PDA

View Full Version : Life's a bitch ?

John Stevenson
04-11-2006, 05:53 PM
A couple of years ago I heard of a company near to me but not specified that sold new machines, machining centres or some such, anyway big industrial ones.
Apparently they filled these with coolant, connected them up and demo'd them to customers.
Then sold the coolant was drained off and disposed of.
I was told it was free for the taking.
I made enquiries but never found anything out, urban legend ? I have no idea.

Anyway today scrap man calls round and in the conversation mentions he'd got to find someone who wanted some coolant.
Ears pop up and the legend becomes a reality.
Turns out the company is about 8 miles away from me but in the opposite direction I was originally told.
Jumped in the Donald and shot up there.
Turns out it's not soluble but neat cutting oil, premium grade. There was twelve 5 gallon drums and three 45 gallon drums.
Because the 45's were blocked in by new machines awaiting shipping I will have to go back for them later so I was only ably to bring the twelve 5 gallon drums.

Life's a bitch ? I should say so one the the drums was only 1/2 full.......................

Tinkerer
04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
So John how come you just did not transfer some of the content of the barrels to your half filled pails. The real bitch would of been finding out the scrapper got the mills for a few coins... and was looking the off load the nasty oil.:eek:

:p

John Stevenson
04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't know why the scrappie calls in there.
They are the UK arm of a big Japanese corporation, all the mills and lathes are brand new, They unpack them, check them and every so often demo a machine to a customer and the customer buys that particular machine.
When they are drained out the coolant has been in for 4 hours tops.
No nasties, it looks brand new. I asked why didn't they save it for the next machine or ship it out with the sold machine.
I was told "It's used "

Don't argue with the man.

speedy
04-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Oh, if my life could only be as miserable as yours John:D :D

Ken

matador
04-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Quote:
"I don't know why the scrappie calls in there"
Maybe he's hoping they'lldrop one off the forklift,and he'll get some nice new chinese scrap:D.

tattoomike68
04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
when I worked for a screw machine shop I threw away tons of drill bits, a drill would be in a machine 8-12 hours and was changed out for new. I would have saved them but there is a point where you dont want a ton or two of used drill bits laying around, I tossed them in the scrap.

I now wish I would have saved a few hundred for myself.

motorworks
04-11-2006, 08:45 PM
As my cousin Gary would say..."10 F*+Ks on you"

I pay $150.00 for a 20 liter paid of X-cool 2000 here.
Life in the UK!
take care
eddie
ps. Pack up some of that luck and send it this way.
going to need it with crab at $1.05/lb

charlie coghill
04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
John some people would cry if they were hung with a new rope. Life is a bitch than you die. That is more oil than I would use in 10 life times. Good find.

TECHSHOP
04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
You poor miserable son of a bi...

I guess you really are one of the privilege class...

Ol' Normam A. can't buy no hog fat, and you get gallons of free neat oil!

DICKEYBIRD
04-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Life is a bitch than you die.The way I heard it was "Life's a bitch and then you marry one."

tattoomike68
04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
The way I heard it was "Life's a bitch and then you marry one."

or two, or three,,,,, :)

vinito
04-11-2006, 10:57 PM
John. Now you just need to mod the scooter to burn that stuff and save on petrol.

wierdscience
04-11-2006, 11:14 PM
John,hasn't Alistair taught you anything? He would have taken his boots off and filled them before leaving:D

And tires,your vehicle should have had at least three good tires on it,could have got that other half drum in those easy:D

dicks42000
04-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Don't forget the bag for your pipes...should hold 2 or 3 gallons....
(damn those colonials...)

John Stevenson
04-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Matador,
Interesting remark about the fork truck.
They had this humengious thing there, twin front wheels bigger than me and brand spanky new. The whole place was spotlessly clean.
I remarked on the size of the truck and asked if they had bought a new one because of the size of the machines.
I was told no the old one was that size but it was 3 years old.
Three years? this machine could do no more that unload say 40 -50 machines a year and reload them when sold.
There was nothing else for it to do.

Looks more to me that they have to spend the money or pay tax.

Vinito,
The Donald is already on diesel, no way I'd ever run a petrol engined vehicle again.
Hard thing to say but the best small diesels around are made by Peugeot in France [ spit, spit ]

When the choice of a new vehicle comes up it's you can have anything as long as it has a Peugeot diesel in it and there is a decent choice as they sell to a lot of manufactures, Fiat, Ford Renault, Citroen and I think some Volvo's have them.

Norman Atkinson
04-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Sir John,
Mine's a 2.7 Mercedes Diesel and whilst it is on a posh mobile, it goes just as well in a white van.

50mpg is not bad for something that will do 146mph. Better than my Skoda 1.2 petrol.

Sire, the peasants are revolting! And Sire, more to the bale of hay that Lady Godiva's nag?

Ugh

Norman

wbleeker
04-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Are they the common rail diesels John? We have a small Jeep with a 2.5L mercedes designed common rail in it and it is awesome, I also have a Toyota with a 3L common rail and it is good but still doesn't get near the Jeep.
Will

BWS
04-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Yup,its a bitch.........a week or so ago got a Pacific 366 shotshell loader w/12&20 plates,@5,000 AA hulls ,12# 700x,12#IMR PB,wheelbarrow full of wads.The old fellow only drove it to church on Sundays.Hes gotten up in years and was pleased to let me have it all.He's retired,obviously,but in his prime was one of the nations leading Bluing experts.His lsit of customers is the whos who in the industry.I'll probably end up with all his personal pollishing stuff.There's a half dz 5g buckets filled with wheels.I like hearing the dirt on some manufacturers and all the neat old stories.Then throw in exactly how to properly polish a sideplate on a classic dble.Incredible!

Allan Dimmock
04-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Looked at fitting new injectors to my 130K+ mile car. Refurbished injectors for my diesel are £25 each (+tax of course) For a late model common rail type, they are £250++ each. Four of these would cost more than my car is worth. We are living through a time when otherwise perfectly good vehicles are dumped simply because these costs take them "beyond economic repair" much too early in their life.

Anyone know how to refurbish diesel injectors ?

I love the way these threads meander !

IOWOLF
04-12-2006, 01:04 PM
when I worked for a screw machine shop I threw away tons of drill bits, a drill would be in a machine 8-12 hours and was changed out for new. I would have saved them but there is a point where you dont want a ton or two of used drill bits laying around, I tossed them in the scrap.

I now wish I would have saved a few hundred for myself.

Its a cliché' but, Been there done that and have the bits to prove it,and the barrels full of Bitter ends of all types of metal.

John Stevenson
04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
wbleeker (http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/member.php?u=630)

No just standard injectors, as Allen has pointed out the common rail type are very expensive and I'm not convinced that it's a step forward.
Personally I don't touch injectors unless they do go wrong.
On UK mileage 200K will usually see a vehicle out and most engines will do this.

The problem is manufacturers are building in obsolescences too soon.
A friend of mine who repairs vans had a Merc Vito in with a blown head gasket.
You have to remove the injectors to get the head off.
In fact you have to remove the injectors to even remove the rocker box.
One bolt goes thru the rocker box into the head and the other goes thru the head into the block.
The head bolts are under the injectors as they are angled.
The injector is about 5/8" diameter and 6" long and it a tight push fit into the head. All there is on top is a screwed ring about 5/8" diameter by 32 threads per inch, 1/4" long.

I made him a threaded extractor to fit this but it just stripped the injector.
So in desperation he smashed the alloy rocker cover off only to find these hidden bolts underneath.

A previous phone call to the Merc agent on how to remove the injectors just ended in them saying they have never found out how to remove them.
They just fit a new engine.

Really stuck he now drilled into the injector to try to tap it and extract it out.
No go, hardened needle and spring inside. Well and truly stuffed now he decided to smash the injectors off, remove the head and fit a second hand head. A phone call round the breakers revealed no heads available at all, in fact there was a waiting list.
A phone call to Mercs and he was told heads are not sold separately, only complete engines.

And this is progress ?

He finally got the customer to spring for a second hand engine.

Merc's won't be on my Christmas van list.

Evan
04-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Glossary

UK mileage: These are kilometers. They are a bit shorter than regular miles.

Merc Vito: Mercedes minivan

Merc agent: Car dealer, Mercedes

tight push fit: Hammered in

Well and truly stuffed: screwed, not the same as hammered

breakers: auto wreckers

Earl of Sudspumpwater: Fixes washing machine motors :D

IOWOLF
04-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Glossary

tight push fit: Hammered in

You forgot "Evan", Our resident dictionary,and thesaurus. ;)

John Stevenson
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Glossary

Nope UK miles although we are metric we don't do kilometers.
Goverment decision.
Change whatever they can if the punter pays.
Road signs they have to pay for so still miles.

Tight push fit : Hammered in
Nope, tight push fit. Hammered in is Canadian press fit

Correct

Correct

Plus fork truck motors, sewing machine motors DC drive motors, servo motors in fact any motor you can earn money on.
Here's a Dremel motor ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/Bridgycrane.jpg

No this message is not too short, I've answered within quotes:cool:

Charles Ping
04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Turns out it's not soluble but neat cutting oil, premium grade. There was twelve 5 gallon drums and three 45 gallon drums.
Because the 45's were blocked in by new machines awaiting shipping I will have to go back for them later so I was only ably to bring the twelve 5 gallon drums.

Life's a bitch ? I should say so one the the drums was only 1/2 full.......................

When storage of all that fluid becomes a problem you know how to dispose of 5 gallons or so.......

Charles

John Stevenson
04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
When storage of all that fluid becomes a problem you know how to dispose of 5 gallons or so.......

Charles

Funny you should say that.
One has your name on it for when you call again.

Charles Ping
04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Funny you should say that.
One has your name on it for when you call again.

Ta very much
It'll be in a couple of weeks time

Charles