PDA

View Full Version : woman in the shop

darryl
04-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Has this topic come up before? :)
Today my friend came over and made what look like miniature pistons. They have a blind hole which is threaded, and a stud is crazy glued in. These will be for holding something to the front of a control panel which is mounted to the wall in this new office building we're working in. The control knobs will be similar, except larger, and they'll look like pistons as well. There's a cover over a part of the panel which looks sort of 'trucking industry-ish'- (this is a trucking company we're doing this work for) , she has finished this up nicely, including polishing it right into the corners of a recess.
There I am, sort of doing my own thing, and she says "darryl where does this go?" - she cleaned up around the lathe and put all the bits and pieces away.
Here I am cleaning up sort of in embarassment for the messy shop I work(live) in , and she's tripping over all the junk just as I am, oblivious to it seemingly, and having a great time doing it. And cleaning up my mess from years of 'turning good material into scrap'.

Here is a natural if I ever saw one. Today she says "how come I live so far away?" (30k or so). She'd be here all the time if she lived closer.

Looks like I may have to get my own lathe soon :) So far the milling machine is still mine.

Schutzhund
04-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Congrats, sounds like a keeper! :D

TECHSHOP
04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Don't even ask to use my tools unless you're a very good looking woman and promise to work in the nude (safety glasses are still reguired).

your mileage may very, but has worked around here for 20+ years now.

DancingBear
04-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Darryl, sounds like that could work out nicely! My wife recently learned to operate my lathe, and took to it like a duck to water. Now she actually understands what we blather about here!

Tech - LOL! Seems to me that sign works whether they borrow your tools or not! Of course, my SWMBO has even pickier rules about her fabric scissors, and I don't qualify for any of the exceptions! :D

Walt

john hobdeclipe
04-10-2006, 11:25 PM
You're off to a good start. Is she rich? Can she cook?

darryl
04-11-2006, 01:37 AM
'is she rich, can she cook'- no and yes. I've known her for many years, and we've had a lot of fun together. When I met her, I was riding my honda hawk around, and she loved that- now she has two bikes of her own. I still have the hawk, and she has a bonneville 650 and a harley. I made a few parts for the bonnie, and I think that tweaked her interest in making metal things. I doubt that she will develop an interest in say, steam engines, but if she needs a part, she'll want to make it. The harley needs some custom footpegs, so I can see that being a project.
Nude machining? I'd get whacked for suggesting that probably. As far as someone other than Judi coming in and using my tools and machines- nope. If I want my stuff to be abused, I'll do it myself, thank you.

Wayne02
04-11-2006, 02:09 AM
http://www.nsnews.com/oldnews-2/femalewe.jpg

John Stevenson
04-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Send photo of lathe..............

Allan Waterfall
04-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Send photo of lathe..............

Strange how interests shift when you get older :D

Allan

IOWOLF
04-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Don't talk about Nude machining around Evan,we may get another picture.EWWWWWWWWWWWW

;)

Evan
04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I would post it again but I did promise not to post anything that might be even remotely construed as offensive...

John Stevenson
04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes but we can turn images off now :D

If Evan want's to pose in the nude [ or 1/2 nude ] around this big TOS of mine when it's working hard he's more than welcome.
I'll get a shot of him breakdancing ;) ;)

Evan
04-11-2006, 01:26 PM
:D

I buy most of my metal at a local job shop that does a lot of new fabrication work for mills in North America. They have a cute young woman that works there as a welder/fitter. I was chatting with her the other day and asked how she got into the trade. She told me that it was a great way to meet hard working guys and so took a welding class. She discovered that she liked welding and metal work so that is what she does.

john hobdeclipe
04-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Now Darryl, this is a slippery slope you've started down. I suppose the next big question on everyone's minds is, Does McMaster Carr or Travers Tool have a gift registry?