PDA

View Full Version : Obligated

John Stevenson
04-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I just saw this ending to a post over on Don's site in a reply to a query.

"Feel free to contact me. I'm obligated after all the help I received from others."

I think that a very nice ending to a post and shows just what these groups are about.

SGW
04-13-2006, 07:50 PM
My old mentor, now dead, would relate the story of when he was just starting out in this hobby. He went somewhere or other, to a club meeting or something, and took along a couple of his models -- which, knowing him, were worth looking at.

Nobody bothered to speak to him. The club was totally insular, "we're in and you're not," and he got totally ignored.

Driving home he vowed that he would NEVER treat anybody like that. So, he always made time to help people who wanted help. Sometimes, he said, it got to be a bit of a chore. But helping out each other is really what this is all about.

topct
04-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes.

You have to give a response longer that ten charectors.

So heres my "yes" again.

Nick Carter
04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Yup, just like in "Trustee from the Toolroom", it's a pain in the ass sometimes but it's what this hobby, and being a relatively good human is all about.

Your Old Dog
04-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Yup, just like in "Trustee from the Toolroom", it's a pain in the ass sometimes but it's what this hobby, and being a relatively good human is all about.

I once made some "chicken scratch" on a piece of metal and then showed it to Master Gun Engraver Bryson Gwinnel before he was hired by Colt. He became very interested in me and then showed me the proper way to sharpen a chisel. I fed my family for two years with what eventually grew from the 15 minutes of time he gave me. Many engravers are very tight lipped about how they do their art. Some are free with their knowledge.