PDA

View Full Version : NAMES 2006 Photos

Errol Groff
04-27-2006, 09:46 PM
The photos I took at NAMES are up on the New England Model Engineering Society web site.

http://neme-s.org/NAMES_2006/NAMES_2006_1.htm

If you weren't able to make it this year they will give you an idea of what you missed.

Errol Groff

PTSideshow
04-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Great site Errol glad you enjoyed the show and your wife Bonner's See you next year:D

SGW
04-27-2006, 10:10 PM
How was the ratio to personally-built models to "I'm showing off this model I bought" models this year? I know a few years ago the organizers made an effort to emphasize be-proud-of-what-YOU-build, and I'm wondering how they did.

Errol Groff
04-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't know the answer to that one. When strolling past a display there is really no way to know if the items were homebuilt or purchased. Of course if one stops for conversation about a particular model it would quickly become obvious it the owner had built it. I think anyway.

Errol Groff

JCHannum
04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
I think the majority of the models displayed were built by the displayers. There are some that may have been built by parents or family members, and passed down, or displayed for them. There are usually a few collectors there with models that are obviously older, and they are usually so marked.

Almost all models have the placard that note the owner and builder, most are filled out, making it usually possible to identify the origin.

PTSideshow
04-28-2006, 08:07 AM
SGW the number was smaller this year of the deep pockets. One of the is now into buying older models and restoring them to working order. Like JC said alot of them are arefamily pieces. acouple are collectors that do their own work to repair and rebuild the items for missing parts ect. The others with the Empire, or other brands of toy engines. The show is open to display of any model made of any type material. And there were some wooden scale items that worked in the farm line that were great. also a couple of monkey organ that were made were there.
The 1/6 German RC Tanks were a bit strange @$3,000 plus each I would never believed in a market big eneough to support a company making them.

Hopefully now that the show was put on in the new location, and it was winner in the sense of what most people thought about the site, more room more light.
The air lines are now in the floor, and will be there for the future shows. it make set up easier and less time.
The people that stayed away will return next year.:D

John Stevenson
04-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Some really fine work displayed here.

One difference that appears to me between UK and US shows is that from the pic's and write up, builders display their own models on stands, tables etc.

In the UK the shows are comprised of trade stands and club stands.
The club then displays it's members work, all tagged to show who's they are.
There are no provisions here to display individual models.

Sometimes certail models can be 'attached' to other stands if they are of sufficient interest, Barry Jordan's machine tool models are an example.

Trade stands here are always attended in force. Our biggest suppliers, firms like Chester, Arc Euro, RDG, Chronos and Warco have custon stands just for the shows.
Some come in what you call 18 wheelers and have the full range of machines on display up to Bridgeport sized ones.
Most come in fleets of rented box vans but many are getting their own fleets.
You can buy anything at these shows from a tap thru to a bar of bronze to a milling machine.

One of our best shows is next weekend at Harrogate in the north of England [ Alistair is banned - the police on Hadrians wall have his picture, they use it to frighten the dogs ;) ]
Three day show Fri, Sat and Sun with Friday always being the busiest as a lot of ME's are retired and they want to get the best bits :D

I'll try to get some pics of the show and post them.

PTSideshow
04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes Sir John we do have group tables or sections that all are for the group that raises their banner there first. But as starange as it seems their are many more indie's here. It always surprizes me when I meet some one and tell them that there is a group and shows for their interest. And they act like they are the only one in the world working on making the worlds smallest version of the atomic bomb. The vendors tables or booths are set up and scattered thru out the hall. JC and Jan of tall grass tools had set ups at the show selling their wares, from this board. Not to mention the founders of this board where there selling their stuff. It is a 3 day show but as the people get older more are bailing out on Saturday or early Sunday so they can drive in the day light hours. to cover more ground.

Most of the machines sold are used and only the table top machines Sherline is there in force. There are a number of outfits that sell tools and other things needed for the hobby. No Metal dealers this year,my understanding is its a dollars deal last year a dealer said that If they want what I sell they can get my catalog,see my web site or call. This year the new stuff dealers seemed to do good.
A lot of people used to sneak in on Fridays to buy, buy and buy and then leave to save the money to get in. This year they put a stop to the freebe Fridays.

My only suggestion for next year was "The older the exhibitor the lighter in weight the exhibit should be." One of the peoples model weighed more than the full size item did.:D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/names06.jpg

This is the floor layout

topct
04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
The Masserati is.................

And it's engine...........

Wow.

Thanks Errol

Orrin
04-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Errol, thank you for posting your outstanding pictures. They are some of the best that I've ever seen from a show such as this.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of camera, lens, ISO setting, etc. that you used. I'm guessing you used available light. Is that so?

Thank you.

Orrin

Errol Groff
04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Orrin:

The camera I am now using is a Konica-Minolta 7D digital SLR. I got it just after Christmas and just before KM announced that they are abandoning the digital and film camera business. Hmm. Bad timing but hopefully is will wear as well as the three previous Minoltas I have owned over the last 35 years.

The lens is a Minolta 28-90mm zoom with a macro setting. I mostly set the camera on auto pilot and just start firing away. A lot of times I will take a picture with ambient light, check the view screen and if it looks darkish take the same picture with the built in flash. I plan to get an external flash for this camera but I have been spending like a drunken sailor on a new (to me) SB heavy 10 and a Clausing mill so the flash has had to be put on hold.

The camera has a 1 gig memory card and at the setting I am using I fill it up with about 400 pictures. Came within a handful of pictures of maxing it out on the trip.

All photos are run through MS PhotoDraw with necessary adjustments to sharpen focus and balance lighting. I don't do too much beyond that mostly because I don't know how to get real fancy and because I am basically too inert to do much more. I don't do hardly any cropping for the web site pictures since I would prefer the pictures to be of uniform size on the screen.

I try to remember that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a DSL or cable connection and I find that using a lot of thumbnails allow the pages to load quickly. I do try to keep the picture size reasonable but I find that the sizes have been creeping up as I want to provide the best quailty image that I can without making it too tedious for the dial up guys.

Anything else I can tell you? Just let me know and I will try to help.

Orrin
04-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Errol, thank you for a very thorough reply. I've copied it into my photo tips file and will refer to it the next time I attend a show. I can only hope that my pictures will be half as good as yours.

Best regards,

Orrin

spkrman15
04-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Errol,

Thanks for the pictures. Awesome. I was contemplating going this year. Hehe i am still sitting here thinking about it. I will make it down eventually. Absolutely amazing what people can do in their homes/shops.

Rob :)

Your Old Dog
04-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Nice job on the pictures. I looked at everyone. Thanks for all our hard work.

Ray.........

charlie coghill
04-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the pictures Errol. Very nice photos.