X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne02
    • Mar 2004

When you subscribed to HSM magazine...

was it your expectation that access to an internet discussion forum was part of what you were purchasing, or not?

When I subscribed, it was not my expectation that access to a subject specific internet discussion forum was part of what I was purchasing. But then again, maybe I was not paying attention. During the sales/subscription process, is the existence of the forums even mentioned??

Wayne
  • PTSideshow
    • Nov 2005

I agree with you about the magazine the idea for me was the paper version. And the info/projects that maybe of use to me. The bbs was here for a while before I signed on. Some times it is a benifit some times a curse when I spend to much time on it.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

This forum is operated by Village Press under their advertising budget and is used by them to build product awareness. It gives all who attend here, posters and lurkers, exposure to the simple fact that Village Press has products to sell that you may be interested in buying. You will note that at the top of every page is a direct link to the home page of the Home Shop Machinist and Machinist's Workshop.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Evan
        • May 2003

Incidentally, having a forum such as this associated with the internet presence of the magazines ensures that searches performed on any of the major search engines on virtually any topic relating to machining will result in numerous hits that lead here. That alone is sufficient reason to budget for this forum and provide it.

[edit]

Also, because of that it means that in many cases the first impression formed by people about Village Press products will be that which they form from exposure to this forum and its appearance and utility. For that single reason it matters a lot how this forum looks and works.
        Last edited by Evan; 03-29-2006, 01:02 PM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• C - ROSS
          • Nov 2004

When I subscribed the internet was not readily available in this area, and VP didn’t have a presence on the net. I defiantly did not have any expectations of having this forum. If fact when I subscribed the internet was used only buy institutions of higher learning.

Ross
          GUNS Don't kill people
          Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

• RPease
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by C - ROSS
            When I subscribed the internet was not readily available in this area, and VP didn’t have a presence on the net. I defiantly did not have any expectations of having this forum. If fact when I subscribed the internet was used only buy institutions of higher learning.

Ross

That must have been about the time Al Gore invented the internet............
            RPease

Comment

• C - ROSS
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by RPease
              That must have been about the time Al Gore invented the internet............
              Even before Al Gore ever heard of the word internet

Ross
              GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

C Ross, same here I subscribed in the early '90s.

The internet and computers weren't affordable to me, yet.

Comment

• C - ROSS
                  • Nov 2004

IOWOLF
                  You are trying to make an old man think, (BAD ).

If memory serves me I think my earliest issue was in 87 or 88. When the snow goes away, and I can get back to my shop I’ll check and then re-post.

Ross
                  GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

Nahhh,Just concentrate on walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Comment

• TECHSHOP
                      • Jan 2006

C - ROSS:

Why is the type in your post increadibly tiny? On my computer it looks like a bad OCR scan. Are you "cut-n-paste" from a different software? Not complaining, just curious.

I had hopes of purchasing a large amount of the VP books at Cabin Fever, but my long term lack of income, a new baby and oil heat, really has hit my "tooling" budget hard. I hope to be better off next year. I want to see the complete projects, not just the few issues I have collected over the years.

There is another magazine (not metal working) that I had subscribed to for years, thought I would "always" subscribe but editorial changes happen and I now only pick up an issue or two at the news stand. Their web site, everything is "pay to see", and is so loaded with ads for their products and worthless e-mail lists that I don't even go there anymore.

I like the soft sell of VP, the magazines, and this web site.
                      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

• C - ROSS
                        • Nov 2004

TECHSHOP

Ya I have been using word and then cut and paste. Gosh on my screen it looks good. Will use the provided font and size and see how it looks.

I can still remember how it was when we had kids at home, the shop budget was the first to suffer.

And yes mag's do change usually dut to a sale or your interests change as time marches on.

Ross
                        GUNS Don't kill people

Comment

• charlie coghill
                          • Mar 2001

I believe that some where around 1985 is when I subcribed. The Machinest Workshop was not being published, actually it's predicessor Projects in Metal.
                          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

• TECHSHOP
                            • Jan 2006

After having "issues" with posting on the "old" site I started to "cut-n-paste" but it made no difference on the screen except for some strange "hard returns." I haven't tried it here. I know that on some sites it seemes that every poster had his own favorite font. Just thought you might be unaware of what was showing up on the other side.

The magazine that I was speaking of had a rather abrupt change, from a "reader/doer" written format, to one that was more concerned about not offending the advertisers, product placement, and none ending "puff pieces". It was not sold to another publisher, they just had a "market research think tank" change that sucked the life out of the mag, it became just one of many, not longer the stand out leader it had been since its first issue. I think that the internet will go "suit" soon enough, between government, lawyers, and corp. sponsers.

I may not build everything that is published by VP, but I like the "hands on and do it" nature. It has swung up and down, but has always remained rooted in its editorial goal.
                            Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

• lane
                              • Aug 2005

first issue

first issue was Jan . Feb . 1982.Volume 1 Number 1 have every one.
                              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X