PDA

View Full Version : Try to remember...

Fred_Farkle
02-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Stretch your mind... Go back thru the years till you were the new guy. Your sitting on a stool with a file, a hacksaw, and a lump of metal. The first day in your new hobby or trade of machine work.....

You have made two parts, 6 holes in each, place them together and hooray!!. For the first time the holes actually line up. You set the parts on the bench, run into the house to tell the wife of your accomplishment. She says. "thats nice dear", She always says that.

You finally got the Model 100 ENCO mill, into the garage, 2400 lbs of green iron, and you spend three days peeking around the door at it. Trying to get up the nerve to do something with it. We called it the garage monster for awhile.

Telling the wife, that with the new machine gear, you can fix anything, and will get the cost of the gear back in savings on repairs. The desperation you feel when she asks you to fab up an AL doo-dad to hang the curtains, and you don't have a clue how to begin.

You brag on the HSM forum about scrapping a machine vise to 15-20 SPI. You start to assemble the vice. Spot one more time just to check, and find out that the @#$##$ iron has moved. Now has "wind" . 3 tenths from opposite corner to corner. Take the vice outside and beat it with a small stick. Spend hours on the machine forums searching for NFO on stress relieving castings. Find a thread where they discuss vibration to relieve internal stress. So beating the thing with a stick was the right thing to do. The accuracy is better than when new, so you put it together, and slap it on the mill table where it belongs. Your haunted by visions of twisting iron. How long can you hold out, before you rip it apart and have at it again with a scraper.

You ask a question on the Chaiski (sic) forum about how to adjust a gib. You get a long answer about how a guy worked on a machine that was anchored to the center of the earth, used rare asteroid material as tool bits, and could shave individual electrons off atoms. Cool stuff, you file it for reference when Bill Gates dies and leaves you enough money to buy an electron shaver. Head back out the garage and fiddle with the gib some more.

Spent your entire allowance for 60 years buying mill, lathe, accessories etc etc from ENCO. Shop full of stuff. Hang out on the forums and discover that you should have purchased good quality, used stuff, name brand. Your Asian iron is beneath comment, mostly. Figure out how to get the guys on the forum to explain to the wife why you should dump what you got to get the good stuff. Never mind, that you have just barely learned the difference between a hunk of AL Vs a hunk of CRS. Now I be deciding which is better, a model 6 electron shaver or a model 6.3 electron shaver.

I feel good sitting in my shop, touching my tools. There is a part inside every piece of scrap. Just have to figure out how to get it out.

Share your thoughts...

Mike

[This message has been edited by Fred_Farkle (edited 02-08-2003).]

jbucko
02-08-2003, 03:53 PM
When I am in my shop,I am like the little pig in his own personal mud puddle!Be it attempting to turn,mill,shape,saw,etc.etc.... Wife doesn't understand,but figures she knows my whereabouts.I have been fortunate in aquiring used machinary for my shop,and in one case,a horizontal mill was given to me!Of course the knee is in boxes on the floor,and K&T wants a small fortune for parts,but by golly I have a 2HL Plain.As the old saying goes,HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOOLS WINS!Now,if I can just get the heat to work,I will waddle back into my "puddle".Must be 20 degrees in that sucker.

Techtchr
02-08-2003, 04:56 PM
I am the new guy. I've owned my own lathe for about 20 years, and mill for 15, and I still make many mistakes, break things,create scrap metal and drool over new toys. I also make due with what I have, buy what I can aford, fix other people's broken stuff and help others out. I am a novice when it comes to many on this BB and an expert to a few. I learn something new pretty much every day, sometimes multiple times in a day and I occacionally get to pass my knowledge on to others. My shop is also cold, but it gets much warmer when I can go out there with one of my kids, and make something or fix something... sometimes we even fire up the stove. My wife doesn't complain about my tool and machine purchases as I don't get carried away. When I buy something expensive, she always says, Just make sure it's what you want.

Matt

Fred_Farkle
02-09-2003, 12:11 AM
How did I get here..

sorry

Techtchr
02-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Fred,
The electron shaver had me scratching my head. We all get here in different ways. I guess my post was to say I'm lucky. I enjoy what I do, my wife is wonderful and I love my kids. "touching my tools" (is that leagal in your state too?) is just gravey. Its not what you got its what you do with what you got. I've got friends that think I'm a genius, because I can fix things and do a variety of stuff, but really what I am is someone that can read and follow directions, as well as hide away in my shop and ruin stuff that they will never see. I think they call that practice. We all get there from different routes. I'm sure yours has been as interesting and rewarding as any.

By the way, been reading about Nano technology. Can that electron shaver be far off?

Go make some swarf, Matt