PDA

View Full Version : mystery fluid

darryl
04-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Found a plastic bottle in the workshop that has a colored fluid in it. On the bottle it says, 'real refreshment', and "dasani". Hmm.

Ok, so it's a bottle of shock absorber fluid. I only collected it so it wouldn't end up all over everywhere when I cut those excercise machine shocks open.
Once again having need of some smooth bore tubing, I cut another one open. I tried to be careful to have the oil down at the low end as I used the cutoff disc to remove one end. As luck would have it, the moment the disc cut through the outer tube, the disc caught up some oil and whipped it up into a spiral galaxy. Being more of an equatorial rather than a polar guy, I happened to be right in the way of some of it. So I now have a line of oil running from the bottom of my shirt, up across my face, and disecting my hat. Missed my eyes thankfully, but made me wonder- what's in that kind of oil? Is it a health hazard? I know pcb oil was banned years ago, so it shouldn't be that, but I doubt this stuff is good for you either. I think some went up my nose, a little anyway.
I'm wondering because I know this won't be the last time I get this oil on my skin.

Lynn Standish
04-13-2006, 11:21 AM
hydraulic oil is what a lot of lathes use in the headstock.

sch
04-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Generically it will be similar to hydraulic oil, though some refillable shocks use ATF. It will be somewhat proprietary so exact composition will be hard to track down. Shocks for low rate change applications will be less likely to have the antifoaming agents used in car shocks where foaming destroys the ability of the shock to function as such. R&O additives will be unlikely as well so it will be more of a base stock hydraulic fluid rather than such sold for tractors and road machinery.
Steve

Evan
04-13-2006, 12:04 PM
"disecting my hat"

Umm, wouldn't that be "bisecting", unless of course the pressure were very high... :D

Shock absorber fluid will be "hydrotreated, heavy paraffinic petroleum distillate", meaning mineral oil. It will have an anti-foaming agent (no idea what that is) but it is basically mineral oil. Don't drink it but don't worry about it either. Besides, it's too late, isn't it?

RPease
04-13-2006, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Evan]"disecting my hat"

Umm, wouldn't that be "bisecting", unless of course the pressure were very high... :D

QUOTE]

He probably meant "disecting"........"real men" hate to use "BI.." as a beginning to a lot of words like...."Bi-sexual"...."Bi-polar". However, they do seem to like words like "Bi-kini" and "Bi-ceps"..........LOL

darryl
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, I am still on one piece, and haven't developed a split personality, so I guess I haven't been disected.
I found out today that I can't make two cylinders long enough from the one tube I resurected from the old shock, so I'm going to incise another one. Let's see you guys (or gals) make something out of those words :)
Maybe, just maybe I won't get marked for halving this time.

TECHSHOP
04-13-2006, 09:42 PM
darryl:

The next line will just mark you for splitting, into "upper half" and "lower half". I suggest you wear a hazmat suit, with SCBA option.

Scottike
04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I just found this in an MSDS for overexposure to mineral oil:

ACUTE: May cause eye, skin and or respiratory tract irritation. Ingestion could cause gastric upset, nausea,
stool softening and diarrhea.
CHRONIC: Prolonged use can result in dependence on laxatives, anal irritation, and/or pneumonitis.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF OVEREXPOSURE: Possible irritation of the eyes, skin, respiratory tract or
gastrointestinal tract.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY OVEREXPOSURE: Diarrhea, stool softening, dependence on
laxatives, gastrointestinal irritability.

I've had better Saturday nights and worse Sunday mornings.

Evan
04-14-2006, 12:36 AM
I presume you are going to incise the circumference?

darryl
04-14-2006, 02:15 AM
incise the circumference - it hurts already just thinking about it. I'll stick to cutting shocks apart. :)

wierdscience
04-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Cheap old drill motor,clear plastic bag and some tape.

Stick the shock in the bag.

Stick the drill along with a 1/16" bit in the bag along with it.

Tape the neck of the bag shut around the cord.

Grab the drill through the side of the bag and drill a hole to drain fluid.

Open the bag,wipe off the drill,drain the remainder of the fluid and pitch the bag in the trash.

No,fuss,no muss and no mess all over your tux:D

Evan
04-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Naturally, I have a vision of the bag getting caught in the bit and then the chuck and winding itself into a tight knot that includes your hand. Or maybe not.... :rolleyes:

wierdscience
04-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Naturally, I have a vision of the bag getting caught in the bit and then the chuck and winding itself into a tight knot that includes your hand. Or maybe not.... :rolleyes:

Oh now come on,just because it could happen doesn't mean it should happen:rolleyes::D

John Stevenson
04-14-2006, 10:58 AM
It's called risk assessment.
What it means is the twonk doing the risk assessment has no idea of what is supposed to happen, how the job is done or what the outcome is.
If you have to do risk assessment it means two things :

[1] The person doing it isn't capable, and

[2] The person who should be doing it hasn't been employed to do so.