PDA

View Full Version : What Lathe Does This Cross Slide Fit?

john hobdeclipe
05-01-2006, 12:01 PM
This is actually the knife grinder attachment from an old PARKS woodworking planer. It appears to me that they used a lathe cross slide & compound and put it on a 24” long cast iron dovetailed beam. When in use, a Dumore hand grinder is attached to the compound, the whole rig is bolted onto the planer frame, and the cutterhead knives are sharpened in place.

My question is: who made the cross slide / compound? Does anyone recognize it? (The rule in the pictures is 6")

http://www.auldooly.com/imagehost/cross-slide001.jpg

I originally bought this for resale, but I think now that I may keep it, make a few mods, and use it in my shop.

Thanks

Rustybolt
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
From what I remeber of Atlas, it looks like an Atlas cross slide.

IOWOLF
05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
If it is its not for a 10 or 12" and IIRC nor is it for a 6"

Kevin45
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
It looks like an older Hardinge compound.

rkepler
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
The looks exactly like my late-model 12" Atlas cross slide and compound.

IOWOLF
05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
The looks exactly like my late-model 12" Atlas cross slide and compound.

It could be, if it is beefier than a 10'' ,I don't think I have ever seen a late model 12 ".

rkepler
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Here's a shot of the compound and cross slide on my 12" Atlas. I tried to shoot it with a similar perspective to the first shot, I think you can see that they're really a close fit to one another.

http://www.kepler-eng.com/images/atlas_compound.jpg

SJorgensen
05-02-2006, 03:00 AM
You're looking at the wrong side. The only important things to consider is the mount (probably a dovetail post) and the height. Lets see the mount. Maybe it would fit my SB9.

john hobdeclipe
05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.

rkepler, I appreciate the pix...it does look identical, doesn't it? So I'll assume it's from an Atlas 12" and go from there.

I think that this rig can have some benefit to my woodworking interests after some modification. I'll need to work out a lead screw arrangement along the length of the long slide. The feedscrew on a cross slide is usually left hand thread, correct? If that's the case, I'll probably have to make a nut to fit a r.h. acme threaded rod which would be easier to find than a a long l.h. rod.

It'll be a fun little project. Should be all finished by the end of the decade.