PDA

View Full Version : Check out this small mill.

gundog
04-25-2006, 02:26 AM
I like the looks of this thing but I have been wanting a bigger machine for 3k I think I could get a used Bridgeport with DRO. I have been keeping my eye out but this little jewel looks interesting it is a step up from my mill/drill.
GD

http://portland.craigslist.org/tls/153790943.html

John Stevenson
04-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but it looks expensive for 3K,
That mill with the power feed I posted in the "Interesting Machine " thread I reckon will only fetch about £850 to £900 UKP here with 2 axis DRO, vice, full set of collets and a box of cutters.

I can never understand why second hand machines fetch the prices they do in the US when new machines are cheaper there than anywhere else.

gundog
04-25-2006, 07:04 AM
I agree John if this machine was under 1K I would probably buy it but not for that kind of money.
Mike

JCHannum
04-25-2006, 08:06 AM
The ad is by a member who frequents the PM site. It is a good mill, but is merely a version of the Rockwell horizontal milling machine that includes the vertical head as well.

The Rockwell vertical is a good machine, I have one and it meets my needs completely. The inclusion of the horizontal may or may not be an advantage, as it would add some benefits.

Either a vertical or horizontal should fall into the +- $1500 price range, and the combination does not double the value. It is not especially rare, I know of a few. With the nicked up table and 3 phase power, it falls into the lower end of the price range.

One of the advantages of the vertical mill is that it is easily dismantled for moving. The horizontal features add weight and more bits & pieces to make this more difficult.

Part of the reason second hand machines command a high price here is that I believe there is a tendency among the unknowing to equate cost with quality. I think there are a number of people who along with their trophy wives and trophy homes have trophy shops, all of which are more for display than for use. They feel they are demonstrating their worth by showing the world how much they can afford to pay for something.

That reasoning and the glowing description of the supposed rarity in the ad, may well bring Brett his asking price, and help to drive the cost of good machines even higher.

bob308
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
john i agree with you on this one.
i have seen a used woreout b-p sell for over 3,000 and the guy thought he had something. i was at a auction where a wells index went for 6,000. when i bought my enco with vari.speed power feed and dro. and the box ways on the y axias. new for 4,800.

gundog
04-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I kind of like this one the thought of a horizontal and vertical machine in one machine might be a good idea. Does anyone have any comments on this Shop Fox?
GD

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOP-FOX-Horizontal-Vertical-Mill-w-Power-Feed-New_W0QQitemZ7610995531QQcategoryZ66917QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Peter N
04-25-2006, 10:39 AM
How about this mill, just gone on to e-bay in the UK? Not much use uneless you want to ship it over there of course, but quite an interesting item, and not too dissimilar to the one Sir John posted about earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7613258450&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Peter

Timleech
04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
How about this mill, just gone on to e-bay in the UK? Not much use uneless you want to ship it over there of course, but quite an interesting item, and not too dissimilar to the one Sir John posted about earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7613258450&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Peter

Wandering off-topic, the shaper enthusiasts among you might like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORMEROD-10-HORIZONTAL-SHAPER_W0QQitemZ7613270708

which the same vendor has. Failed to sell last time they listed it, unless they found a second one!

Tim

Milacron of PM
04-25-2006, 02:16 PM
JS, I presume you are referring to home shop oriented machines, as many used commerical shop size machines, especially CNC ones sell dirt cheap in the USA. And if in the right place at the right time, even home shop machines go cheap. A 1990 Lagun mill of Bridgeport style, with vari speed head, 2 axis Anilam DRO, and Servo power feed units on Z and X, just sold in the St Petersburg area of Florida last Saturday for $500 at auction. Machine was all original paint, no marks on (long) table, clean overall.

I arrived at the auction aprox 55 seconds after it sold. Needless to say I was a bit annoyed at myself for missing an exit.

Rustybolt
04-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Gundog. For 3k you could get a decent used BP with a whole lot of extras.

Ries
04-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately Gundog appears to live in the Pacific Northwest- a desert when it comes to used machine tools.
No $3000 bridgeports on every corner around here.
Usually, there are only 2 or 3 decent auctions a year, and thats within a 500 mile radius.
Business is just too good up here, and there wasnt much industry to begin with.
Ocassionally, Boeing surplus has a mill- usually much bigger than a bridgeport, though- they have 3 big old cinncinatti's coming up, each about 3 times the weight of a BP, and they will go pretty high.

If you are really patient around here, sometimes you can find a deal, but it can take years.
Which is why many people up here break down and buy new imports.

As far as the Shop Fox goes, Shop Fox is another brand of Grizzly- and Grizz has basically the same mill for about 600 bucks less, if you drive up to Bellingham and pick it up-
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3617

Grizz is okay for home use- not industrial, though, in my opinion.

doug931
04-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Gundog, Thats is a very nice machine, I bought one two years ago from Houseof tools. The vertical head has more rigidity than a Bridgeport. Once you use a horizontal for slotting or facing you will never look back.
Doug

Evan
04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
What Don said. There is a Cincinatti #4 for sale in Vancouver for about 3000 dollars US. Weighs about 11,000 lbs though. There's a TOS #5 listed for "make an offer" too.

gundog
04-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Ries,
You hit the nail on the head I have been watching for a used BP for over a year and nothing. I have been tempted to bid on something in LA and just drive down and pick it up. I see lots of deals in Florida, NY, Mich,Ill. on ebay but never around here. My shop slab would not hold a 11,000 LB machine I don't think. I notice on ebay a place in S California Irwin is the town Reliable is the name of the place they seem to always have some nice looking stuff for sale on ebay. I always wonder how worn out the stuff is though. I would hate to make that drive to look at worn out equipment. I am starting to think import will be the way I go when I upgrade.
GD

MikeHenry
04-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I arrived at the auction aprox 55 seconds after it sold. Needless to say I was a bit annoyed at myself for missing an exit.

The buyer might have been a lot more annoyed if you had made the exit. Must be some sort of metalworking karma equilibrium thing going on.

Ries
04-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Gundog- I suggest you get a subscription- FREE- to the advertising mag called Machinery Journal.
http://www.tstonramp.com/~macpub/page3.html

It is a west coast only mag that comes once a month, and it is ALL ads for used machinery dealers, mostly in California.

For instance, in a recent one, there were probably 2 dozen used bridgeports listed by several dealers. These are industrial dealers, who sell better quality machines, but, of course, at higher prices- seems like in LA, the average for a used Vari-speed with a DRO is running from 5 to 7 grand. Import clones are cheaper, of course.
Now thats a retail price, as opposed to an auction price.
But most of these dealers are MDNA dealers, which means they are pretty reputable, and most can arrange relatively low cost shipping.
Shouldnt cost more than $500 to get a mill up to you from Cali- and if you find the right mill, at a decent price, plus shipping, you will be making parts, instead of waiting years for a deal.

I have ended up buying from far away dealers a few times, and even with shipping, saving money versus Northwest prices. I bought a big D&K brake from a dealer in Houston a few years ago, and even with $500 freight, I saved a grand or two from a Seattle price, If I could find one in Seattle, which I could not.

Wheeler, in LA, seems to have a good 10 or 15 used bridgeports, at lower prices than most-
http://inv.wheelermachinery.com/q/webinv/008611=a

QSIMDO
04-26-2006, 07:26 PM
FWIW that Reliable Tool from eBay had a nice write-up in the SME monthly magazine some months back.
Seems on the up & up.

Next week I'm visiting these folks http://www.industrialsurplus.com/machines.htm and let them do their dog & pony show for me.

Now, I'm not a seasoned machine buyer by any stretch, but I figure if they say one Bridgeport is in "good condition" and another is in "very good condition" they should damn well be able to explain how they arrived at that.

Mostly I've narrowed my search to the Grizzly G6760 which I believe I was told is a Lagun knock-off?
WhadoIknow?...wouldn't know a Lagun if it dropped on my foot. (I'll search later)
But it seems to have the good stuff. I learned at Grizzly to click on the page and then open the PDF for specifications. In there is where I found that the machine has angular contact bearings, one shot lube, spindle brake, etc.

I wasn't much interested until I read all that...relatively speaking in my price range, etc.

I'll still check out the used Bridgeports but I'm pretty sure I want to wear something out myself.
Try anyway.

lane
04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
That is a sweet home shop mill I hade one befour I got my Bridgport . Bought used in 1978 for 2000.00 sold it for4000.00in 1990. The price of machines vary around the country if they are available they are cheep if not they are high priced. 3 k is not a bad price here.

ztarum
04-29-2006, 10:21 AM
For reference, I sold a very nice Rockwell horizontal/vertical (no nicks in table, original paint, some tooling, etc.) for $1,500 about a year ago. I had it advertised with pictures for about 3 months at $2,000 with only a couple of nibbles. I lowered the asking price to $1,500 and I had half a dozen inquiries within the first day, and had it sold the next.
On mine, it was local pick-up only. Location was Philadelphia area.

I think willingness to ship and general location affect sale prices a great deal. Even still, $3000 seems like a bit of a reach.