PDA

View Full Version : Beijing Olympic Games 2008

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Anyone going to attend China's world domination party?

This should be a blast!

http://images.beijing-2008.org/80/85/Img211988580.jpg

http://images.beijing-2008.org/79/85/Img211988579.jpg

http://images.beijing-2008.org/81/85/Img211988581.jpg

-Adrian

speedsport
04-14-2006, 11:13 PM
They can build that but can't build a decent electric motor.

speedy
04-14-2006, 11:52 PM
They can build that but can't build a decent electric motor.

You gets what yous pay for...sometimes less;)

No, I will not be attending Adrian. I will be waiting for them to arrive here in greater numbers; then I will celebrate:eek:

Ken

DancingBear
04-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Does anyone else see a resemblance to a giant commode seat?

Walt

Mcgyver
04-16-2006, 12:26 AM
that's exactly what i thought when i scrolled down. what a hoot if the media latched onto calling it the "the seat". almosts calls for an onion.com story on American Standard buying the naming rights

Evan
04-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Chances are near 100% that the resemblance never occured to the designers. They use squat toilets in China. No seats, no covers.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/loo.jpg

dvideo
04-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Evan..

there are just some questions I don't think I want to ask when you are feeling talkative. Makes me wonder "what other" kinds of pictures you have in the archives... I always *did* wonder where the Hoover Files went.....

--jerry

Millman
04-16-2006, 04:41 AM
You guys should set your Tivo to record the series "China Rises", A 4 part series, 1 hr. each. Really lets you see whats really going on with China's big boom. Some good interviews with citizens behind the scenes. How they are running out of clean water, not enough food. Now, what does a country do if they don't have enough food and water and fuel? They have to invade someone else, right? Get prepared.

speedy
04-16-2006, 08:32 AM
No need to invade. We are being fast tracked to a free trade deal with our new masters. Some high ranking Chinese premier was here recently talking to uncle Helen and he would like to see this happen within 2 years. Mind you, Uncle Helen talking to China could have something to do with the Yankees not wanting to talk turkey with us.:D
Despite the fact that NZ is just a pimple on the arse of the world, we ( govt) like to think that we exert some amount of clout in its function.

Ken

TECHSHOP
04-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Speedy:

I take it you all are planning to follow the "Australian model"?

Are your politicos telling you:

NZ as a European "settler" nation you have suffered untold years of "torpor" as a "brach office of empire". Is your leadership saying you should defect from the West, redefine yourself as an Asian society and cultivate close ties with your geographical neighbors? I guess they are working on the assumption that economics overrides culture in shaping the destiny of nations.

My favorite quote to this is:

There is one certain means by which I can be sure never to see my country's ruin--I will die in the last ditch!
William of Orange

But hey I live in the USA, YMMV.

speedy
04-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Something like that. Uncle Helen is not a monarchist by any stretch.
Back a decade or two when "Spud" Bolger was our Prime Minister ( and he could be as eloquent as your fine leader as well ) I can remember him (yelling?)telling NZ that we were part of Asia whether we Kiwis liked it or not. They were different times then and the notion was completely foreign to us(me).
Take stroll up Auckland`s main street and you would be forgiven for believing you were in an asian city, noodle houses everywhere.
I realise that change is enevitable but this is happening far too quickly. No time for people to assimilate and accept their differences.

ken

Peter N
04-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Take stroll up Auckland`s main street and you would be forgiven for believing you were in an asian city, noodle houses everywhere.

Very true. I was in NZ for 2 months last year and walking down Queen Street in Auckland I reckon the place was 90% asian and 10% tourist. It didn't bother me but it made the Herald headlines make a bit more sense.

Mind you after that I spent the next 7 weeks down in Wanga-Vegas which was so out-in-the-sticks that my accent was a real novelty to the people there :D

Peter

speedy
04-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Mind you after that I spent the next 7 weeks down in Wanga-Vegas which was so out-in-the-sticks that my accent was a real novelty to the people there :D Peter

Celebrity is a wonderfull thing Peter:D , especially in a big town like Wanganui ( or Whanganui; depending on what tribe you come from:) )

Ken