PDA

View Full Version : whats in your shop

woofer98
04-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Hello I am new to this board and to machining. just wondering what kind of tools and machines everyone has

IOWOLF
04-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Expensive ones. ;)

nheng
04-07-2006, 08:33 PM
12,000 lbs. and up ;)

You may find that an increasing number of people are becoming sensitive to this question, especially with the turnover rate on some of these forums. Den

TECHSHOP
04-07-2006, 08:44 PM
In a word: RUST

nheng
04-07-2006, 08:51 PM
What sorts of things are you interested in making?

Lots of guys (women included) start with fairly basic tools like hacksaws, hammers, hand drill, set of files and screwdrivers.

A common step up is a small lathe (size of course depends on what you're gonna do with it and what kind of machines are in your area).

After a lathe, a small grinder and metal cutting bandsaw are common "upgrades".

Many wish lists then tack on a milling machine (again, size dependent on use and availability of machines).

If you lean toward fabricating larger, heavier stuff (cars, trucks, carts, rocket sleds, etc. ;) ) then welding may be of interest. (Also good for artistic stuff).

Den

rockrat
04-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Well the list would include a Bridgeport, a dearly loved Van Norman, lathe, surface grinder, layout plate, RPC and a bunch of unfinished projects. One of these days Ill get back to them. Funny how ones life ebbs and flows allowing or denying the pursuit of all things metal.

rock-give me another beer, I'm being poetic (or is that pathetic?)-rat :D

CCWKen
04-07-2006, 10:17 PM
You want my address and vacation schedule too?

For an unknown, that's not the kind of question to be asked here. Where are you located and what are your interests?

speedy
04-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Hello I am new to this board and to machining. just wondering what kind of tools and machines everyone has

Welcome woofer, you wil have to show yours first mate. If it`s not as impressive as ours....... then maybe they will :D

Ken

Boomer
04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
I've got a Grizzly G1007 mill drill and a G4016 lathe, but don't tell anyone ;-/
Bruce

JRouche
04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
just wondering what kind of tools everyone has

I got a screw driver (chipped blade), a crescent wrench (made in china), a hammer (actually a brick, doubles as a door stop), and sand paper (actually the brick again). I love my tools :) JRouche

lane
04-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Tools check this out. www.cp-tel.net/mary/mary-index.htm

Forrest Addy
04-07-2006, 11:27 PM
What's in my shop? To a disinterested second party, hard to dispose of JUNK! To me, good stuff. Tons of it.

Tinkerer
04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
I got a screw driver (chipped blade), a crescent wrench (made in china), a hammer (actually a brick, doubles as a door stop), and sand paper (actually the brick again). I love my tools :) JRouche
See J that's the trouble... those imported screwdriver chisels are made from soft steel. You just grind them till it's red hot and then spit on it to temper. You might be able to use your door stop but your arms might fall off. :eek:

I've got ladybugs in my shop. :D

woofer98
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
well i kinda figued most people would be sensative about what have in their shop, but I just wanna know cause as i start messing around more and learning to do more the trade I wanna wanna get some stuff ;) , Na for real I kinda wanna get a feel on the importance of having certain tools, on a scale of 1 to 10

as for what i have in my shop, a bandsaw/ press/ tig and mig welder/ table saw, drill press, and various other hand tools

one other question if so many peps get upset about the question being asked then y do so many of you post pictures of your tools on here. or to sign up on alot of web forums people show their email, their state and city of were they live. I do agree with alot of you thought I have had stuff stolen before but it wasnt because of something i posted on the internet it was because some have nots decided to enter a area of the neigborhood were people get up everymoring and go to work to get what they have and decided to get that same stuff the easyway.

Mcgyver
04-08-2006, 12:04 AM
yeah, and JR makes 18 cylinder radials with that stuff on the kitchen table.

get some of the old English books, the amateur's workshop, the beginners workshop and the amateur's lathe - It will give a great appreciation of what can be accomplished with hand tools and a small lathe (mostly myford in those books. It takes time to assemble a high quality shop as most try for high quality industrial stuff at hobbyist prices...you could just go drop a 100k but that takes all the fun out of it

don't know why anyone would be upset, except what someone with 10+ years has acquired isn't all the applicable to a newbie. If I were you, I'd be looking for a used NA lathe and mill next, then take a few years off to fully accessorize them then go bank into the market for a surface and tool & cutter grinder.

Bill Cook
04-08-2006, 12:26 AM
If you had a mill, a lathe, and a surface grinder, your space would be a machine shop. You could do a lot without the surface grinder tho.

BC

CCWKen
04-08-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't have hardly any tools in the shop right now. They're all sitting outside! Or might as well be. The dust storm that went through here yesterday filled the three-walled shop with all kinds of crud. Looks like a sand box in the shop now. :(

Most of my stuff is sheet metal tools but I do machining too. I restore antique and classic autos and make parts not available otherwise. When I'm not making car parts, I'm making tooling or dies for the sheet metal tools.

I'm adding onto the shop, hence the three walls, so I'm not doing too much of anything right now. Picked up some old tools to add to the collection recently but otherwise, I'm loafing. :D

Mcgyver
04-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Bill completely agree, i was being somewhat tongue in check at the way the iron gets in your veins and becomes a bit of a disease. as someone such aflicted, it impairs the judgement between what's a need and what's a want. I'd probably be looking for a horizontal boring mill by now if i had a bigger garage :D

woofer98
04-08-2006, 12:53 AM
thanks bill and Mcgyver, I have always been interest in machining and woodworking since i was a kid watching my grandfather in his shop. he was the type of person that would rather learn and pay for the tools to fix or do a project rather than pay someone to just do it. But sadly he passed before i was even a teenager and all his tools were sold off. I always wanted to get into this and since i finished school and just bought a house a few months ago i plan on start researching and hitting up swap meets and auctions etc..

A friend of mine has a atlas lathe and a bridgeport clone and recently we made a drive shaft to couple a diesel engine to a 30kw generator head that i had laying around. It was great pulling out the machinst handbook and getting the specs to turn this shaft to be force fitted into the diesel flywheel and cut a key way on the other end to put a lovejoy coupling on it to couple the shaft to the generator. so far it works really nice and its even better seeing how well it works considering alot of people said their is no way to adapt a deisel engine from a car to run a generator and set it up with a governor to maintain load and frequency

dicks42000
04-08-2006, 12:58 AM
OK, well Atlas & South Bend lathes, mills, universal grinder, large Chicom drill press, hyd. press, welders etc....If I had room & power, a Bullard Cutmaster VTL before the horizontal boring mill. More use for what I'd do to make money in the shop....A bigger shop could fill up with tons of useless iron, though.

Mad Scientist
04-08-2006, 01:48 AM
The toys one gets/needs/wants depends on ones interests and the size of your projects. I like working with wood, metal, electronics, & cars

Thus for wood I have:
Table saw, miter saw, band saw, jigsaw, planer, jointer, belt sander, disc sander, drill press, wood lathe, router table.

For metal:
10” SB lathe, milling machine, bench grinder, horizontal band saw, surface grinder, sheet metal brake, corner notcher, arbor press, sandblasting cabinet.

For electronics:
Meters, oscilloscope, power supplies, wave & pulse generators, frequency counter.

For automotive:
The typical list of air tools, spray guns, powder coating booth, hydraulic jacks, engine hoist, acetylene torch.

In addition there is the usually array of small hand tools plus assorted pieces of scrape metal, wood, and plastic just waiting to be made into something.

Oh yes at one end of the shop I have reluctantly consented to allow friend wife to have a small storage area and freezer chest. :D

[It is hard to do nothing. You never know when you are finished.]

HWooldridge
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Coal Forges, Propane Forges, Shop Anvils, Post and/or Machinist Vises, Sheldon 10x36 Lathe, Bridgeport 9x42 Vertical Mill, 100 pound “Beaudry” Power Forging Hammer, 50 ton Dake Hydraulic Press, 36x24 Trinco Blast Cabinet, Miller 150 MIG Welder, Miller Synchrowave 250 TIG/SMAW Welder, Ingersoll Rand 175 psi Air Compressor with 120 gallon tank, 4x8 Steel Layout Tables and a "few" hand tools. I don't do wood work so my only small portable thing for wood is a 7-1/2" Skil saw.

vdisney
04-08-2006, 03:38 PM
9" SBL, benchtop mill, knee mill (in pieces), mig, tig, horizontal band saw, torchs, misc grinders, rotary tables, indexing heads, etc. Not to mention 28 years as a diesel mechanic for the state of CA brings you in Snap On tools.

Need (want) small collet lathe, 7" shaper and a full size BP

BTW, new poster but old reader

jdunmyer
04-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, I have a B'Port, 19X54 LeBlond Lathe, Harbor Freight 7X10 lathe, and more hand tools than I can count. My wife has a complete woodshop that she lets me use when I need it. Also, a sawmill to supply the lumber.

I certainly wouldn't have said that you can't couple up an automobile Diesel engine with a generator and hold the frequency steady.

Many of my toys are shown on my website at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer

StephenK
04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Just thinking about the tools I have makes me wonder. Where did they all come from. Some are big and some are small. A Millrite mill and a Sherline mill, Grizzly lathe, Southbend lathe, and two Sherline lathes, surface grinder, Shape-Rite shaper, two drill presses and on and on.

Been spending time after my surgery recuperation reorginizing the shop. I used the Sherline mill and cnc lathe for medical devices that I made.

I find that when someone wants to give me a tool I find room for it.

EDMTech
04-09-2006, 02:02 AM
You want my address and vacation schedule too?

For an unknown, that's not the kind of question to be asked here. Where are you located and what are your interests?

I guess I'm a little green to this forum too but what is wrong with the question? Should be proud of your shop and equipment, you wouldn't see a car forum where everyone was hush hush about their cars, not unless it was a street racing or gamblers forum anyway.

As for me; I have a small Atlas lathe, a DoAll DH-612 grinder, Crapsman drill press, a little HF bandsaw, 6" bench grinder, carbide grinder, and other little crap laying around :)

IOWOLF
04-09-2006, 08:09 AM
I guess I'm a little green to this forum too but what is wrong with the question? Should be proud of your shop and equipment, you wouldn't see a car forum where everyone was hush hush about their cars, not unless it was a street racing or gamblers forum anyway.

As for me; I have a small Atlas lathe, a DoAll DH-612 grinder, Crapsman drill press, a little HF bandsaw, 6" bench grinder, carbide grinder, and other little crap laying around :)

In a word, Thieves.:mad:

whiskers
04-09-2006, 08:33 AM
I've just read some of the responses to a simple question from WOOFER98 and I'm at a loss as to why some of the responses to his, IMO, legitimate question were either facile or just down right rude. Why? I would have thought that the idea of this forum was to ENCOURAGE new starters, not stomp on them when they ask a question. What's the secret about what you have in your shop? Is it stolen or bought with money you haven't told the IRS about?
Everybody, you guys and me included, all had to start somewhere. Give the guy a break.

Whiskers

spkrman15
04-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Hey Woofer98,

I have a 3-1 and a 13x36 lathe. A horizontal bandsaw, Arc and Mig welder and a set of torches. Also more metal lying around my shop then there should be!

It started out with my buddies and i being into cars and it has progressed from there. I don't do much with cars anymore, at least not for myself, but it is one of the things people know me for. I don't understand that, because i work on a car maybe 2 to 3 times a year.

I am curious. How did you govern the motor? Is it just a throttle or is it a governor that adjusts according to the load?

Rob :)

P.S. Some pictures if you have them would be nice!!

chief
04-09-2006, 09:14 AM
12X36 Grizzly lathe, Grizzly gearhead mill,Themac toolpost grinder, complete versi-mil unit, palmgren rotary table,vertex dividing head 21x12 surface plate,
small ultra-sonic cleaner, bench grinder. Measuring equipment, 0-9'' and 0-1000mm. Quick change tool holders, radius cutter. I will forgo the thousands of handtools.

IOWOLF
04-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I've just read some of the responses to a simple question from WOOFER98 and I'm at a loss as to why some of the responses to his, IMO, legitimate question were either facile or just down right rude. Why? I would have thought that the idea of this forum was to ENCOURAGE new starters, not stomp on them when they ask a question. What's the secret about what you have in your shop? Is it stolen or bought with money you haven't told the IRS about?
Everybody, you guys and me included, all had to start somewhere. Give the guy a break.

Whiskers

Honestly it's none of your business how I bought or acquired what I have.
As for encouragement, If a guy comes to your door and asks what's in your garage, what would you do? Not the same you say? This Guy has no profile or says where he is from,and some of you guys welcome him into your shop with open arms(figuratively ).

:( Sorry not me, not on a first date.

JCHannum
04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Where does it say you have to respond to a question. If you do not wish to reveal what is in your shop or home, don't open the "door". No need to blow away someone for their interest in getting started.

If you are paranoid about your possessions, you have already revealed you probably have some valuable tooling just by participating.

IOWOLF, you had pics of your very nice 50 cal rifle a couple of weeks ago. I would think showing possession of something like that would leave you a lot more open to intrusion by the average low life than the knowledge you have a well equipped machine shop.

John Stevenson
04-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Somewhere in my shop is a floor..............
I don't mind sharing a picture of it if I can ever bloody find it.

Why do you never see clean floors listed on Ebay
Just think 9.99 buy it now, use paypal and get the postie to deliver it.

You you think I've found a niche market ?? :rolleyes:

Evan
04-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I actually found some pieces of floor in my shop yesterday. Now that it's spring I can put the stepping stones back in the garden.

john hobdeclipe
04-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Piles of sawdust, and the tools to make it. Piles of metal chips, and the tools to make them. And a little voice over in the corner that keeps whispering in my ear that I need more tools to make more and better chips & dust.

nheng
04-09-2006, 11:16 AM
JCHannum, Whatever you post for your shop contents here has now become public knowledge from your zip code to a point opposite you on the globe and, as a matter of fact, to those on the ISS (international space station).

While some responses may come across as cool, they did have :) faces which makes it ok ;) I had a three paragraph original reply which was a little warmer, asked what sort of stuff he wants to do and then listed many common shop tools, in an approximate order we collect them, their sizing and what they're good for.

The forum ate that response so my subsequent one was a little more brief.

Just stopped at the local pawn shop yesterday and sometimes you've got to wonder where half of the stuff came from. This visit having occured after the original post and replies here made be wonder even more ... again, as this is not the first time that an "out of the blue:" request to list your shop contents has been met with many very eager to show their toys.

I think we're all here because we like to talk machinery and like to help when we can. Just don't forget where we are.

Oh, yeah ... your location has a LOT do to with how public you may want to get with your inventory.
Den

Kansas_Farmer
04-09-2006, 12:15 PM
My shop:

Tooling:
2x 8" bench grinders
12" Drill press
1 light duty homebuilt workbench
1 heavy duty homebuilt welding table
1 homebuilt lathe table
1 9"x30" Lathemaster
10hp/4500w Lincoln "Weld-N-Power"
Cambell Hausfeld 25 gal compressor
bench vice
a hardware store worth of fasteners
mechanics tools
AC/DC Lincoln arc welder
Smithy equiped O/A torch
various automotive specailty tooling
1 1987 R10 pickup mostly together
1 1996 F350 Powerstroke, needs to come apart
small scrap iorn pile
small wood pile
For the paranoid:
Shop protected by John M Garand 3 days outta 7, you pick which 3. ;)
Current Projects:
1. Finish lathe bench
2. Get the Lathe runnin
3. Fix Ford. (axle seals leakin, new brakes, fuel tank leak, clutch issues)
4. Restore Chevy (Frame Off)
5. Fix lawnmower (won't run)
6. What ever might come through the door. (customers)

John Stevenson
04-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Bugger the customers that are a pain in the ass, always wanting this that or the other immediately aand not letting me play with my toys.

I even asked one old guy the other day if he'd ever thought of voluntary euthanasia.

I won't print his reply but it's impossible to upset them enough to stay away .... I know I've tried.

EDMTech
04-09-2006, 12:30 PM
In a word, Thieves.:mad:

They have to figure out where I live first :p

I take it you had a bad experience at one time though?

jkilroy
04-09-2006, 12:44 PM
two lathes, three mills, bandsaw, misc smaller power tools, compressor, etc. A full alarm system and several loaded firearms.

malbenbut
04-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Went to my friends we could not get through the door of his workshop owing to junk falling against the door we had to climb through the window to get into his shop, he has more junk than the Chinese navy. when he buys anything he always puts it behind the workshop door intending to move it later but he never does
MBB

Nutter
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't mind sharing a picture of it if I can ever bloody find it.

Why do you never see clean floors listed on Ebay
Just think 9.99 buy it now, use paypal and get the postie to deliver it.

You you think I've found a niche market ?? :rolleyes:

A guy in my Jeep club is starting a business selling just that - a clean floor and an organized garage. Unfortunatley it costs a bit more than $9.99 :) He charges by the hour.

The garage where I work on my Jeeps is notoriously filthy, so I am the first customer - in exchange for some welding on the cleaner's Jeep and permission to use my garage for before and after photos.

We're about half done now and so far it seems well worth it.

Peter N
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Thats only a rumour:)
I don't know what I was standing on when I was there but when I left I had legs like a Haggis - one shorter then the other <G>

Mind you, I've heard Tim Leech's is equally as bad!

Peter

John Stevenson
04-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Tim's has good days and bad days, it depends if the tide is in on the canal at the side :D

JCHannum
04-09-2006, 03:07 PM
JCHannum, Whatever you post for your shop contents here has now become public knowledge from your zip code to a point opposite you on the globe and, as a matter of fact, to those on the ISS (international space station).

Oh, yeah ... your location has a LOT do to with how public you may want to get with your inventory.
Den

Den, I am well aware of just how public information posted here is. My response was toward IOWOLF as much as any. He objected to someone asking about the shops of members. The answer is much the same as comments regarding OT posts, an answer is not required if you do not care to respond.

I did point out that while he objected to mentioning what tools were in his shop, he was more than willing to show a gun he had built. Displaying that might occasion a visit from the local BATF if things are slow in their area. They have been known to pull a truck up to a shop and happily load the entire contents as evidence and drive away quicker than you can say Ruby Ridge.

Mortimerex
04-09-2006, 04:27 PM
If you are setting up your new machine/hobby by finally purchasing a mill or lathe like me then the most important tools are often overlooked: all the hundreds of hand tools you have accumulated up to this point do not suddenly become irrelevant, indeed they become even more useful. For me the standard hammers, saws, wrenches, vicegrips, clamps, and hand power tools like drills, sanders, and dremel are still very much used.

For someone starting out a dremel type tool should be a first if you dont already own several. The reason, unless you have a "real" machine shop with several industrial air compressors, the dremel hand tool does alot of the finishing that those little air grinders do in production settings and with attachments actually is much better for fine crafting detail work.

For a mill, I would say the most useful item for me is v-blocks and an endmill holder. I got an import R8 holder with 3/8 shaft for about $15 then bought half a dozen endmills all with 3/8 shaft. No messing around changing collets.

I havent got a lathe yet so couldnt give much advice that way tho some other threads guys mentioned modifying a spare mt to be a centerdrill holder and buying several extra chucks for the things you do most.

I would like to restate how important simple things are for someone just starting out. You probably have lots of stuff thats useful without realizing it. Heres another example. Wood and woodworking tools, you can make patterns out of wood or even cardboard when fabricating steel, its alot easier to trim those patterns then copy them to steel than grind, check, grind, etc. Just because you got a new mill and/or lathe doesnt make all your existing tools worthless. Rather the opposite, they find new uses.

IOWOLF
04-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Where does it say you have to respond to a question. If you do not wish to reveal what is in your shop or home, don't open the "door". No need to blow away someone for their interest in getting started.

If you are paranoid about your possessions, you have already revealed you probably have some valuable tooling just by participating.

IOWOLF, you had pics of your very nice 50 cal rifle a couple of weeks ago. I would think showing possession of something like that would leave you a lot more open to intrusion by the average low life than the knowledge you have a well equipped machine shop.

I would have to say it was a Deterrent rather than an enticement,Because I will use it,or another means of protecting Mine.

Oh and we have people here who think posting your address and pictures of your house is Cute. And JCH, why single me out? There were others with offhanded answers.

Timleech
04-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Tim's has good days and bad days, it depends if the tide is in on the canal at the side :D

It's funny at the moment, I can see quite a lot of floor but can't find the machines!
In the middle of a complete shunt-around, moving everything except the big TOS and the surface grinder. I wasn't expecting to need to do any machining for a week or two, then found I needed to thin a couple of bolt heads. The TOS was buried, it should have been a two minute job on the CVA. Put the job in the chuck, started the converter, pulled the lever and......nothing. Completely dead. No reaction at all. The light was on but there was no-one at home. I think it must have been upset by the new arrival (newer younger model!). Had to go mountaineering and do the job on the TOS after all.

There's a nice cast iron surface/marking out table heading for the door, about 4' x 3', almost unused, on steel frame, wood cover etc etc, ......
I would use it but I'm so tight for space it keeps getting covered with stuff, so never used after all :rolleyes:

Tim

IOWOLF
04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Any Horizontal surface is a shelf.
You ought to see my surface grinder or Cinncinati #1

Norman Atkinson
04-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Iowolf,

As for your modesty about your workshop, I suspect that you have a write up in Austrian. You certainly have a library of photos in English.

Sadly, little is sacred or secret and nothing is secret forever.

All one can do is make things difficult- if one can be arsed.

Norm

nheng
04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Norm said: "All one can do is make things difficult- if one can be arsed"

I thought we were all arsed ... we got one each at birth. Some expand to two as they mature :D
Den

CCWKen
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
And JCH, why single me out? There were others with offhanded answers.

I agree, but not offhanded. I for one, am nervous about someone new asking about what's in my shop. Especially when that someone doesn't show his own location or interests. For those that hide behind a moniker, it may not be a problem. Some of us list a name, site, city and much more. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the tools are.

Four of my neighbors have been hit in the last month--All during daylight hours. In a rual area like this, the properties are spread out so it's hard to "keep a watch". I've been lucky. I live and work on the same property.

Mortimerex
04-09-2006, 11:45 PM
I dont think the thread author wanted an itemized list of your shop so he could then decide whether or not to plunder it. Sheesh, just dont say anything if you're that paranoid instead of spamming the thread. It seemed to me the author was more interested in a general way about what items/tools were most useful or at least used most often- to know what to spend money on. After all, why buy something you aren't going to use?

Mortimerex
04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I think my shop has to take the prize for modesty. It used to be a stable tackroom (at least it has a good concrete floor) but I'm proud of it even if anything left there soon smells like horsesht.

JCHannum
04-09-2006, 11:59 PM
IOWOLF, I did not mean to single you out, just to point out that you, and just about all all of us have posted pictures and information on here as to what is in our shops. CCWKen just had several posts with pics of his new, spiffed up Atlas lathe, and often posts pics of his projects and customer's cars.

To do this and then turn around and blow off someone asking a valid question doesn't make sense.

Posting on a forum makes you very visible. If you are concerned about what someone may find out about what you have, you have already opened your shop door to the world. This new forum gives a pretty good idea of just how many people have access to your information. Take a look at the post count, there are many lookers who do not join. A person with criminal intent is less likely to advertise his presence than one with a genuine interest in equipping his shop.

You have already posted the information requested and lots more, why are you worried now?

CCWKen
04-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Dang Jim, you're absolutely right. I hadn't really thought about that. Or at least in that manner. I won't argue on "that". But heck, who'd want to steal a Craftsman lathe... or the Kenbota? :D

My second post in this thread was an attempt to lighten up and I did post generalities but evidently it went unnoticed by Mortimerex. I guess in his hurry to post his own spam to the thread, he didn't bother to read the other posts. :(

I'll be more careful in the future. ;)

IOWOLF
04-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Same here guys, sorry. ;)

Norman Atkinson
04-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Problems of security are just as pertinent here in the UK.

One of my mates will not even go on the internet. In a desperate need, he uses his daughter's machine. He will not disclose what is in his workshop except to a small number of close friends. If he is disposing of gear as really old age bites, he drops the unwanted items into the local city refuse dump.

He argues that the small gain from a sale might be a huge loss to the unscrupulous people who are around.

As has been said, I apolgise to IOWOLF but I would mention that one of the correspondents in this posting never puts his E-Mail Address or anything but his Nom de plume on his stuff. It took minutes to have his home address, his phone number, his Christian name, his surname, his car and that he has or had a chip in his long unused milling machine table.

I never moved from the computer to do yours, Iowolf- or his. It's as easy as that.

Norm

BWS
04-10-2006, 07:47 AM
In welding:Tig,Mig,OA,stick.Many,many grinders.Kinda dingy,dirty but it pays good.

Woodworld:Complete 2-3 man proffesional cabinet shop with all the bells-N-whistles.Very clean and cheery area.Lots of light(natural and art.),decent floor space for assembly.Used mainly for personal furniture stuff now,ocassional magazine quality kitchen for sh*ts-N-giggles.

Machine shop:Z series Grizz 13x40 extremely well tooled.Old BP 9x42 with BP RT and lots of old tooling.It also sports air/hyd vise"s".Yup,theres a pair of German bad to the bone whopper vises that get used daily.Norton surf. grind.,DP,hor bandsaw and in general,hords of precision measuring/layout stuff.Most of which came from relatives.Machine shop stays pretty clean and cheery.Each tool has its attendent pile of chips,overall clean,very well organized.

Automotive:uhh....extensive.We build,ride,wreck go-fast racebikes and hotrods.If we ain't got the tools they aren't needed.Snap-off,Craftsman being dominant.This place ain't for the faint of heart.It stays basically a mess.Wreck parts lying all around.Never enough lite.Never enough room to work.Always somebodies car or bike in the way.One of these days we need to make a more formal "junk" area.

IOWOLF
04-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Problems of security are just as pertinent here in the UK.

One of my mates will not even go on the internet. In a desperate need, he uses his daughter's machine. He will not disclose what is in his workshop except to a small number of close friends. If he is disposing of gear as really old age bites, he drops the unwanted items into the local city refuse dump.

He argues that the small gain from a sale might be a huge loss to the unscrupulous people who are around.

As has been said, I apolgise to IOWOLF but I would mention that one of the correspondents in this posting never puts his E-Mail Address or anything but his Nom de plume on his stuff. It took minutes to have his home address, his phone number, his Christian name, his surname, his car and that he has or had a chip in his long unused milling machine table.

I never moved from the computer to do yours, Iowolf- or his. It's as easy as that.

Norm

;) ;) ;) ;)

thistle
04-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I would like to see some one try and haul away my 10000 pounds of iron and
steel,ha ha
it would all have to get it up hill,first and then lets hope you can swim
quite wellwith a mill a shaper or a lathe.

I know for shure its not going on an air plane, and if they shipped it the shipping would be more than its all worth.

I did think of putting a big marine orange smoke pot in something a while back... imagine the look on the proud theives face when his loot started producing 2000000 cubic feet of orange smoke....

Rex
04-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Mostly lathes
9x17 Logan
10x24 Enco
618 Atlas
10" Atlas
7x12 minlathe

Minimill
drill press (Ridgid)
20-ton shop press

And the various auto repair equipment - tire changer, balancer, engine hoist, parts cleaner, jacks etc.

Cecil Walker
04-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Bridgeport Mill w/ DRO, SB Hvy 10 lathe, Harig surface grinder, Ammco shaper, MM210 Mig, IR 60 gal 5 HP comp., Cabinet bead blaster, sand blaster, Jet Vert Bandsaw, Roll-in horiz saw, Delta wood bandsaw, planer, plus all the supporting tooling.

Electronic security: doors, windows, glassbreak, smoke, & movement detectors

Manual security: (1) 10 Ga (1) 12 Ga (1) 22-250 (1) 25-06 (1)380 (1) 45ACP (5) 22's , all loaded!

Canine & Feline foot patrols

(3) retired military neighbors - 2 Army, 1 Air Force

John Stevenson
04-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Our guard dog is getting on a bit now and has lost all his teeth but he can still give you a nasty suck. :p

speedy
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
As a last resort, if all else fails, you can always call the local constabulary :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ken

TECHSHOP
04-10-2006, 07:17 PM
But they always show up AFTER the fact, now don't they?

Locally they never have been much good in finding stolen property, let alone the thief. Just go to the local pawn shop and "buy" it back, save the insurance headache.

speedy
04-10-2006, 07:46 PM
But they always show up AFTER the fact, now don't they?
Locally they never have been much good in finding stolen property, let alone the thief. Just go to the local pawn shop and "buy" it back, save the insurance headache.

The cops over here are definately not interested in solving crime:( ... the money is in infringement notices brother; there is no profit in solving crime, just costs.
I came to this conclusion some years ago and nothing has changed to alter my view of how policing operates, just more evidence to reinforce my observation.
Our police are expected to fund their own existance...Politicians are mostly Bastards.
With regard to crime in the community, our police keep telling us that the answer lies with community. I interpret that to mean protect yourself as no one else will.

Ken

Mad Scientist
04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
While keeping our toys safe from theft is important, it does no good to become overly paranoid. Considering the fun I had getting my mill down the basement stairs I am not to worried about someone breaking in and casually walking off with it. As far as small tools go, a robber needs to know what their value is, as I recall in a back issue of HSM that someone told of a break-in, and what did the thief find but a box of precision ground parallel bars, and what did the thief do? Why he dumps out the bars and steals the “pretty box”. :rolleyes:

Friend wife feels safe if she can lock and bolt the doors, but if I mention how easy it would be for someone to just break a window and climb in, she doe’s not want to hear about that. But this is when my two spotted dogs take over and proceed to try and convince a burglar that this is really not a good idea. And if our burglar is still determined to get in, well lets just say I’m a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, and cases like this just provide a secondary reason for its existence. :)

[If ignorance is bliss. Why aren’t more people happy?]

woofer98
04-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I dont think the thread author wanted an itemized list of your shop so he could then decide whether or not to plunder it. Sheesh, just dont say anything if you're that paranoid instead of spamming the thread. It seemed to me the author was more interested in a general way about what items/tools were most useful or at least used most often- to know what to spend money on. After all, why buy something you aren't going to use?

Yes Mortimerex that is what i ment, maybe i should have worded it in the terms of "I want to get into machining as a hobby what are some of the useful tools or common tools"

I do have a bunch of hand tools, and some power tools and welders etc but nothing like a metal lathe or a mill, but I have always built alot different creations with the basic tools i have, I want to get more in depth now

john hobdeclipe
04-11-2006, 11:56 PM
"Our guard dog is getting on a bit now and has lost all his teeth but he can still give you a nasty suck."

John,
I'm having a frightful time, just thinking about being gummed to death by a worn out dog while carrying a milling machine on my back. I think I'll stay over here on my side of the pond, and leave your stuff alone.

Millman
04-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Have to agree with IOWOLF and others about protecting your assets with any means necessary. Had to learn the hard way about not using my email add.. Tried to delete my profile, but don't know if it worked or not.Started out by being too damned honest, I guess. And NO; that box was never checked.

JCHannum
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Have to agree with IOWOLF and others about protecting your assets with any means necessary. Had to learn the hard way about not using my email add.. Tried to delete my profile, but don't know if it worked or not.Started out by being too damned honest, I guess. And NO; that box was never checked.
The concerns raised in the thread had to do with giving information on the equipment in your shop. If you feel this is a problem, why did you post a list of many of your shop tools and recent purchases along with the amount paid for them six days ago?
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=18797

Millman
04-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Actually, JC, I didn't think anyone would read it. I'm not worried about thieves, depends on how many FPS they can run. Depends how NICE I am that particular day . Guns are good!

IOWOLF
04-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Yup,Thats true. But as a fact I am not worried about mills and lathes coming up missing ,I'm worried about when the guys try to get it on there truck it falls on them and they sue ME for damages and injuries,If they survive, ;) ;)

Ries
04-12-2006, 01:31 PM
My shop is so full of tools we can barely walk around.
Welding, Fabrication, Sheet metal, and machining.

Most important, though, is a REALLY loud stereo, with 4 big garage sale speakers, a 200w amp, and a 5 disc CD player.
If you cant hear the music over the sound of two grinders and a self contained air power hammer, TURN IT UP!

Of course, we usually wear earplugs- I buy em by the box of 500 pairs, we have a dispenser of em by the time clock- but that just means you have to have an even bigger stereo.

We just rebuilt two of the speakers, with brand new foam surround woofers- the old ones had vibrated themselves to death.

Evan
04-12-2006, 01:35 PM
"If they survive..."

Immediately call 911, transpose a couple of numbers in your address and then go pile on a couple of more machines. Simple.

When they do finally find the right address they will see you frantically lifting the machines off as best you can (to avoid contamination) in a valiant effort to save them. Alas, too late.

Millman
04-12-2006, 01:44 PM
200 watt amp, piling on more machines......You guys are making my sides hurt! That made my day. Thanks