank Kegel DIN69063 & DIN69893) 30, 40, 63 styles a,b,c,d for low speed machines, styles e,f for high speed machining.