PDA

View Full Version : Evil Bill doth vex me....

Thrud
01-21-2003, 02:55 AM
Alas, Under the heading of poo run down your leg and into your snowboots, or alternately - downhill. I beseach My fellow Hosers for assistance.

Winblows doth sorely vex me, eating all my goodies and all the back ups. So much for backing up. Anyway, to make a long sorrid tale shorter than normal, I need you to email me with your contact info again as my address book was eaten - along with 40Gbytes of important (to me) info. If you care not, well - I will just have to cut you out of the will... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif

And lo, God said unto him "You dumb ****, I told you to use linux, but you just had to play those games, didn't ya?" Hey, I can't argue with God, but I pointed out that few fun games run native in Linux - besides it keeps me from looking at girlie pictures all day long.

CompositeEngr
01-21-2003, 04:00 AM
What's with the backups?
I tried to back up my system a few weeks ago... wouldn't you figure that the first time my shiny new puter screws up is during the backup? I lost a couple of gigs... it almost got my mp3's too, and that would have been unacceptable!

FLPR@juno.com
01-21-2003, 11:22 AM
An alternate to standard back ups is InCD. I just copy all files I want to keep on a CD. If you are unfamiliar with InCD, it is a program that lets you use your CD drive just like a floppy disk. Very convenient and with 700 Megs of storage.

nheng
01-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Thrud:
Thanks for the reminder to backup. I keep a norton ghost image of each hard drive after I get a virgin system the way I want it. Then, I religiously create ghost images of the drive with apps installed. Last time was January '02 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif
Den

Robert Jones
01-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Did it have anything to do with the -37C temps? (that's close to -40F)I've been freezing with 25 to 30F, don't know how you stand it. Bobby

docsteve66
01-21-2003, 04:19 PM
FLPR: I can not get Incd ver 1.5 to format in packets. Sony Abcd looks likethe same program, and I cant get it to work either. The programs attempt to "format cd for packet writing" and then when closing the disc after format, I get a blue screen, error message, press any key and maybe continue. The problems seem to be tied up to a Vxd file- but no names given.
Have you (or any one else) any advice?
Steve

nheng
01-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Doc:
What operating system are you running ? Sony (and other labels) ABCD will not run under Win2k. I gave up on drive letter access (I don't care for Adaptec/Roxio products) and instead use the Sony CD Extreme and drag and drop files or folders onto its file list. Works quite well at the full speed of the drives.

When I absolutely have to have a bootable disk, I break down and use the Adaptec stuff on my wife's Win98 system.
Den

docsteve66
01-21-2003, 10:00 PM
den: i use win98Se OS. Sony Extreme works well here also. Drag and drop is fine for addding files, but since its a one track session, i cant figure out how to delete or add files- thus my desire for packet writing.

Que's "Image" wants to write in packets- using their version of INCD, which is about the same code as Sony ABCD for packet writing. Seems to all trace back to a single program fron Netherlands, that does not work well in Win98SE. I have tried several programs, and when I go to DOS and look at the code, it looks to me like they all use the same core and just jump to various logos and even patches.

ANYONE able to packet write in Win98SE?
Steve

nheng
01-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Steve: I went through the ABCD problem around 8 months ago on a Sony notebook. Their support site specifically says no Win2k support but it should work on Win98SE.

One thing funny about the CDR system stuff. It is very difficult to remove. If you had EVER installed previous programs such as Adaptec (Roxio) or others, they intercept CD system functions. You have to manually remove .dlls and edit the registry to remove them and "cleanse" the system for a different CDR program. Did this successfully many months ago but don't recall the file names. If you are in this situation, a search on Google Groups may help.

All that said, the Adaptec/Roxio stuff does work o...k on Win98SE and allows drive letter access (but only on the same or other systems with the same software).
Den

Thrud
01-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Den

Best back up I am beginning to believe is a BFH (80GB) with just .gho files on it. Tape is too small & slow. DVD is too slow, too small & no one has their **** together on a format yet. CD-R/W is going to make a great floppy - what do ya think?

I am almost at the point of giving up on SCSI. Windows is too damn stupid to recognize it still. Plus the drives are disproportionately expensive over AT133 IDE or Serial IDE

WarHammer
01-22-2003, 12:23 AM
I put a second hard drive in all 5 computers here on the home network.
Each second hard drive has a copy of all 5 machines GHO files, my data folder, digital picture folder, browser favorites, machine shop file downloads etc.
Cross storing it like this is called a "data cloud".
A month or so back my sons hard drive puked at 11 at night. With the extra hard drive I keep around and a boot floppy the machine was back up with a 5 gigs of data in 40 minutes. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//redface.gif}

Jeff

nheng
01-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Thrud:
I have a 40GB and another 40GB HD in my desktop, the 2nd is formatted as a FAT32 drive which ghost wants to see when it boots up in DOS. I created a ghost boot CD which can be booted from the desktop and one of the three notebooks I run for work and play. The notebooks can be tricky to get pc card NICs running but the newer ones tend to have mini-PCI cards built in and mostly Intel 100/10. It takes about 8 minutes to restore a virgin Win2k system. If you're running WinXP, you'll need ghost 2002 as Bill Gates thought that the NTFS file format needed to be different from Win2k.

Bloated apps and operating systems are making DVD-RW attractive (4.7GB formatted) but for speed it's hard to beat hard drives.
Den

FLPR@juno.com
01-22-2003, 01:28 PM
I am running Win98 and the InCD version I am running came with my CD burner. The CD burner is an I/O Magic. When I first started to use it, I couldn.t get it to work for anything except playinf pre-recorded CDs. I was ready to return it to the store but decided to contact the makers technical support. Their first question was "What kind of CDs are you using?" I said Memorex and he said "We have some known issues with them, try something else." I switched to Sony and have had no problems since. InCD has given me no problems at all.

docsteve66
01-22-2003, 07:46 PM
FLPR: Don't let your head swell yet, but you may have solved my problems. Seems as though, long ago (puter time- maybe 6 months) I did have success with packet formating and i used some off brand disk. I am trying to use memorex now,so maybe thats the problem.

Back in 1984 I bought a Sanyo, nice little rig for then. Polaroid 5" disks would malfunction often. Had problems until I got rid of the Polaroid stuff. Puters are weird
thanks bud, Steve

Thrud
01-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Steve Den

I am back to 98SE. I will upgrade at the point of a gun - maybe. Have Ghost 2002.

I have Only Plextor Drives. Reason. They are the only drives that actually get real support, are reliable, identify media on insertion, and never screw up. I run An UltraPlex40max SCSI & PlexWriter 16/10/40A. Software is rock solid on 98SE. You should see these things rip disks!

Another drive that cooks is the Yamaha (that tattoos the unused surface) and the Lite-On 48x24x48x - both of which support MRE (Mount Robson ECC) for failsafe use as future floppies.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 01-24-2003).]

Spin Doctor
02-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Evil Bill hath gottem em also. Screw him and all is minnions, er I think I meant millions and millions.
Wound up having to do a complete reload, Sucks big time http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif