PDA

View Full Version : Gold rush

thistle
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I was moving my gas furnace , which sits on a steel bench ,the bench has about an inch and ahalf of sand on top so you dont have problem breaking crucibles, or spilling hot metal.

I spilled the sand on the ground and bent down and poked my finger through it- well dammed if i have not picked up about a table spoon full of gold so far.

fellow who used it before must have turned his crucibles over on the sand to cool and over the years all the bits collected in the sand.

nice end to the day!

DancingBear
04-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Just checked the markets, gold is down to $592.70/Troy oz. Down seven bucks for the day. And it will have to be assayed, it's probably not 24kt.

Still, it's a nice windfall. Go buy some new toys with it! Make the rest of us envious! :D

Walt

Evan
04-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Umm, are you sure it's not brass?

IOWOLF
04-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Oh , Evan I was going to let him go to the assayers office or pawn shop with his findings.

SJorgensen
04-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Better check for the remnants of old teeth too.

Norman Atkinson
04-08-2006, 03:19 AM
What a funny post!

My wife is was a dentist and used to collect the old gold fillings which she made up into trinkets.
Unifortunately, these will not assay as the alloying metal is platinum.

The story goes that when the old Dental School in Newcastle was closed down the wooden floors were taken out and burnt to recover the tiny fragments which had collected.

Now then- panning for gold. One of my mates was a member of the British Gold Panning Team.

Oh, and Thistle! The gold is found on the 3 degree West line. It runs from Cornwall, through Welsh Wales, into the Scottish Lowlands and pops out on the Black Isle.

Good luck with your prospecting.

Norm

speedy
04-08-2006, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=NORMAN ATKINSON]What a funny post!Now then- panning for gold. One of my mates was a member of the British Gold Panningteam.Norm/QUOTE]

Good evening Norm. So how did they fare at Canberra then?? They should have cleaned up eh

"The story goes that when the old Dental School in Newcastle was closed down the wooden floors were taken out and burnt to recover the tiny fragments which had collected."

And plenty of mercury too I bet!:eek:

Ken

Norman Atkinson
04-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Ken,
there's gold for them thar Bills!

and enough to Amalgam-ate- Right, mate.

Venus and Mercury?

The moaning Star?

speedy
04-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Norman you are too sharp.
" there's gold for them thar Bills!"
So, how will that assist me? my name is Ken. Deed poles?
and Norm, It has been some time since I have heard Venus moaning in the early morning.

Ken

Norman Atkinson
04-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Norman you are too sharp.
" there's gold for them thar Bills!"
So, how will that assist me? my name is Ken. Deed poles?
and Norm, It has been some time since I have heard Venus moaning in the early morning.

Ken

Ken, I thought that you were a Kiwi not a Pole.
As for being Deed, you only fell off your crutches.
I hope that it will need a lot more to polish( ?) you off.

As an off topic, I was reading- not the Da Vinci Code but the Book of Hiram by Lomas and Knight and there is something about the Shekinah and Mercury and Venus in it.

Very close to home, Ken. I wear the Star of India on my Squadron badge.
Five pointed, golden and that.

I wus born under a wundering Star.

Cheers Mate

Norm

kf1002002
04-09-2006, 05:56 PM
This storey of recovering gold from old floorboards is perfectly reasonable. I had a friend years ago, dead now who was an engraver doing inscriptions on gold jewellery among other things. He tore up his shop floor to renew it, the salesman from the gold supplier came in at the strategic time and asked for the torn up floor. My friend told me that he recovered enough gold to pay for the new floor.

Ken

Scottike
04-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Just Drop it in the mail to one of those gold buying outfits that advertise on TV to get all the little old grandmas jewelry.

Norman Atkinson
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I wonder what you would all say if someone wanted all their gold fillings removed at death.

Norm.

thistle
04-10-2006, 09:39 AM
I wonder what you would all say if someone wanted all their gold fillings removed at death.

Norm.

just gargle with mercury before you go!

Norman Atkinson
04-10-2006, 10:27 AM
In Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

I know an old lady who*******

Norm

snowman
04-10-2006, 10:56 AM
It is quite common for jewelers or jewelry repair houses to pull up the carpet every five years and send it to the refinery. What gets past the bench is pretty amazing.

Evan
04-10-2006, 12:40 PM
There is a good reason that carpet is used in sluice boxes.

TECHSHOP
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
What little gold I own, is mostly in my teeth, if you are willing to comfort my widow, should I pass first...