PDA

View Full Version : MICE

Don McDonald
04-19-2001, 09:47 PM
New to this group. Nice board! My passion is miniature internal combustion engines (MICE). I want to build multi cylinder engines for my model RC airplanes. Have a little aluminum foundary in the works, and would like to know how much of a typical 2/4 stroke I can cast? Can the crankshaft be made of aluminum? What about the cylinder, does it have to be plated, or have a liner?

huntfamgjc
04-26-2001, 02:56 AM
NO alu. cranks !!!!!!!!!!!! cyl. should have a liner, cast iron and 12L14 both work good, you should be able to cast the head(s) , block , cylinders and other small parts such as the intake .

Don McDonald
04-26-2001, 10:52 AM
I have heard of plating the cylinder rather than lining it. A local company does snowmobile engines by pulling out the liner and coating the aluminum by brush plating with Nikasil. Can small engine cylinders be plated for use with rings?

SGW
04-26-2001, 01:04 PM
If you haven't yet, look at "Strictly I.C." magazine. It has had a LOT of really good information over the years about building small i.c. engines.

Don McDonald
04-26-2001, 03:34 PM
I actually subscribe to Strictly IC and they offer packages of back issues. I am trying to work my way back as my finances allow. Unfortunately a lot of the info that I would like is buried in the earlier issues.

Also would like to throw out ideas that develop from some of the articles. They tend to be fairly brief ( the magazine is a small issue ) so authors often assume you know the basics of their topic.

It would be great if Strictly IC considered doing a CD of back issues as is being discussed for Home Shop Machinist.