PDA

View Full Version : Stars

topct
04-25-2006, 09:00 PM
I see the stupid rating thing has gone haywire. :D

Evan
04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Hmmm. Only for the last 22 posts. Maybe somebody has been fiddling?

CCWKen
04-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I think someone just went through posting a rating. I didn't know you could do that without posting an entry. :rolleyes:

topct
04-25-2006, 09:33 PM
"Yeah, I think someone just went through posting a rating. I didn't know you could do that without posting an entry."

Yup. Just gave Level Heads stepper motor question a five star rating.

CCWKen
04-25-2006, 09:35 PM
That's not all that's going on. My sig line just went away and I haven't changed anything. :eek:

topct
04-25-2006, 10:08 PM
So I have given this post a terrible rating.

To reflect the terrible aspects of this feature.

C - ROSS
04-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I hope that they can find the kid that just registered and remove him/her (it) from the board.

Ross

Scishopguy
04-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I was wondering about the "stars" business. There is alot about this forum that is not clear to me. I had no I dea you could do any of that stuff, like rating a thread. Also, what is the deal with the little red triangle up in the right top header bar, next to a number? Sorry to be so ignorant, I just machine things and fix stuff and am not a computer whiz.

Jim (KB4IVH)

ps: From what I saw working in the shop at the university, past a certain point, the more time you spent diddling with the computer the less work got done.

topct
04-26-2006, 04:56 PM
This is from the FAQ list concerning the rating system,

"You may find a small menu on thread pages which allows you to 'rate this thread' with a number between 1-5.

Casting a vote for threads you view is entirely optional, but if you think that the thread is superb, you might rate it as a 5-star thread, or if you think that it's unspeakably dismal, you might choose to rate the thread with a single star.

Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you may see a set of stars appear with the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and can allow you to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy forum with a lot of threads."

The little red triangle can be ignored. :D

torker
04-26-2006, 06:43 PM
I hope that they can find the kid that just registered and remove him/her (it) from the board.

Ross
Who dat? An engineer perhaps?

Evan
04-26-2006, 07:16 PM
An engineer perhaps?

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/button.jpg

torker
04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/button.jpg
What? Are you the new Goderator now?
Why don't you give the "button" to the guy who made the post I quoted?
I don't get to sit in front of a computer all day so I must have missed it.

Evan
04-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Nah. That was meant for engineers.

torker
04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
OK...I still missed something, but who cares. On the prod today...sorry. Some little a$$holes tried to break into my night managers apartment last night. They even had the bedroom lights on. Smashed the door jamb and broke out the backset.
Night guy heard them trying to break into the bus depot next door right after that.
RCMP sent ONE female cop. She was scared to go into the alley where these creeps where. Nice!
They got away.
Now I'm waiting for the night guy to quit. When he first wanted the job I told him he should have a loaded shotgun but he wouldn't listen.
Oh...I first thought this thread was about the STARS air ambulance.
(we support them....they helped save our sons life once)

IOWOLF
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
They are going ballistic now.

topct
04-27-2006, 05:52 PM
"Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you may see a set of stars appear with the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and can allow you to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy forum with a lot of threads."

It was well pointed out that the this BBS software has some holes in it.

This is one.

There are some other features that seem to have been included that seem a bit inane.

But all in all it does move on a dial up fairly well.

Some adjustments could be made (as demonstrated) I suspect. But even if they are not, oh well.

TECHSHOP
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Scishopguy asked:

"What is the deal with the little red triangle up in the right top header bar, next to a number?"

That is the button to report that the "post is bad"; what the moderators will do then is anybody's quess.

I haven't tried it, because I can't turn myself in.

But I think the "stars" in question are the work of a troll, I don't know how he works "the system", hope it isn't "automated".