PDA

View Full Version : OT:Adobe Acrobat and scanning

rockrat
03-26-2006, 06:38 PM
For all of you Adobe experts out there. I have a copy of adobe acrobat 5.0. I would like to scan an old article that has text and photos.

The question, can I scan the article with higher resolution so that the OCR will work (for searching text) and then scan the photos so that they look good. Then, put the two together in and adobe file.

I have used each part seperately. I have done an OCR. I even scanned a book at hig rez hoping to ocr the scanned text into regular text and adjust the photos to achive a filesize that is not stupid big. But it takes up an entire cd. And I cant search or make a nice table of contents.

Thoughts. Even? Anyone?
Hello, is this thing on?
Buler..... Buler.......
:D
rock-

John Stevenson
03-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Mr R Rat,
Have a look and see if you can get hold of a package called Abbyy Fine Reader.
This is like Omnipage and similar programs and allows you to scan in and clean up, then save as txt, word or pdf.

I have played with a few packages and find this one to be the best as it doesn't try to rearrange the page.
Brilliant at doing column pages like mag's
I can get a full page jpg scan down from about 2 meg to a 200K pdf file

Good news is it's been on the cover of a few computer mags as a freeby around V6 which is what I still use. Don't know if it was released in the US as cover disks but it was in the UK.
Bad news is it's Russian and I don't think they like you yet :D as it's always been a lot more expensive in the US than the UK

kc5ezc
03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Sir John and RockRat: Ruskie or not Abbyy Fine reader is good scanner software. It used to come bundled with Microtec scanners. I have used it for several years in various computer incarnations. Works well.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

rockrat
03-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm off to give it a try. Thanks gents.
rock-

Evan
03-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Agree with John, Fine Reader is about the best OCR software. As for final file sizes it takes a lot of care to avoid producing giant PDFs. The culprit is the photos. You need to resize them so that the actual photo resolution closely matches the resolution of the display. Your computer screen generally displays at 96 dots per inch (dpi) regardless of the actual resolution of the original image. Higher resolution in a photo allows for the ability to zoom in and see more detail but it does nothing to improve the display at the default display size. If you scan your photos at 96dpi they will take much less file space as the file size of a photo increases as the square of the resolution. This may sound like low resolution but it isn't as the total resolution of the image depends on the dpi AND the actual size of the image, not just the dpi.

This is a 96 dpi image:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/bearing.jpg

Also, use the appropriate image file type for the image. For complex images such as the above jpeg is most suitable. The amount of compression used when saving a jpeg image has a large effect on final file size and quality. You need to find the best compromise through trial and error.

The above image was saved with 20 percent compression in Paint Shop Pro and is 32 kb in size. By applying a tiny amount of blur and setting the save compression to 40 percent the image file size is reduced to 20kb with virtually no loss in quality. A slight amount of gaussian blur applied to an image will reduce the final jpeg image file size considerably without making a noticable difference to the quality.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/bearing1.jpg

For line drawings and charts use the GIF format. It is better able to handle sharp edges and sudden changes in color such a a switch from a white background to a black line. It also is a lossless image compression method and produces the best results on simple images with large areas of the same color. It does not do well with complex images with many colors and changes of color like the one above.

Under no circumstances use BMP images. These are totally uncompressed image files and will produce giant file sizes regardless of the original image.

kc5ezc
03-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey Guys: "A Few Scanning Tips" by Wayne Fulton http://www.scantips.com is a great reference to help understand the issues in printing and viewing photos. The web site has most of the book online or you can order it. No connection, just a happy customer.
John Burchett
in Byng OK