PDA

View Full Version : New mill drill

SteveC
02-07-2003, 10:27 PM
I finaly did it I bought a harbor freight mill drill. I haven't made anything with it yet, so I can't really comment on it's abilities yet, but I did notice that the t-slot grooves are cast instead of being machined. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to mill the slots open to some standard size?

Thanks
Steve

RayS
02-07-2003, 10:43 PM
First project, mill up some t-slot nuts to fit the slots.

Philt
02-08-2003, 03:44 AM
Is this a 33686 model mill/drill? I ask this because my HF mill/drill has machined t slots.

Just wondering.

Phil Teague

SteveC
02-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Yes that's the machine. It looks to me that the "T" is machined, but the top, or narrow part of the slot seems to vary alot from end to end. I haven't really taken a close look, but I'll be getting into it soon.
Let me ask you another question since you have the same machine. It seems to be quite the hassle to change spindle speeds. Is there any trick to handling the belts?

Steve

------------------

Alan in Oz
02-08-2003, 06:53 PM
Steve,
I owned a mill/drill before and one of the things I did was to replace the original (China Rope brand) belts with good quality toothed belts, more pliable and the toothed arrangement meant they would go around the small radius pulley much better, they were however a little noiser, but a small price to pay for easier belt changes. Later on fitted a VFD, less belt changes again.

Philt
02-08-2003, 09:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SteveC:
Yes that's the machine. It looks to me that the "T" is machined, but the top, or narrow part of the slot seems to vary alot from end to end. I haven't really taken a close look, but I'll be getting into it soon.
Let me ask you another question since you have the same machine. It seems to be quite the hassle to change spindle speeds. Is there any trick to handling the belts?

Steve

</font>

My 33686 machine serial no 01267 was purchased in March of 2001. I just looked at it to make sure that the T slot are definitely machined. The is no appreciative variation in the slot size from one end to the other so that I am using the set of clamps and t-nuts that purchased from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5953
Unfortunately there is no really easy way to change the belts. I have taken the cover off the top of my machine, but, that was in order to brace the top of the post to the ceiling and wall. I change the belts quite frequently and have adjusted to the fact that it is a hassle that must be endured. A VFD would certainly help, but, I can't afford that right now.

Phil Teague

Herb Helbig
02-09-2003, 12:11 AM
SteveC -

I concur with Alan in Oz's comment about good belts. I switched "Rope" belts on my Rong Fu mill/drill to Power Twist V-belts by Fenner Drives. I ordered from Hartville Tool. MSC has better prices, but won't sell less than 25 feet. Vibration reduction is marked, and the more flexible belts are easier to move for speed changes.

Thanks to Philt for comment about bracing the column to the ceiling. That would have been a more compelling idea if the link belts hadn't done such a good job with vibration. Maybe still worth while.

------------------