PDA

View Full Version : X Y Call in CAD

John Stevenson
04-22-2006, 07:25 PM
This is a screen shot of the XY callout command in my CAD system, Fastcad.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/xycall.jpg

Very handy for simple jobs on the mill where you want to use the DRO for setting out / simple jobs.

Type in XY, set the reference point to work from, the select end of line, intersection or centre and you have a callout.

What I would like to know is, does any of the low cost shareware or freebie programs do the same thing without jumping thru hoops ?

I want this so I can teach some moves to people with examples but Fastcad is hardly a pocket money program.

Thanks.

nheng
04-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Sir John, In Intellicad (Autocad), you could use "ordinate" dimensions. No pretty box, but point and click at the "x" of each entity and a dimension with multi-segment leader appears, hit space and the next, etc. Repeat for the "y" values. With AutoLisp you could probably do exactly what you have now but haven't used it in years. Intellicad and it's close relatives are inexpensive AutoCad (cheaper itself these days) 2D packages. Den

LES A W HARRIS
04-22-2006, 08:40 PM
JS,
X,Y, Co-ordinate Dimensioning, in Visual Cadd, As a former Generic Cadd User I got it for $129.00 about $495.00 new.
Looks similar to Fast Cadd, click ref corner, to set co-ordinate origin, cick circle, stretch to where one needs to place the co-ordinate, click to place, command is modal, click next feature, stretch, click to place, and so forth. Do not know of any real inexpensive software.

Smokedaddy
04-22-2006, 09:22 PM
...... deleted

John Stevenson
04-23-2006, 06:35 AM
OK
I'll reply to it to bump it back up.
I know of the cheaper versions of Autocad like ProgeCAD, Intellicad but the learning curve is too steep for a newbie who just wants to get DRO points and as I said it needs to be simple.

Easycad can do this as well as Fastcad but I was trying to save these guys some money and point them to a shareware type program like DraftCAD or the earlier TurboCAD

I find this feature really handy in that I often print out the ZYCallouts and take the print into the shop and just using the callouts and the DRO make the part I want.

If you are running cheaper or shareware programs can you check for this feature please.

LES A W HARRIS
04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
As JS stated, print it out, mark each feature with highlighter as you machine it.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/GEARS06/capture_23042006_063955.jpg

Visual Cadd (2D) program.
Reads writes, DWG, DXF etc.
Usual disclaimers, satisfied customer.