PDA

View Full Version : 90% on Project

Kansas_Farmer
04-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi guys, figured I'd throw up an update here on my lil project.

As you may recall, I'd drawn up a lathe bench. Well, after many "on the fly" design revisions, we're done, with the structure anyway.

I still have to mount that thing and get it all leveled up, dialed in. It's nice to see progress though..

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/kansas_farmer/bench3.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/kansas_farmer/bench1.jpg

BobWarfield
04-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Nicely done. Looks like there will be a removable chip tray?

Best,

BW

Kansas_Farmer
04-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks Bob!

Yea, those holes will be filled with, oh I dunno, 1/2 plywood, something, don't know exactly yet. Since they aren't load bearing surfaces I didn't want to sink anymore steel in it. The mouting plates are 1/2" plate. I think it'll hold it up ok.

I'm going to take the chip tray they sent with it and section it so it'll fit between the base feet. That's what I'll use for a tray I think. I'll be able to pull it out, dump it, and put it back. I hope that works out.

Gotta add some shelving and a few other things yet too.

J Tiers
04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Depending on teh size you made the openings, a convenient size of cheap baking tray might fit in them.... Hold a reasonable amount of swarf, easy to dump, cheap, easy to carry to your shop's steel recycling barrel.

CCWKen
04-11-2006, 01:51 AM
Hey, that's looking good! I haven't even started mine for the A/C yet. I did pick up a couple of junk-yard drawer segments from a desk though. Will the lathe be sitting that far back on the stand? How come? You must have a good back. :D

Kansas_Farmer
04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
JT- Those are 12.5"x18" openings. Interesting idea....very interesting...you just might be onto something there! Thanks!! Maybe.....put some filler material that brings the 18" down to like 12 or 12.5", at the front of the bench and then add those pans. Figure someting 2-3" deep maybe....have to think about that for a bit, see what i can find at the local bake shop supply stores...

CCW, Thanks!! I was thinking it would set there yes. I have kinda long arms, and wasn't really planning on haveing my face planted in the tool post. Maybe I'm wrong in that, I dunno. I've had some local machinists look at it and they seem to think it would be good there. That location gives me about 6" of 'shelf space' for things like mic's, calipers, junk...you know..all that stuff not supposed to be put on the lathe table. ;)

What do ya suppose something like that would sell for commercially?

CCWKen
04-11-2006, 02:16 AM
What do ya suppose something like that would sell for commercially?

Your stand? Don't know--I'm too afraid to look. A good transmission work table with trays and drains runs about $700.

By the way, why is my status dot red and everyone elses is green or blue?

uute
04-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Lookin Good! I like the heavy plate. Think it took me abot 6 months to fab the stand for my lathe. Drives a guy nuts, spend a wad of cash on the machine, havet to wait till you get it to design a stand (and be sure all the hole locations ect. are correct), then stumble over it in a small shop till all is ready.

The delayed satisfaction is nice though. :D

Heavy is good though, I wish mine had more weight to it.

BTW Commercial baking pans (Sheet pans) come in 18 x 15 (or 15 1/2), and 18 x 26. 1 inch deep w/ a rolled edge. Used one for a catch pan under Atlas shaper, worked great.

Now I need one 15-16w x 20-22L for the bandsaw. Any Ideas? :)

uute

Mike Burdick
04-11-2006, 03:24 AM
....By the way, why is my status dot red and everyone elses is green or blue?
Ken,

I'm not positive but I think it's red because you set yourself to "invisible" in the CP. Your dot appears red to only you and lets you know your invisible status is set. It's blue to the rest of us.

Kansas_Farmer
04-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Ok, next question. My plan currently is to bolt the lathe to those plates with the 3 holes in the feet supplied. I'm NOT currently planning on using any material between the cast and the steel. That means I won't have any provision for vibration dampening. My reasoning is, I don't want changes in the vibration dampeing material to change lathe level and such. Is this a valid concern?

CCWKen
04-11-2006, 08:02 PM
That's probably a valid concern. I wouldn't put anything between the lathe legs and stand. At least nothing compressible. Check the mounting area of lathe bed to legs. Most have machined flats that you can insert shims for fine tuning or removing twist. (Or you can shim under the lathe legs.) In a perfect world, it would be good to make sure the lathe stand is dead flat on top then mount the lathe.

I'm designing my stand to have "pan-shelves" at the top and bottom. Directly under the top and just above the floor. Both will be filled with sand. The bottom will be large enough to hold sand bags. Not only will this add weight and stability to the stand but also add a dampening effect.

I filled the frame of my planishing hammer with oil dampened sand and it deadens the "ring" substantially. I'll probably do the same with the lathe stand.

JCHannum
04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Do not put any soft or sound deadening material between the lathe and benchtop.

If possible, lag the bench to the floor, and level the bench with a good carpenter's level. Mount the lathe directly to the bench, and shim it to level with as high a precision level as you can obtain.

That is a very nicely made and solid looking bench, and will contribute greatly to accurate machining.

TECHSHOP
04-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I still have the print out of your design, I am digging around to find some cast iron plates I have stashed to make the top. Your lathes looks a little longer than mine. I will then drill, and tap, bolt the lathe down, a few shims if needed, nothing between them that could "squish".

I would tilt the chip pan slightly to the rear, to drain the "wet stuff" out, but not so much that your "dry stuff" you will drop rolls under the ways. If it extends far enough back you can the "push and scoop/drop", the chips into a container with as little "mess" as possible.

Any kind of storage that you put a the bottom, I would enclose, to keep gravity from filling it up with little pieces of metal.

Kansas_Farmer
04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I can't lag her to the floor, since I don't currently own the floor. I'm thinking about some hard rubber shoes for the bottom of the feet, round-baler belting comes to mind as a material to act as a non-skid surface. Level should be relative and it's the lathe bed we're worried about here so any changes in the bench feet wouldn't matter much (I think, could be wrong on that). I don't know exactly what the table weighs, but the lathe is 330lbs. I'd guess the entire works is around 450-500 lbs.

I could put a 3/4" plywood sheet on the bottom there and dump some sand bags on that if needed, but still want to have a shelf and a sliding verticle shelf under it too. We'll see how it works once I get to actually turn something on it before I get to drastic with the mass enhancements.

Soo...right now, I need to get back out there, get the lathe off of the bench...figure out if I want to fill those holes in the middle or put chip pans in them...get that done...get some wood cut for the shelving and get the frame welded in for it.

So much to do...so little time...