PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Products

Chris Fazio
01-31-2003, 04:58 PM
Sent my non functioning Mitutoyo digital calipers in for repair a couple weeks ago. Called today to see if they received them and when I could expect them back. Good news was they received them, bad news was I might get them back by the end of Feb. I have to wonder what kind of quality they make if they're that backed up with repair work.

Chris

Spin Doctor
01-31-2003, 05:36 PM
I've wondered about their digital stuff too. We've got a 24"/600MM digital height gage that went south. The plant gage repair dept sent it into Mitutoyo for repair. They sent it back un repaired. We never could get a straight story out of anybody. Guess they make more money off of the sales of new items. All in all seems very uncharacteristic of a Japanese company.

wierdscience
01-31-2003, 07:14 PM
I have a pair of 8"calipers from Mit. I wouldn't trade for anything.I also have a 12" pair That after six years of use and abuse needed a new display I sent them in and it took them about 3 weeks to return them.I didn't consider that to be to bad because I had sent in a Starret2-3"analog digital mic.to be repaired and it took them 2-1/2 weeks.But all in all the Mit. is a quality product and the 8" are approaching five years themselves the next time they go down I will replace them with new ones because of the amount of use I have recieved from them.I used to buy only rack type calipers and if I got a year out of a pair I was lucky.The digitals are so much better than gear teeth.

RICK DELONG
01-31-2003, 09:35 PM
All I have are starrett dial calipers.I've never used a digital calipers, How are they in comparison, as to feel, and accuracy.

Thrud
02-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Rick

I have checked my Mitutoyo digitals against gage blocks and the readings are for all practical purposes - dead nuts. Even the 50 millionth reading mikes are dead nuts if care is taken to properly clean the anvils and let the mike stabilize in temp - holding them too long will affect the reading at this endd of the spectrum.

So, don't loose any hair over it. Check them once in a while to make sure nothing goofy is going on.

I have 3 brands and prefer the Mitutoyo over Starretts & B&S - any day. They are good rugged tools for a reasonable price.

Digitals have one great advantage - fast conversion from Metric to Inch or back the other way. If you have bad eyes, Fowler has one with very large numbers. Starrett has a new low cost unit out that looks good and is about $100 CDN ($60US) but I have not tried it. I do not like Starretts other digital calipers at all or their mikes.

SGW
02-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Well, there you go. I'd take Starrett over Mitutoyo any day. Differences of opinion make horse races.....

DR
02-01-2003, 11:15 AM
My next pair of digital califers will be the B&S model that's coolant proof. I have a drawer full (well, not quite full) of various makes of digitals that no longer function after getting a little coolant on them.

Some of these got coolant off of our hands which really shouldn't have damaged them. At least one other was exposed to a direct blast in the coolant stream. In all cases the local repair guys said it wasn't economical to repair.

My new favorite for quick measurements is the B&S dial califer without the thumb roller. Very quick to adjust to size. Street price around $90.

DR

Thrud
02-01-2003, 08:16 PM
SGW:
Don't get me wrong, I have lots of Starrett tools, I just prefer the Mitutoyo green paint and thimbles. Mitutoyo has the best digital calipers, but Sylvac has this one 6" caliper that I would like to get (millionths!) but not for $2k - that is for sure...

There are some tools Starrett or Mitutoyo make that are better than their competitions product and that is where I draw the line. I get the best (my opinion) from whoever makes that item. So my tool boxes are a zoo of sorts - lots of different animals. I have the odd low grade item - but I hide those well... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

SGW
02-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Indeed. I've got an assortment of everything too...including Mitutoyo.