PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Metal ?

Cecil Walker
04-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I need to buy a small (12"-24") sheet metal shear and break, and know very little (read nothing) about sheet metal equipment. All the metal will be 18 ga. or less and no alum. I prefer to buy new if possible. It may not be the case here but i have a distrust of 3 in 1 machines. Any suggestions, recommendations, hints, etc. from the sheet metal guru's out there, any help will be appreciated.

IOWOLF
04-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I have a 30" 3 in 1 and like it,of course I have very little in it and made some siding corners that the Mgr. doesn't have any more,It has paid for itself. If you have a use for a machine that just does 18 and smaller gage sheet metal, and limited space ,I would recommend it.

Usual disclaimers apply

Cecil Walker
04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
IOWOLF, I will buy a 3 in 1 if it will do the job. If i may ask, what brand do you have, or does it make a difference? Thanks for the quick reply.

IOWOLF
04-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Mine is a Clark but as with Many chicom stuff its' all the same.
One thing thoughThere has been alot of tables broken due to over size work or flaws in the casting,If you are the adventurous type,Find one that has a broken table like I did, and put a 3" channel under it, a H/F floor model with a broken table may go for 1/2 price and if you have a mill a fly cutter and an hour or 2,You can save some $. I can send pics. If you want to go this route.

Cecil Walker
04-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Have mill, have fly cutter, if i find a broken 3 in 1 i will definately contact you. Thanks for the offer.

Too_Many_Tools
04-24-2006, 04:39 PM
LOL...every 3-in-1 sheet metal shear/brake tool I have ever seen in person has had the table broken.

If yours isn't broken yet, I suggest beefing it up now instead of later.

TMT

darryl
04-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Sheesh! I can't keep a blade from breaking on my bandsaw, and now I can expect the table on the sheet metal machine to break! Guess I'm going to have to start looking for some good Canadian made gear! :)