PDA

View Full Version : Oh Tee computer crash sound

darryl
04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Well it's odd. I went to change my background picture just a few minutes ago, and the computer froze. At that same moment, I heard the sound of breaking glass come out of my speakers. I have no control, so I hit reset and restart the computer. Now in the place of the old background pic is the microsoft green screen, which is no background picture. I make another picture the background, it works fine. So I try again to make the first picture the background. This time it just went black, and I'm locked out. Reset again, try again, same picture. Poof! I'm out of control again, black screen. Reset, computer fires up, and this time there's half the picture as the background. The upper half of the screen is just a jumble of colors, no particular pattern. Only the first time I tried this did I get the sound of breaking glass.
Checked the properties of the picture, nothing different than any other, except the name. I've heard this crash sound come through the speakers before but I can't link it to anything specific.
Anybody got an idea what's going on?

DancingBear
04-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Are you running windows? If so, go to Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, and select 'sounds'. Find the 'critcal stop' or 'critical error' or some such (depends on your version, of course, but that's another rant for another day). There's probably an option to preview the sound (may look like the play button on a tape deck). See if that's your sound. If not, try some of the other 'event' sounds (program error, exclamation, etc., etc.)

Probably someone set up the computer to play more 'interesting' sounds than windows came with.:rolleyes: I used to have mine set up with various Simpsons soundbites, Beavis and Butthead, etc. Haven't gotten around to it with the current machine. Now you've got me wondering where those files got to....

Walt

Edited to add options if critical stop isn't the one.

darryl
04-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Walt, I've gone through that and there's no breaking glass sound in there. The only thing that's specified is some of the original microsoft sounds, though I did trick one of them to play a start-up sound that I wanted. Something called ctmelody. I renamed that one to something else, then gave my new sound file that name.
At any rate, there is a fearware program on this computer called stress reducers that has that breaking glass sound. I think maybe after a few years it becomes a stress producer. :)
It has been suggested by some members here that it's time for me to get a new computer. I've been warming to the idea, though it still seems to me that I'd be paying several hundreds of dollars to trade one set of problems for another. This one still gets me here, and I can play my tunes and look through the pictures. I like the ones that you can color in yourself. :)
Whatever, it's not a big deal that I can't have that particular pic as a background, it's just wierd that this thing happens, and (at least the first time) accompanied by that sound.
I'll be trying again soon to save all the files I want to keep, then re-instal wingnuts 98 and see what happens.

david_r
04-12-2006, 02:05 AM
patient: Everytime I press right here it hurts. What should I do?
doctor: Stop pressing there.

darryl,
It's possible that the file is corrupted. Can you go back to the source and get a new copy?

Evan
04-12-2006, 03:01 AM
The possibility exists that you may have run into a particular virus called "The Jpeg of Death". Have you updated your system including ALL Microsoft applications that are on it?

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9508

darryl
04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I believe I have the latest update that was available for win 98 se, but I'm not sure. I do have a microsoft wired optical mouse that has seemed to be a problem at times- at least certain odd things seemed to start happening after I installed that. I never did really like it anyway. It's got it's ups and downs, but then doesn't everything. I've messed with a lot of freeware, so I can't really point the finger at any particular program- my registry is probably ready to explode any time now.
It does seem to me that when I went to save some pics in a new folder, that I had problems. When I downloaded a program that was meant to run on xp and wouldn't run on 98, I had odd things begin to happen. It's probably time for a computer housecleaning anyway. If I lose some stuff, well, what can you do- saylavee magee and start again.
I could be like my dad and refuse to connect to the outside world via internet. But then I couldn't come here and inflict long replies to threads on you guys:)