X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charlie coghill
    • Mar 2001

Harbor Fright Tool Grinder

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a harbor fright tool grinder. At first it did not seem to be a bad machine except it did viberate more than I liked. Dressing the wheels corrected most of the viberation.

Than I decided that I wanted a diamond wheel and so ordered one from Enco for $83. 00. When I tried to install the new diamond wheel it would not fit the backing plate. The hub of the backing plate was 1.253 while the diamond wheel hole measured 1.251.

Also the orginal green wheels were mounted using 8mm shoulder bolts and they would not work with the diamond as it used a flat head screw diameter unknown but less than the 8mm. I don't have any way of measuring a metric female thread and I don't have any metric bolts.

Now on the backing plate are 4 extra tapped holes that a 1/4X20 screw would just try to start in.

So I pulled off one of the backing plates to make the 50 mile trip to the hardware store and get the correct bolts for the diamond wheel and ones that would work in the smaller holes as the 8mm would not go through the mounting holes in the diamond wheel.

When I pulled off the backing plate I looked at the bore of the backing plate. There was a great big void that had been bored across also the backing plate looked like it may have some cracks or could be just markings from the mold that they were cast in, it is hard to tell. The void was so big that I feel the backing plate is unsafe to use. I showed this to a friend that had his own machine shop for years and he felt the same way as I do, it is unsafe.

The backing plate have a keyway cut in them but the motor shaft is drilled and a spring pin put in and that is used for the key. One one side of the motor the spring is flush with the motor shaft and does not do a dam thing.

I know I probably should take the grinder back but the next one maybe just as bad or worse. I think that I will get some material and just make new backing plates. This way they will fit any of the wheels that are purchased in the future.

My advice to anyone that has purchased one of the grinders is to pull the backing plates and look them over real well.

Hope this was not to long winded and someone may get some help from this post and maybe avoid an accident.
    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/
  • Smokedaddy
    • Mar 2003

Hi,

If you indeed make new backing plates, it sure would be nice if you posted pictures of the project.

-SD:

Comment

• daryl bane
      • Jan 2003

Those plates are alittle rough. There was enough meat on mine to turn them round and flat. And yes,I had to redrill and tap the holes so a diamond wheel would fit. But it runs smooth as silk now.

Comment

• WJHartson
        • Oct 2002

Charlie, Take a look at this thread it may be of some help with your problem.

Joe

Comment

Wow, did I ever get luckie,No vibration , upgraded spigot,Right out of the box.
          I am a satisfied customer,though I do like the Mods. Joe made.

Comment

Thanks to Charlie for the heads up and for pointing to Joe's excellent modifications for this grinder and thanks to Joe.

This grinder is getting a lot of attention on this board with tips and modifications being discussed. People are buying this new Asian import tool knowing that it will need some modifications to make it an even better addition to the workshop. This brings up a point that is very, very interesting to me.

Maybe people who are interested in this grinder and all the discussions about it should better understand the people who are interested in buying and modifying the new mini-lathes and mini-mills that are so popular these days.

The people buying the grinders are of like-mind with many of those who have bought mini-lathes and mini-mills. Now maybe there will be fewer put-downs on those of us who have mini-lathes/mini-mills. But then again, maybe not. Time will tell.

Just an observation,
            Dan
            Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Apples and Oranges.

Comment

How so?

Don't be embarassed IOWOLF. You're one of us now.

Comment

How so? becouse I have a H/F grinder that I thing is great,or becouse I have a grizzly 7x12 lathe, that I never use?

Comment

• WJHartson
                    • Oct 2002

I think that the Asian machines and equipment has been out there long enough now that people understand that most of it will not work out of the box. The first piece that I bought was in about 1981 with the expectation that it would work when I got it. Big surprise when it didn't but with some work and tuning it worked fine. It was a lathe from Grizzly 12x36 belt drive. Next was a mill drill and the same thing. I don't own either of these anymore but they are still in operation today but require maintenance attention to keep the running.

One of the differences today is that there are a lot of new people that want to work with metal and they compare metal working equipment to wood working machines. To me there is a big difference. The small metal working machines are a good place to start and learn for relatively small amounts of money.

The tool grinder is a basic tool and if you can get it to run without vibration and put a good set of wheels on it you have a good tool grinder for the home shop. Make modifications that fit your needs and you will be happy with it. To get some of the other equipment operational and accurate is not as easy and takes a lot more work but it can be done.

My experience with the import tools is that Tiawain items are a lot better than the those made in China. The first item that I bought were made in Tiawain and they were about the same as those made in China now.

Joe

Comment

Is that the best you can do to prove my point is an "apples and oranges" comparison?

Fortunately, my mini-lathe and mini-mill required no more than cleaning and setting up to work great right out of the box but they're Grizzly products instead of HF or Enco.

Does Grizzly make a version of the grinder under discussion?

Thanks.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I've made another observation I'd like to bring up.

Why aren't there a bunch of folks crying "Chicom! Chicom!" or something about the evils of purchasing one of these grinders and what it will do to our economy? I would have thought at least a half dozen or so individuals would have been scolding the people who have purchased one of these. After all, Travers Tool Company is running a great sale on the Baldor version of this grinder for only $906.30 but that's without any grinding wheels. If you want 2 diamond wheels that's going to run you another $806.40. (Good thing the wheels are on sale too!)

That's a grand total of $1,712.70. What a deal!!!

Come on folks! Bring on the scolding!!! Tell us why we hobbyists shouldn't be buying the Asian products and should be buying US made Baldor instead.

Comment

Ditto, that

Comment

• TECHSHOP
                            • Jan 2006

pgmrdan:

The most likely answer to you question is that it is Thursday, the weekend rants are still 24 hours away.

BUT, I can start early, if you really, really want.
                            Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Swing away TECHSHOP! Swing away!

Comment

Working...
                              X