PDA

View Full Version : Reflection

Millman
04-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Worked in 2 machine shops with 2 tone paint on the walls. One was built in the 20's, with the top portion a brighter color than the bottom. Cannot remember the height of the dividing line between light and dark. Keep thinking there WAS a shop standard at the time for the division between the top color and bottom. Anyone here who can refresh my memory, as I am now insulating and painting my shop? Thinking about semi-gloss white for the top; contrasting color at the bottom. Maybe the dividing line at the top surface of my benches. Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated; It will probably not be in ANY shade of green! I'm sure the standards of reflection has been upgraded. Thanks

Schutzhund
04-30-2006, 04:29 AM
Im partial to splitting it in thirds. Bottom 1/3 dark. Upper two thirds light. WWMSD?

What would Martha Stewart do? :D

Millman
04-30-2006, 04:47 AM
That's cute; evidently, you have no idea what I meant.

Schutzhund
04-30-2006, 05:13 AM
That's cute; evidently, you have no idea what I meant.

I'm sure I dont. Subtlety is lost on me. I must have missed a thread somewhere along the line. *shrug

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/mystyk/pancake%20bunny.jpg

Millman
04-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Shooting for the BIG 10,000 are you?

Schutzhund
04-30-2006, 05:23 AM
Will you post a congratulatory thread for me if I do?

Millman
04-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Naw, probably not.

Schutzhund
04-30-2006, 05:37 AM
I didnt think so.

Moving along now.

Enjoy your thread.

Millman
04-30-2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks for your colorful contributions to my question. May you and yours have an excellent Sunday.

Schutzhund
04-30-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm still not sure what you are talking about. I figured you were joking.

(Edited to add: The "big grin" next to your topic lead me to believe you were just joking. Had you responded with a little enlightenment rather than questioning my age Im sure my response would have been MUCH different. It is rather difficult to gage ones tone through written dialog.)

What can I say, I'm young and naive. My high-school shop had flat white masonary walls IIRC. I have no further exposure to machine shop environments.

I did manage to find a few pictures of two-tone shops but they are each done differently. Interesting to say the least. I take it this is done to minimize light reflection on machined surfaces?

http://www.duraflexinternational.com/Photo%20Gallery/factory%20photos/machine%20shop3.jpg

http://www.rousseaumetal.com/images/Photo_contenu/machine_shop.jpg

http://www.jltp.com/images/Machining.jpg

Rustybolt
04-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I had white semigloss with the bottom 5 feet being a light grey gloss. I often wanted to add a line of yellow, say 1 brick wide, just for color.

SJorgensen
04-30-2006, 09:16 AM
I'd say it is because machinists don't have ladders, and don't want to be painters but they will paint if they have to.

Also shop foreman tend to be tall. This line helps in spotting the approach of the foreman in your peripheral vision.

Peter N
04-30-2006, 09:32 AM
I can't exactly answer your question as to the height split, but the other thing to bear in mind is that colour can play an important part too.

Below is a picture of the factory at my small injection moulding company. I had it repainted about 2 years ago from the bog standard industrial pale grey. We chose the blue to try and promote a more relaxed and thoughtful atmosphere in the place and it actually worked! Productivity went up and reject/scrap levels went down measured over a 3-month period.

Apparantly grey (as we had before) can give a depressing effect, red is over-stimulating and pale yellow can aid the thought process, with blue providing a calming effect. I usually tend to dismiss this stuff as psycho-babble but in this case it least they seem to be right.

Sadly the place is completely empty now having closed down this Friday.

Peter

http://www.btinternet.com/~p.neill/TSE_Factory_Paint.jpeg

topct
04-30-2006, 09:36 AM
First, as can be seen in Schutzhunds first picture. Notice the line of splatter behind the lathe chuck. The dark paint helps hide that.

The idea actually comes from what used to be done to the outside of structures.

In olden times there were no sewers. Waste and drain water ran down the gutters that were at the front doors.

When horses and wagons went past they would splatter this up against the building. Painting a dark section on the lower part of the walls helped hide it.

Another thing that used to done was they way the inside of poorer peoples houses were painted. It was used to simulate the wainscoating in rich peoples houses.

Scatterplot
04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm sure I dont. Subtlety is lost on me. I must have missed a thread somewhere along the line. *shrug

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/mystyk/pancake%20bunny.jpg

Oh man, you just made my day! I haven't seen the pancake bunny in AGES!!! Oh this is awesome, man, thanks a lot! Woohoo!

(Fruitcat next anyone?:D )

KyMike
04-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Although not exactly what you were asking about, I once was in the power house of an old factory and they had painted the wall a dark green up to about 4-5 feet from the floor and the rest of the wall was either white or an off-white. It was so dirty it was hard to tell for sure about the upper color, probably hadn't been repainted since it was built. I don't know if the color line was standard or just they way they happened to do it.

Mike

Fasttrack
04-30-2006, 08:08 PM
hmm...that is an interesting idea - i assume that, besides hiding oil splashes, it would really help with reflection on machined surfaces to have the lower portion a darker color. Looks nice from the pictures i saw. I guess i would paint a darker color about a foot higher than my chuck and call it good enough - unless i had low ceilings, then i might reconsider. Anyway thanks for the thread, i am interested to see what you come up with.

wierdscience
04-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Don't think there is a hard rule about where the division is,just that the lighter color is always on top.

Maybe it would have to do with the lighting placement and it's hieght off the floor.

YOOO VINNY
05-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I believe one of the reasons the older factories were done in 2 tone like that wasent only to make it brighter, but also because of the paint costs.
The upper wall's werent painted, they were white washed.
Paint cost money, white wash could be made on site for peanuts.

thistle
05-01-2006, 06:54 PM
how about algae ?
changes colour with the season - sometimes its a nice green,shifting to brown and then a nice shade of pink .
the brown almost matches the rust that forms on the tools surfaces!
Martha Stewart eat your heart out!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/P4210149.jpg

Rustybolt
05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Upper white semigloss to reflect light. Lower darker gloss to hide oil spray and easy to wipe off.

Scishopguy
05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
The plant I started out in was the most sickening shade of pea soup green. THe walls were green, the machines were green, and our faces were usually green. Then, when the plant manager retired and the new guy came in, they painted the place light and dark yellow. It was butterscotch up to about 6' and from there up was a nice sunshine yellow. Morale improved and productivity went up. The machines were still green but at least they stood out.

Jim (KB4IVH)