PDA

View Full Version : Enco and MSC, same company?

hornluv
04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I notice that Enco and MSC seem to have their warehouses in the same places and have the same format to their flyers and websites. Speaking of their websites, I just tried to get on them and they were both down for system maintenance or something and the messages were the exact same. I guess they're the same company, but I have to wonder why they feel the need to do that. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to run it all as one entity? They also tend to compete against themselves a lot. What's the deal?

Stuart

CCWKen
04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Yep, same company. MSC tends to be on the premium side of prices where Enco deals at a lower price-point. I think MSC bought Enco several years ago. It wouldn't be a surprise if their operations are combined in the future. It's very expensive to duplicate functions.

jimmstruk
04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Just a bit of information, MSC charges sales tax in Kansas but Enco does not. It seems MSC maintains some sort of office in Kansas. Buying from Enco using the free shipping, out of a sale flyer,no tax can be a pretty good deal. JIM

Paul Cataldo
04-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it's too bad Enco doesn't carry EVERYTHING that MSC carries, with the usual discounts, cause I'd be ordering from Enco every day...

IOWOLF
04-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Ya learn something new every day. ;)

jero100
04-10-2006, 07:09 AM
MSC does own ENCO...I found this out about a month ago. If you have a local MSC rep, he should meet or beat any ENCO price.They are also about to buy J&L.

Orrin
04-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Years ago I hated to order from Enco because one thing or another would be out of stock and would go on back order. When MSC bought Enco, the place shaped up in a hurry. Now, my orders are filled completely and promptly every time.

When MSC took over they closed a bunch of Enco satellite outlets, which I hated to see happen, but it is probably just as well. I would get so frustrated with them because they usually were out of stock on half the stuff I needed.

Regards,

Orrin

moldmonkey
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I saw somewhere that they are in the process of buying J&L from Kennametal as well. I wonder if they will keep that name alive as well since they serve the same market while Enco is towards the cheaper end or if they are just buying out the competion.

Edit: Speed reading again :( didn't see Jero100 already mentioned the merger.

GRH
04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I have found a lot of their stuff is exactly the same as they cross reference part nos. If you order a MSC import item you pay more and get the same as a ENCO import or Enco brand item. A lady on the order desk told me this.

Graeme

bobw53
04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I heard that MSC had bought J&L couple of weeks ago from our sales rep. According to him, J&L shouldn't see any differences for at least 6 months. Exactly what they are going to do he didn't know.

I hope they keep J&L the way it is, next day shipping for ground rate, free if you do enough volume. Good discounts, lots of sales.

Dee
04-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Interesting guy's , a year or so ago I was getting enco flyers two or three a month, so I needed a few items and I told the gal that took the order please just send me one a month? you know trying to save a tree or whatever?
Well you guessed it I have not gotten a flyer since then, and on every order for a while I asked then pleaded for a flyer. Still no go, but I do get the Msc
Flyer? Do you suppose there is a connection? I have given up asking?
Dee

sch
04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
MSC or Manhattan Supply Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sid Tool Company which is the parent company. Interesting bio on their website which has a list of companies acquired in the last 15-20yrs. J&L is the latest in a series.
Company is apparently still a 'family owned and operated' concern. J&L and Grainger are listed as 'major competitors' but McMaster is not.
Steve

uute
04-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Is it just me, or does J&L carry a wider selection of cutters?

Seems like they concetrate a bit more on cutters and a bit less on other things, but maybe its just all the pretty pictures. :D

moldmonkey
04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
uute

That's because J&L was owned by Kennametal which has their own cutting tool line and has been going on a buying spree of their own. Greenfield taps, L&I reamers (?) off the top of my head.

I don't know if this merger is a good thing, a little competition never hurts. I've always used mainly MSC for the home shop: Enco p-d me off, J&L-only for some things that I couldn't get from MSC, & I always thought McMaster was high. I got drafted into doing the ordering at work and have found McMaster beats MSC on price for alot of stuff. Is that me being uninformed or is MSC raising their prices?