PDA

View Full Version : New BBS: GMT Time Display

lynnl
04-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm probably in a minority of one on this, but I'll grouse about it anyway. :D

I've worked with GMT all my adult life, primarily working in military aviation and weather, which is 100% GMT. I love it. It long ago became as natural to me as night and day. Wish the whole world would adopt it!

BUT..., I've never (up until now) seen it expressed in other than the 24hour format. Now, when it's past 1200GMT I find myself having to go thru mental arithmatic gyrations to convert it to my time.

Anyone else bothered by this?

Mike Burdick
04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
lynnl,

Go to User CP and then Edit Options. Scroll to bottom and adjust time for your area.

Jim Caudill
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
No, I'm not at all bothered by it. When I flew as a pilot for 20 years, I thought in terms of "Zulu" time for all activities relating to flying - especially the weather reports of reported and forecast conditions. Of course now GMT is no more since England no longer wanted to pay for the time keeping standard and it is now referred to as UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). When I was home or at my desk, I thought in purely "local" time. Similarly, when I was in the USAF, we talked in the 24hr time format; but when I came home it was "we're going to eat dinner around 6", not 1800 hours. We tried to leave the military at the base as much as possible.

When I was spending a lot of time in the labs in college, I talked and thought in terms of cc's instead of ounces and centigrade (Celsius) instead of degrees F. In physics class we used degrees Kelvin. When I walked out to my car and sat on the hot seats, I didn't say "Wow, it must be 32C in the shade" - I said "It must be 90 degrees outside".

But to be precise, I'm not sure that "4:00 pm UTC" is a legitimate expression. I have always seen such time expressed in the 24 hour format. I set this BBS for my local time and forget it.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I get extremely confused with time unless it's presented to me in jiffies relative to the time that I woke up :D

Evan
04-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I get extremely confused with time unless it's presented to me in jiffies relative to the time that I woke up
Would that be .01 seconds, 1/60 of a second, 1/50 second, a nanosecond or 33.3564 picoseconds? All legitimate intervals named a jiffy.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Would that be .01 seconds, 1/60 of a second, 1/50 second, a nanosecond or 33.3564 picoseconds? All legitimate intervals named a jiffy.

My interval is 1 hour, and I last about 17 jiffies before I crash.

Stick
04-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I've lived and worked in 24hr time so long I find AM and PM very confusing. And the times of the posts on here are coming through as AM and PM, even though every other setting on my 'puter is on 24hr time.

AM and PM to me is like saying that way, that way, that way and that way instead of North, South, East and West.

Leigh
04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I get extremely confused with time unless it's presented to me in jiffies relative to the time that I woke up :D

Awwww c'mon, Adrian, who're you spoofin? When was the last time you woke up? Last Century? :p

LES A W HARRIS
04-17-2006, 10:32 AM
lynnl,

Go to User CP and then Edit Options. Scroll to bottom and adjust time for your area.

For me, since the changeover:
Thread dispay options, Thread age Locked! Number of posts per page, Locked!
Mode, Locked!

Date and time, GMT, Locked!

Miscellaneous, Locked!

Member list, Locked!

Stick
04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
lynnl,

I had no prob setting the time zone, but is there a way to get it into 24hr mode? This AM and PM stuff is really confusing.