PDA

View Full Version : Machining as Meditation?

rsr911
04-15-2006, 02:37 PM
As a person who finds himself practicing meditation more and more, searching to clear the mind I cannot help but notice how machining can do the same. A good example is that when I'm involved in a difficult project my entire focus is on the task at hand. In meditation we seek to first clear the mind and then to develop focus. Anyone else notice this or am I just as crazy as I thought I was? :)

John Stevenson
04-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................... ..

nheng
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Machining has a calming effect and can "bleed off" the stress created during the day. Also, coming home and punching a lathe, mill, 90 lb vise or 40 lb chuck provides very quick anger management :D

Peter N
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
I find it so calming I've been known to doze off when flycutting a long plate :D

Peter

old-biker-uk
04-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Or drilling holes in a division plate

Allan Dimmock
04-15-2006, 06:08 PM
In "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", Robert Persig quotes a Japanese maintenance manual that says something like "before working on this motorcycle, you should try to achieve peace of mind" (sorry, I couldn’t find the actual quote). That thought has always stuck with me, because I know that if I can’t start a job without at least a degree of inner calmness, I will almost certainly mess that job up.

black powder
04-15-2006, 06:44 PM
watchingh a shaper has a very calming effect, Good for the mind&sole

Millman
04-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Even high speed, single point threading with a close shoulder is like being on a long hunt, with your quarry already gutted and hung up, so you just stand back and admire your now Proven abilities. Now you sleep well!

Fasttrack
04-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Absolutely! I love mechanics machining and metal working in general for this reason. Just having a way to be creative and turn something in your mind into a reality is satisfying and calming. Its what helps me get through school!

TECHSHOP
04-15-2006, 08:03 PM
threading is definitely not relaxing for me; but it is like hunting/shooting, in that only one moment is the correct time.

Wait for it,
Wait for it,
NOW!

OTOH

hand filing and fetling precision parts...

Wayne02
04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
As a person who finds himself practicing meditation more and more, searching to clear the mind I cannot help but notice how machining can do the same. A good example is that when I'm involved in a difficult project my entire focus is on the task at hand. In meditation we seek to first clear the mind and then to develop focus. Anyone else notice this or am I just as crazy as I thought I was? :)
The only thing that does what you describe for me is when I'm actually driving the race car. That is when I feel the most relaxed. I could never figure this out because it seems counter intuitive on the surface. However, it was explained to me that it was likely that I am relaxed at that time because I'm only focused on the task at hand. There is no time for worry about the marriage, the bills, work etc just driving the race car for those 30 minutes, or longer for an enduro.

Wayne

DancingBear
04-15-2006, 10:57 PM
I can't speak to its similarity to meditation, but it sure can be absorbing. If I'm having a good session in the shop I can forget to eat, forget to get a drink of water, etc. Outside distractions seem to disappear and I get completely focused on the job. Hours later, I realize I'm parched, ravenously hungry, and have to pee like a racehorse! :D

But I wouldn't assume, because the folks on this board experience the same feeling, that you aren't crazy! :D

Walt

dicks42000
04-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Allan;
Isn't Robert Persig's quote "Working in the Japanese motorcycle requires much harmony ?"
Ever tried to repair a noisy, clunky cam chain on an early Honda 350/400 four...
What about the cam shaft bearing cap bolts on Suzuki GS750/850's that break off when you try to unscrew them....
Much harmony....
Peace.

dicks42000
04-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Meant "on" the motorcycle...I might be a bit short, but I can't fit in those small engines....I have stood on the piston crown of a Sulzer diesel though, while the head was off...

Scishopguy
04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
To me, there is nothing as satisfying as the sound and feel of a mill taking a healthy cut at optimum speed and feed. It is like love, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...8^)

Jim (KB4IVH)