PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Atlas 12X36

Paul James
04-25-2006, 10:38 AM
I have a Atlas 12X36 lathe, model #3986. The apron handwheel shaft part #9-67 has excessive play, it is “loose as a goose”. I removed the carriage, handwheel and shaft. Pressed into the apron is a bronze bushing. In the parts listing they show bushing part # 10-264. Is bushing #10-264 the bushing that is pressed into the apron? If so how difficult is it to replace?

JCHannum
04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I have an older parts list for the 10" lathe, and it does not show a bushing. A bushing there is not a bad idea and may have been added in later models.

It should not be difficult to remove, and probably can be replaced with an oilite bearing available locally. You will have to drill an oil hole in the new bushing.

Rex
04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Right behind that shaft is a pot-metal gear reduction set, between that pinion shaft and the rack. That case often breaks the casting and makes for a very loose handwheel action. Be sure to check it while you are in there amongst it.

RPM
04-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I have an Atlas/Craftsman 12x 36, a 101.07403 from the mid 1940's. When I got it, the apron wheel was very sloppy, and after puting up with it for a couple of years, I enlarged the hole and pressed a standard bushing into it. none of these come with a bushing originally, the spindle just rotated in the apron casting, so you're in luck that somebody already did the difficult part for you :-). I'm surprised that the existing bushing wore out that quickly, but you never know what use the lathe had before. Just press out the old bushing, and replace it with a new one. I didn't have a proper press for this, so just used a heavy bench vise, Very Carefully!
Good luck
Richard in Los Angeles

Mike Burdick
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Just a note here: If the bushing is non-standard, you might consider taking measurements before removing it. That way you'll still have the lathe working to make the replacement.:) "lathe heal thyself"

Rex
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I 'spect one could remove the apron (on an Atlas) and still have enough function to make a small bushing like this. Lock the carriage, align the compound with the spindle.

gzig5
04-26-2006, 02:27 PM
You didn't say if the play is vertical (shaft or bore wear) or rotational (backlash). I also have a 12x36 with a sloppy handle. A lot of the play/backlash in mine comes from the the gear on the end of the shaft the handle mounts to. The gear has a square bore and is staked onto the square end of the shaft. The bore of the zamak gear has worn and now it rotates a bit on the shaft. You might want to check that on yours.
Greg