PDA

View Full Version : OT Need help! (w/ my truck)

Fasttrack
04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry if this is too off topic here - but i'm in a little bit of a pinch. I've got a couple of days off for Easter and have been working on my truck. Since i'm away from school i can't contact my friend and automotive mentor about this and i was really hoping to get some seriuos work done this weekend. Anyway the problem i ran into is with the output shaft. After removing the tailshaft housing i found that the splined output shaft has a little bit of play in it. Actually its about an 1/8 of an inch total deviation, meaning it moves right about a 1/16 and left about a 1/16. It looks like a need a new bushing but how hard is it to replace? (This is for a TH-400 automatic trans) Looking at it, i can sort of see the bushing but its behind some molded pieces that support small shafts for the speedo gear and some other plastic gears. Any advice or help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks guys!

Tim Clarke
04-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Well, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Not that I'm any kind of expert, but. The tailshaft housing has a bushing that the slipyoke on the driveline runs in, with the yoke's splines engaging the tailshaft, thereby supporting the output shaft. If you haven't been having any problems with funny noises, or vibrations, I think you are good to go.

Regards, Tim

Fasttrack
04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
That was my initial response as well, but i figured as long as i have the transmission partially taken apart i just assume fix everything that looks like it may cause a problem in the future - or rather in the immidiate future. I have actually been throwing around the idea of just pulling it out and buying a master rebuild kit for it. Napa sells one for like 75 dollars with all the bushings, gaskets, seals, o-rings, friction material and steel, even the bands so i figured that might be a pretty economical choice rather than doing it piece at a time as stuff fails. It is pretty old...

Schutzhund
04-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Free "bump" for that paranoid "Fasttrack" guy. :D

Fasttrack
04-16-2006, 10:16 PM
hehe thanks - i even looked on the other page but somehow i didnt see it - man i feel pretty dumb!

Schutzhund
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Anytime ;)