PDA

View Full Version : OT: Floor Jack Recomendation

aterren
04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Folks,

Some years ago I bought a Craftsman floor jack that stayed at my dad's house for 20 years. He still uses it so I'm going to buy a new one. I looked at Sears and most of the stuff there looks like crap.

Any recommendations on where I should look for a new jack? I'm willing to spend ~$250 or so and don't care if the darn thing is aluminum or not or how many pumps it takes but I do care about quality.

Best Regards,

Adrien

abn
04-11-2006, 01:51 AM
After a stint of bad luck with chinese jacks, I bought a US Made Lincoln jack at Pep Boys some years ago for about $200 standard 5ton floor jack...I don't think Pep Boys carries them anymore so I did a quick web search to see if they were still US made and came up with this site:

http://www.hyjacks.com/H2.HTM

Looks like the Lincoln is now being made in the US under the Hein Werner brand...I don't know if everything on the linked site is true but it's an interesting read.

Scishopguy
04-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I have been very happy with the Allied 3.5 ton service jack I bought at Sam's club a couple of years ago. It has 2 interchangeable pads for lifting, one about 6" diameter and a 3" one on a 6" tall bar. It has a quick adjust feature to raise it to the work, so you don't wear yourself out pumping before you contact the thing to be lifted. This unit only cost about $75 and has proven to be of industrial quality.

Jim (KB4IVH)

madman
04-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Dont buy one with PLASTIC WHEELS. I saw one model with plastic type wheels when i bought mine. I was thinking Hm what junk. I ended up with a TSC model steel wheels and 120 dollars. Has been good and no problems yet. In retrespect i would now after knowing a bit more also look for one that has a very high ratio as to pump to lift to minimize the amount of stroking when its under the said vehicel.

Kansas_Farmer
04-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I dropped 100 bucks on a 8 ton with steel wheels from Napa, who ever made them back in the day. It's just a standard jack, doesn't have the quick raise feature or anything. It'll pickup my pickup and tractors fine so I'm happy.

Rex
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
you buy in the $100 and up will be a decent jack for any but daily commercial use. American Forge is one quality supplier at the upper end of your range. They are import, but well made. Lincoln is also good, if you can find someone that carries them. Most anything you buy will be import in the stated price range.

DanR
04-12-2006, 02:28 AM
The question was posed

Some years ago I bought a Craftsman floor jack that stayed at my dad's house for 20 years. He still uses it so I'm going to buy a new one. I looked at Sears and most of the stuff there looks like crap.

Any recommendations on where I should look for a new jack

I bought one of those jacks a little over 20 years ago. Looks as new as the day I bought it and it works great! I would say that you should look in your dad's garage!

aterren
04-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I have looked in my dad's garage, but he live 3.5 hours away and uses the jack regularly. After all he's done for me, how coud I take it from him?

Anyhow I was at a local auto parts store and one of the guys behind the counter said they had a Hein Werner (sp?) jack on sale for $300. Made in the USA to boot.

Bought it and it looks like it will last longer than I will.

Thanks for all the recommendations.