PDA

View Full Version : Shars?

Millman
04-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Just received a 24" scale from Ebay seller, company's name is Shars. He also sent a catalog; never heard of that name before? Has anyone ordered from Shars before? Even though it's a Chinese scale, it's almost as flat and paralell as Evan's mill table; even though he was using a warped straightedge as reference! Sorry Evan, just had to throw that in! Most of their stuff is priced VERY low,so, wondering if you guys had tried any of their tooling? Had to sell all my Expensive Starret and B&S tooling years ago; due to injuries, so now I'm trying cheaper sources in order to replace them. Why spend Megabucks if you can no longer EARN the Megabucks? Know what I mean? Thanks!

david_r
04-21-2006, 02:42 AM
BFH,
They have a website. I bought a chinkanese mill vise at Industrial Pipe and Steel. It was from Shars.

BTW, why you using a scale as a straight edge? You should know better :D

Millman
04-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Evan used the warped straightedge as reference; not me! You know, you gotta' love the guy!

Evan
04-21-2006, 03:47 AM
Even though my straightedge is warped I have determined that if I make all measurements in a north-northwest or south-southeast orientation the slight warpage is perfectly compensated by the unusual mass concentration anomaly from a known iron ore body that exists to the south-west of my property. I have determined this by measuring the phase delay in the P waves detected by my seismograph when it records earthquakes off the coast of Vancouver Island.

I had to take some extraordinary measures when aligning my lathe in order to account for the local distortion of the gravitational field but it seems to have worked out so far.

Millman
04-21-2006, 04:21 AM
Well, I think the unusual mass and the gravitational field is some of the alignment and leveling problems some members are having with their machine tools; due to the frequency they may visit the Titty bars and driving distance to and from such establishments depending on which latitude and longitude the journey starts and ends. Contributing factors could also be the frame of mind that one has at the time, whether they have Norm as their bodyguard, or else he is riding along for a good time, there are just too many possibilities to fathom as a scenario to align yourself in any one direction. Man, I hope you get that phase thing worked out in your favor!

Forrest Addy
04-21-2006, 04:51 AM
I have dozen of virus sized black hole scattered around my shop to correct local gravitational distortions. Sheesh! Will the BS never end.

Shars has almost afffordable clone toolholders for the Multifix 40 position spline type tool post. I happen to have the "B" size and the Shars tool holder fits it. They also have granite squares in several sizes but I couldn't swear to their accuracy. I bought one but haven't got around to checking it.

John Stevenson
04-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Even though my straightedge is warped I have determined that if I make all measurements in a north-northwest or south-southeast orientation the slight warpage is perfectly compensated by the unusual mass concentration anomaly from a known iron ore body that exists to the south-west of my property. I have determined this by measuring the phase delay in the P waves detected by my seismograph when it records earthquakes off the coast of Vancouver Island.

I had to take some extraordinary measures when aligning my lathe in order to account for the local distortion of the gravitational field but it seems to have worked out so far.

Evan,
What about the curvature of the earth on a long bed lathe ?? :confused:

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Time( Eek) for a plug on the Megalithic Mile by Prof Thom.

Well, Evan, you are into such things. Like to comment?

The Black Dog

Millman
04-21-2006, 06:09 AM
This is ground control to Major Thom. There they go again.....another tangent. Good morning, Gents

Bill Pace
04-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I too recently found Shars in my quest for affordable tools (read "cheap"). Have purchased several items,-- ER40 collet set, DRO set-up for mill, 5C collet set, and just last wk, 4 spare tool holders for the Phase 11 QCTP, all were quite nice (considering where manufactured) and shipping was really fast. I find their web site really clunky/goofy, so I've just been phoning orders.

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Major Thom to Millman,

If you can understand it, you have to go off at a tangent!
It's the Shekinah.

Not an American thingy, your country is far too young to understand what real history is all about. I keep telling you but it is all in vain.

Now start Google-ing.

Cheers from one of the Grooved Ware People.

Rustybolt
04-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah. Aren't they
"Discount Tool" on Ebay?
If so They have a warehouse in StCharles, Illinois. Been there. Sort of like Enco used to be before they went digital. There are no europeans at all in the office. It makes it difficult to get a point across because only one employee speaks any type of english, almost, sort of. They do speak dollar though. That's where I got my $117.00 dollar toolpost.

Rustybolt
04-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah. Aren't they
"Discount Tool" on Ebay?
If so They have a warehouse in StCharles, Illinois. Been there. Sort of like Enco used to be before they went digital. There are no europeans at all in the office. It makes it difficult to get a point across because only one employee speaks any type of english, almost, sort of. They do speak dollar though. That's where I got my $117.00 dollar toolpost.

J Tiers
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Not an American thingy, your country is far too young to understand what real history is all about. I keep telling you but it is all in vain.

Cheers from one of the Grooved Ware People.

Ar One of my co-workers is from where there was a burgeoning society when the islanders and continentals were still swinging from the trees, if they were even there. Possibly they hadn't been tossed out for swearing yet and so had not had to go to those ice places ("n" suppressed on purpose).

But a short step from grooved ware to groovy, and back to the trees.

But I think I know what the local gravitational disturbance is, the problem is that material is usually not so dense. Unless Evan has a mass grave of politicians nearby..............

Evan
04-21-2006, 10:27 AM
The politicians here compete in a contest each year to see who can throw a dried cow patty the farthest. The winner gets his choice of rope...

There they go again.....another tangent.

You started it.

pcarpenter
04-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't know if I am on or off topic by posting an on-topic response :-)

I have purchased from Shars both by buying from them on Ebay (Discount Machine or something like that on Ebay) and by ordering direct over the years. They have a larger-than-average catalog of (all Chinese import) machinist tools etc. I have purchased several of their carbide insert lathe toolholders for example and have been reasonably impressed for the cost.

They had to order a few items for me once and charged me a separate shipping charge for the second shipment. I called and complained since it was not my fault it was not in stock and they were very cooperative and made good on it.

Seems to me that there are *several* Chinese import tool (mail order)dealers in the Chicago area. Shars and CDCO come immediately to mind. Be polite when dealing with the language difficulties, and the folks that I have dealt with are always kind and helpful.

Paul

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 01:15 PM
JT!

Just winding 'Machinist' up. Just winding the 'Welsh Wizards' up.

After all, it is Queenies Birthday and then it is time for us Brits to go Dragon Bashing on St Georges Day.

The rude remarks about the other planet, Venus and measurement of time, space and whatever, fell flat.

Maybe the news hasn't filtered through to the far flung bits around the Pond yet.

Nevertheless, nice to hear from you.

Norm

BobWarfield
04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I've had a good experience with Shars as well. I think of them as selling slightly upscale Asian goods. They are no Starrett, but they're better than the majority which is often junk. And yes, I discovered them via eBay.

Best,

BW

J Tiers
04-21-2006, 02:24 PM
The comment on their granite squares sounded interesting...... but they aren't currently in the on-line info.

I have accumulated three angle plates to generate square surfaces on, but have not gotten into that yet..... maybe the website will eventually work.

Norman, I admit I did find part of your second post quite glorious..........

Evan
04-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Evan,
What about the curvature of the earth on a long bed lathe ??

I just did the math. Error due to curvature of the earth is approximately .001" for every 15 feet of bed length.

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 03:29 PM
JT,

I was on something far earlier than the Book of Enoch which says

'And I saw in those days how long cords were given to two angels........
"Why have they taken those cords and gone off". And he said to me;
"They have gone off to measure" '

Classical engineering and not a bit of OT anywhere.

And then we mistranslated from the Greek "tekton" as carpenter instead of stone mason.

Just finding the real basis of engineering. Once you understand the basics, it's far easier.
Have fun with the granite. The grey Aberdeen or the Cairngorm pink?

Norm

Evan
04-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Heh. You are lifting that a bit out of context Norman. I was just reading it too.

Enoch 8-1 also says "Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered."

This could be taken as the beginning of metalwork but reading the rest you find that this was not a good thing.

8-2 "2Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways."

It goes on and it is one of the more interesting parts of the Bible to me.

"
3Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:
4Armers taught the solution of sorcery;
5Barkayal taught the observers of the stars,
6Akibeel taught signs;
7Tamiel taught astronomy;
8And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon,
9And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached to heaven."

John Stevenson
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I just did the math. Error due to curvature of the earth is approximately .001" for every 15 feet of bed length.

So these people who scrape a clapped out lathe back to 0.0001" are lying ?

Evan
04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Depends how you measure it. If you assume the lathe bed is warped by the force of gravity to follow the nominal curve of the earth it will have a curve that is .0005 high in the center compared to either end. That doesn't mean you can't shim it at one end and make it straight.

The problem is one of level. If you use a level (or plumb bob) to measure at one end compared to the other it will be off depending on how the level is oriented. I imagine this is an actual factor in the construction of large buildings as using gravitational normal to make the corners vertical would result in a building wider at the top than the bottom.

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Evan,
I'm all for some of these non spectator sports( or was, before the hospital cat) but I was going back to 4600 BCE.
In 3150BCE, the 'Lords of Light' arrive in Eygpt from an unknown island.

Old Enoch et cie, had had all the hard work done for them.
Surprisingly, the island was probably Anglesey in Welsh Wales- there is enough evidence to support the idea.

Back to Professor Thom.

My kindest regards to those from the Principality.

Norm

DancingBear
04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I had a Shars 6" dial calipers, it read a 1.0000" mic standard as 0.999".

I also had a 115pc. drill set from them, about half of the drills would cut with both edges when new, had to sharpen them. A couple turned out not to be hardened! :mad:

Admittedly both items were bought at woodworking shows from other vendors, so your mileage may vary.

I've replaced both with more reputable brands, and haven't looked back.

Walt

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Walt,
When I went to school with Euclid, Pythagoras and Anus Horriblis,
we didn't compare 3 places of decimals and 4 places in decimals without qualification.
Tain't engineering on this side of the Pond.

A terminalogical inexactitude?

Norm- which is about in between three Standard Deviations on each side.

IOWOLF
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Is there a web site for this place?

Evan
04-21-2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.shars.com/

Norman Atkinson
04-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Time to re-quote John Ruskin-1819-1900

" There's nothing that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper

And he who considers price only

is that man's lawful gain"

Only the spacing is mine.

Norm

DancingBear
04-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Walt,
When I went to school with Euclid, Pythagoras and Anus Horriblis,
we didn't compare 3 places of decimals and 4 places in decimals without qualification.
Tain't engineering on this side of the Pond.

A terminalogical inexactitude?

Norm- which is about in between three Standard Deviations on each side.

Norm,
To paraphrase Bugs Bunny, fortunately I've never studied engineering! :D

A fair cop, though. The dial calipers only read to 3 decimal places, but the micrometer standard clearly states '1.0000'. My point is that I'd have been a lot happier with the dial calipers if they had read '1.000' instead of '0.999'.

Come to think of it, I have a vague recollection of being told in freshman physics lab to never trust the last decimal place of an instrument, to use it for rounding purposes only. Am I remembering correctly?

Walt

IOWOLF
04-21-2006, 08:19 PM
A cheap calipers can flex 0.003 to 0.005 if improperly used.

and thanx Evan.

speedy
04-21-2006, 09:37 PM
A cheap calipers can flex 0.003 to 0.005 if improperly used.
and thanx Evan.

Well that is better tolerance than my 8" shifter (Crescent).
No more skinned knuckles?
In a tight squeeze? Also good for chipping slag.

Ken

TECHSHOP
04-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry guys I don't have much time to play online, and having "connectivity" problems today (must adjust my tin foil haberdashery). Back to spending 12 hours out of the shop, "Let us cultivate our garden". Likely won't get better until Sept.

Norm A.
Good to see you up to the old game, my brain is being squeezed dry daily, old dog learning new tricks, not much left for anything else. J. Ruskin is ok, more the fan of Art Nouveau. I like C. F. A. Voysey (even if his Pop caused a bit of a stir), some stuff by that C. Rennie M. is ok too, then it is off to the Americans for me. (Isn't your Queen's boy one of those types? Does that sounds worse than it is there (UK), than here (US), on her B-day yet?).

just the standard deviation from the HSM topics...

david_r
04-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Walt,
Would you use a Starett dial caliper to measure .001 if you really needed to be that precise?

Evan
04-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Would you use a Starett dial caliper to measure .001 if you really needed to be that precise?

All the time. I rarely need to haul out the mics.

Norman Atkinson
04-22-2006, 03:09 AM
Sorry, I was having one of "My Black Dogs" Nothing to do with Harry Potter and goes back a long, long way. I lost an air crew on the 21st April.- only seems like yesterday. Measurement Fault- they said( wrongly). Walt, sorry, I was being a right so and so!

TechShop,
Yea, I'm very much into the classics. As a kid, there was a war on.
The classics- or that gentle way of life wasn't even on the Ration. It didn't exist! On a bright note, it was Queenie who first quoted " Annus Horriblis" in a Christmas speech after the death of Diana. It didn't take much of a Latin scholar to see what she really meant.

So - feeling much better- it's St George's Day next. Here we take it very seriously. One of locals actually cut one in " Three halves" or so the words of the "Lambton Worm" suggest.

On that interesting fact, have a great weekend.

Norm

david_r
04-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Evan,
I need some schooling on how you do that. I haven't figured out how to tell the difference between .0014 and .0015, or .0004 and .0005 with mine.

Evan
04-22-2006, 11:04 AM
The question was measuring to .001", not .0001". Still it is easily possible to interpolate to fractions of .001 with a dial caliper. Not to the nearest tenth but certainly to less than .001". Frequently what is needed isn't the exact value but a comparative value. If I am fitting a bearing to a bore I don't care if the caliper is telling me the absolute size of the bearing or the bore, just the relative sizes. The advantage of using a caliper over a mic in this case is that the same instrument can be used for both measurements so repeatability is assured as long as the operator is consistent.

There is a lot of room between the marks. In this pic the caliper is indicating one or two tenths low from the zero. Again, I often don't need to know if the item is really that absolute size but only the relative size. If I need two opposite surfaces to be parallel then I need the thickness to be the same, regardless of what the thickness actually is.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/cal3.jpg

It's about consistency in using the device and eliminating the sources of inconsistency. Abbé error is the most common fault. The calipers must be held square to the work in all planes. Once the operator is thoroughly familiar with the instrument very precise measurement can be obtained.

Of course with a digital caliper it isn't possible to interpolate and it is also subject to the inherent +- one count error that all digital counting devices are subject to. A digital caliper may read .999 or 1.001 when measuring a 1.000 object. This is unavoidable. It can be mitigated if the digital device actually measures with an internal resolution ten times higher than the display resolution.

Ryobiguy
04-22-2006, 02:03 PM
OK, now I feel like I'm off topic talking about Shars.
I ordered a toolpost from them off ebay, and they didn't ship it for TWO WEEKS after I payed for it (right when I bought it.) I finally sent them a message, and all of a sudden it's like they forgot about my order and then finally put it in the mail. I have never received a response from them on ebay, probably the languauge barrier that keeps their prices so low. Ohyeah, forget about combining shipment costs on their ebay auctions, they're making a lot of money in shipping (which makes their prices on par with Enco [without the free shipping.]) What's their shipping cost like when ordered from the catalog?

As someone mentioned, the website is so unusable, I'd never put my CC # into it. I'd also kind of worried that they'd not take my order correctly, but with prices like that (and wide selection,) I am tempted to order.

Bolster
11-09-2010, 04:28 PM
This looks like the right place to post up experiences with Shars (advertising in the banner above) so here goes.

7 days ago I purchased a $59 2" chuck item 202-5403. Out of round by .018. Being returned today. No resistance to the return, an RMA was given to me.

Rather than take a second gamble on the same item, I upgraded to a 4" chuck, 202-5416. Advertised $82, was charged $130. Called to check the disparity, and after some resistance, a new invoice was issued to me for the as-advertised price.

http://www.shars.com/products/view/949/4quot_Three_Jaw_Precision_Chuck_amp_R8_Adaptor

Watching this transaction closely...will report on results. A rocky start... but hoping for the best.

photomankc
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I've had decent luck. Got a toolmaker's vice from them that was a picture of squareness and flatnes. I love that thing but I did need to make a few upgrades to the cross pin and screw to make it less of a hassle to open and close.

The squares I got from them seem decent but I don't know how fine a level they can be trusted to.

The 4" 4 jaw I got for my rotary table looked like it was machined by angry rats. It's a mass of burrs and rough surfaces. Works ok for what I needed it for though but certainly not a high quality item.

The endmill set I got is garbage. They may as well be spinning butter knives. I cut a slot with one and it left horrible burrs and chattered no matter what. I now have some Maritool and OSG endmills and they are a world apart, cut like razors. I'll not buy another HSS endmill from them again.

Got a 5/8" indexable endmill from them and love it. Cuts kinda nasty in the heavy cuts but when you take that final .005 of the top it leaves a fantastic surface and I can usually use it on some stuff where my 2.5" facemill chatters too much and still get a really nice finished surface. The sides are not perfectly square though so it's not great to sidemill with.

Every DTI I have purchased there was junk and dead within weeks. I broke down and found an Ebay deal on a B&S Bestest for when I need a nice one and ordered a Fowler for more general purpose use.

Dial indicators, Calipers, 123 blocks, angle sets, parallels... all that stuff has been fine for my use.

It's a mixed bag.

gwilson
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I bought a granite square for the shop where I worked from Shars. It traded blue all over with the good American made granite squares I have for my own use.

I bought a 48" dial caliper from them. It was out only .002" at a 15" distance when checked with a mint condition B&S micrometer standard. I wasn't too disappointed with that,so I got one for myself. I'm building a woodworking duplicating carver,and need a large measuring device for setting it up.

Now,let me relate a story about a genuine USA made Starrett dial caliper. I had another caliper,a Mit. in the shop,and hadn't used the Starrett for INSIDE measuring before. When I ruined a part I was turning on the lathe,I checked the Starrett out. It measured out by .008" on the inside measuring jaws. I called their repair shop,and got a bunch of **** from the tech because it was out of warranty. Finally,I persuaded him to at least look at it and see that it had never been dropped,or damaged,then decide wether to fix it. They did fix it,and when I got it back,it was ONLY .005" out!!!! I got hold of a vice president SOMEHOW,and told him the story,and the name of the woman who had repaired it. I said I could understand how it could have gotten out of the factory ONCE,but not how it could have again after special attention. He did send me a new one.

I must say I have never bought an Asian caliper that was as messed up as that Starrett,and they are my favorite toolmakers for OLD tools I can find in mint condition.

Like Evan,I find it seldom necessary to get a mic out,and can easily get 1/2 thousandths out of a dial. You DO have to know how to hold them,and HOW HARD to squeeze them,for sure.

To the person with the Shars .999 dial: you might try adjusting the little tension screws on top of the frame and see if you can get the correct 1.00 to come up.

EDIT!!!! I GOT ABSENT MINDED!!! I BOUGHT THE CALIPER AND SQUARE FROM CDCO. SORRY!!.

gnm109
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
OK, now I feel like I'm off topic talking about Shars.
I ordered a toolpost from them off ebay, and they didn't ship it for TWO WEEKS after I payed for it (right when I bought it.) I finally sent them a message, and all of a sudden it's like they forgot about my order and then finally put it in the mail. I have never received a response from them on ebay, probably the languauge barrier that keeps their prices so low. Ohyeah, forget about combining shipment costs on their ebay auctions, they're making a lot of money in shipping (which makes their prices on par with Enco [without the free shipping.]) What's their shipping cost like when ordered from the catalog?

As someone mentioned, the website is so unusable, I'd never put my CC # into it. I'd also kind of worried that they'd not take my order correctly, but with prices like that (and wide selection,) I am tempted to order.

I bought something from them a year or so ago...can't remember what it was....might have been a collet. In any case, I had the same experience. They never shipped it until I threatened them with a negative feedback. It took something like three weeks.

CDCO Tools or Enco are much better suppliers. Their shipping is always fast and they have good items.

Black_Moons
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow, I use telescopic gauges (And sometimes use them with mics) because I don't really trust my chinese caliper to 0.002+- on the inside jaws.. But to think a starrett could be even worse then that, Twice...

What did they think repairing was? Grinding them to repeat zero in a 1" bore?

Its not like you can really zero the ID jaws to anything unless you don't mind zero being +1" or something.

gwilson
11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
MAN!!!! I am getting VERY absent minded. The 48" caliper and granite square I bought WERE FROM CDCO!!!!

I am currently taking a new med that does have a side effect of messing up recent memory,sorry!

EddyCurr
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
MAN!!!! I am getting VERY absent minded. The 48" caliper and granite
square I bought WERE FROM CDCO!!!!Perhaps consider going back to post #43 and adding a caveat/edit there.

In my experience, forum folks (including myself) don't always succeed at
reading each post in a thread thoroughly.

cryptrx
11-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Ebay would love to know Shars includes a catalog with your Ebay purchase.

You should let Ebay know

--Bill

wooleybooger
11-09-2010, 11:56 PM
why warn e-bay? i like to take the catalog to the ranch and look thru it at lunch. they get their money when i buy thru e-bay later. Im a rank amateur and am happy with the stuff Ive bought. not NASA quality (or maybe it is, considering the screw-ups they ve had). the price on their measuring tools allows me to learn the proper use before really screwing up an expensive tool

gwilson
11-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks,Eddycur,I thought I HAD!! edited #43. Wonder why it didn't take??

Bolster
11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
My concern is that the reps on the phone at Shars aren't fully engaged. For example, not being able to answer basic questions about the tooling, and being willing to argue even though they're unclear about the products they're selling.

Maybe that's normal. I'm a little spoiled with my Grizzly purchases, because it seems to me their techs do know their products well and will figure out what you want to know if they don't know off-hand. And ENCO has been really easy to deal with also. But, we'll see where Shars goes...my mind is open. They may turn out great. Their prices are pretty good.

Black Forest
11-10-2010, 04:24 AM

You guys are killing me with all this stuff! Now I have heard it all. The feng shui

of lathe placement. I just take a BFH and give it a whack. Good enough for this farmer!

whitis
11-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Ebay would love to know Shars includes a catalog with your Ebay purchase.

That is a valid practice. Ebay has rules prohibiting you from trying to direct the initial sale off ebay, so there are limits to what kinds of links you can post to your site. You can link to a page on your site with info about the product, provided that page doesn't offer the product for sale (bypassing ebay). Once someone buys from you, however, they are your customer. You are not required to hide your identity from them. You aren't allowed to create an auction listing for a catalog from which someone can order products but the policy doesn't prohibit you from including a catalog along with a completed sale for an actual item, which a number of sellers do. HHIP included a catalog with my ebay purchase. Shars included one but it wasn't an ebay purchase. If someone doesn't include a catalog, it is probably because they don't have one.

As far as Shar's is concerned, I recently received an order for 32 line items. Looks reasonable for the most part. Some issues:
- 202-9529 Machinist Jack and 505-1206 Toolmaker's parallel clamps had some minor rust. A lot of the stuff was packed with oil paper or heavily oiled.
- pin gauges all individually wrapped in oil paper.
- 404-7388 Tapping guide - incredibly loose clearance fit (IIRC it was something like 14 mils) allows tap handle to tilt.
- 202-3401 live center - bearings feel a bit rough
- 202-6040 magnetic base lamp doesn't have room for the compact fluorescent lamp with proper color temperature I intended to use. A very small one would fit but still extends below the lip of the shade so there is no protection (wouldn't be for an incandescent, either).
- 202-6051 8x12x2" granite surface plate with indicator holder (comparator stand). The indicator holder is beefier than the normal mag base ones (20mm and 12mm rods) but the adjusting hinge will shift position if I lift the probe of a dial indicator to insert something under it to be measured and the screw on the lug back doesn't prevent the indicator from swiveling. Reads 0 dead on using 0.000050" indicator sliding a gage block underneath, though. No Airy Point mounting feet. Surface plate needed good cleaning.
- 303-9501 Master Precision Level - screws and nails holding the clasp and hinges on the wood box came loose. Wood is really soft. Manual doesn't really fit in box which loads the clasps. Similar nails/screws on 303-5119 angle gage blocks. Level is hand scraped.
- some things came in zip poly bags that were incredibly thin (and in some cases tore).
- 303-5106 thread wires, numbering on the pouch pockets already starting to wear off.
- 303-1020 depth base for caliper - isn't cut out to clear the hardware that holds the depth probe in place when using the chinese digital calipers but will fit if you remove hardware.
- radius/angle gage sets had no instruction sheets, no statement of accuracy on web site (Starrett is guilty of that as well).
- cal certs pass/fail or absent. Manuals or instruction sheets leave something to be desired.

As chinese stuff goes, it isn't bad.