PDA

View Full Version : Lathe question for lugnut

TECHSHOP
04-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Lug:

Not wanting to hijack the thread that your ring roller/shop picture showed was posted, I have a few questions for you.

I have (mostly) a G0516 lathe, and its manual. What I don't have is most of the tooling, as I got it from the Griz "junk and trash" sale. As I "rebuild" this machine (some broken parts), but it does run.

Are there any "modifications" that you have done? Pics? Prints? I am thinking of mostly threading related inhancements, possible motor upgrade, and dumping the tail stock "wrench to lock" system.

Is there a worthwile web site(s) for this machine?

I am trying to figure out what others have "upgraded" and just "make it right" instead of simply replacing everything OEM.

Rex
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
There is a Yahoo group for this specific machine. Quite active last I checked.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SiegM2andGrizzlyG0516/?yguid=122382924

Seig M2 is the same thing.
The lathe is also availabe separately from several vendors.
www.littlemachineshop.com has some items for this.

The mill part is the upper from an X2 minimill. You can buy the base separately from LMS and have two standalone machines

Nice machine, enjoy

Rex

lugnut
04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Not knowing any thing about machine work other than what I have picked up from the good ol boys on this forum and a few web sites, I have been a little leery of getting too wild with modifications. But I have done a few. Inlayed a small steel rule in the top of the tailstock ram, made camlock for the tailstock. a stop block for the cartridge. I’ve added a spring loaded lock button for the mill so I could loosen or tighten the drawbar without inserting their pin thing.
I made a handle to hand power the lathe for threading because it’s slowest speed was too fast for me to be conformable with.

A good site for mods and things is: http://members.optushome.com.au/terrybrown/
And there are others such as:
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Modifications/modifications.htm
It’s not the best tool by far, but for dummy like me with a very limited space, I’ll make it work.
Be glad to help with what ever I can.
Mel

TECHSHOP
04-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I wanted one of the Japanese lathes that had adds in VP, but understand the situation and desision that company made concerning the USA market. The Griz looked like a good choice in this size lathe, and the left hand threading is something I "needed". My machine does not have the minimill portion, and have a larger mill (presently in non-op condition) at home. The lathe is just a machine for the house, so I don't have to drive (~50 min) to Pop's Shop for the "quick and little" stuff. The damage is mostly cosmetic, the spindle pully is the only "important" part that needs replaced to be "fully" functional. The largest diameter is "chiped out". I have an USA motor, same RPM and HP, that I might replace the factory one with, then set up more shafts and pullies like the Rivitt 715(?) I had. I will place the motor below the bench top to get it out of the "swarf sucking zone". Maybe a DC motor might be a better choice? I want to be able to fine tune the rpms, using the pullies to get close. I agree that "slow" speed is a little quick, and no threading dial is a "bummer". I hadn't thought of the ruler thing, I have a few decimal inch rulers, I don't want to cut them down (thick stainless steel, length ~20 and ~30 inches). Most of your other mods are what I had in mind. Hadn't looked at "Varmit Al's" site for a while, looks like there is some new stuff (to me).

I have been thinking of joining a few Yahoo groups, but have put it off because I am unsure of what other crap is along for the ride (spam, pop ups...).