PDA

View Full Version : Can pony stay belted?

notillr
04-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Can I leave the pony belted to the idler when it is running on a redneck rpc? The pony is capacitor start, if it makes any difference.

Millman
04-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Ya' know, if I had a pony that wouldn't obey, I'd take a hammer to it.

Mike Burdick
04-22-2006, 12:23 PM
notillr,

Yes it can remain belted. Another method for connecting the "pony" to the RPC is by using a Lovejoy coupling instead of belts. This way the two motors can be connected end to end and thus will eliminate the side pressure on both motor's bearings caused by the tight belt.

doctor demo
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I have a home made rotary phase converter that an old electrician gave me years ago,it works flawlessly and since i've seen several simular to mine. but i have never seen one with a pony motor . you have my intrest, i would like more details, it is never to late to learn something new:
thanks, steve

notillr
04-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a home made rotary phase converter that an old electrician gave me years ago,it works flawlessly and since i've seen several simular to mine. but i have never seen one with a pony motor . you have my intrest, i would like more details, it is never to late to learn something new:
thanks, steve

Nothing very interesting about it, compared to yours. Instead of having capacitors to start it, it is spun up to speed by a single phase motor. Your's is interesting, mine is redneck notech.