PDA

View Full Version : Stub Arbor / Roller Clutch Revisited

john hobdeclipe
04-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Nothing precision about this, but it worked out nicely so I’ll pass it on.

I had to move this Breaker Panel, and in the process remove the old rigid conduit (2” pipe) nipple and install a shorter one. No room for a Stillson, so I had to have something that would grip from the inside. Remembering the pix I saw here of a stub arbor, and also the roller clutches of those great old Perry coaster brake hubs from my bike shop days, I came up with this:

A 1-1/4 inch bolt has a head that is just over 2” point to point. I filed the points enough for the head to fit into the pipe nipple, then used a 7/64” drill for the pin.

Photo “A” shows the old conduit coming through the outside wall, after I cut off the elbow. “B” shows the ‘wrench’ in place. “C” shows the whole thing, with a pipe wrench ready to apply some torque. And “D” shows the nipple after removal. The pin can be seen inside the red outline. It worked perfectly.

http://www.auldooly.com/imagehost/Mvc-620f6a.jpg

Installing the new, shorter nipple was done the same way. Everything worked as planned, and a job I was dreading was finished up rather easily.

lynnl
04-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Clever! Thanks for sharing ... a trick worth remembering.

Now see there, it's not always laziness that spawns inventiveness.

speedy
04-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Thank you John. That method is in my file already:) . There are so many good ideas that are presented on this forum and it is impossible to recall them all.

ken

John Stevenson
04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
John,
Thank you. I'm amazed at how something so obvious escapes you until shown.
Goes to show you never stop learning.

charlie coghill
04-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Yes John that is a great idea. I have used that principal any number of time machining on the lathe. That idea never would have occured to me.
Yes this is a great bb.