PDA

View Full Version : I build a new workshop (pics.)

m_kilde
05-02-2006, 05:27 PM
As some of you know I like to build minature engines, but that doesn't mean the workshop has to be minature also

My previus shop was about 4 m²

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/new%20workshop/1.jpg

My new shop is approx. 13 m²

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/new%20workshop/50.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/new%20workshop/70.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/new%20workshop/69.jpg

Some of you help me with opinions on placing the window, as you can see the result was a window on the side of the workbench, allready now I feel this is a good sulution - thanks for youe help

Alistair Hosie
05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Smashing I like it very much I wish you a long life and good health to enjoy.Alistair

Evan
05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
That looks good. I am curious, what is the price of building materials in Denmark? For example, how much is the lumber? Also, that looks like standard nominal 2x4" framing. Is that the case or are they a metric dimension?

Doc Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Is that the case or are they a metric dimension?

-They measure lumber in hectares per linear deciliter over there.

:D

Seriously, not a bad jump in space. I started out in a big, but cluttered shop, moved to a folding table in an apartment, from there to a small garage with attached neighbors that complained if I ran anything louder than a Dremel after 9:00 pm, and finally back to a big shop that's not so cluttered.

Well, actually, it has just as much stuff as the cluttered shop, but now it's not clutter. It's "raw materials" and "potential tools". :D

Doc.

CCWKen
05-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Nice shop! I see they are much more liberal about building codes over there too. The slab contact wood, window header and single top rail wouldn't get past inspection in most areas here.

Way too much floor space showing. You better start "stocking" up. :D

wierdscience
05-02-2006, 11:46 PM
That is a very nice,well lit shop you have there,I am sure you will enjoy it.

Like Evan I am also interested in the framing specs used.

john hobdeclipe
05-03-2006, 10:21 AM
That's nice! It's a joy to move into a clean & spacious work shop.

Add my name to the list of requests for a short lesson about European lumber dimension standards.

madman
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Nice photo of your new shop. Someday ill figure out how to post pics. Enjoy your new shop its very nice.

m_kilde
05-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the kind words to all of you

The dimesions on lumber is actually funny here in denmark, as we ( like in the US) officially use metric dimension, and the framing is build by 100x50mm lumber , the roof support is 125x50mm - but when speaking of such a project with someone, you will talk about 4"x2" and 5"x2" inch lumber

Well the price of lumber here in Denmark is approximately 2$ / meter for a 4"x2" planed ( I dont know if this word goes, but its when the wood is smooth and without splinters ) wood

Evan
05-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, 50x100 is about the same as 2"x4" so it seems to be the same. I'll be buying some lumber this weekend so we will see what the price is here. Keep in mind I will buy it direct from the sawmill just a few kilometers down the road from me.

TECHSHOP
05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Nice looking new shop. Must be great to have some room for moving around. Enjoy the empty area while it lasts, shop space always "clutters up" way too fast.

speedsport
05-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Evan,
If you buy lumber direct from the sawmill is it kiln dried?

john hobdeclipe
05-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Here in the US, when we buy a "two by four" it's not really 2 inches by 4 inches, but 1-1/2 X 3-1/2. So when you buy a 100 X 50, is it really 100mm X 50mm, or is it also smaller?

speedy
05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
That dedicated workshop must be luxury after your previous wee room.
Are your building codes quite casual for sheds/garages? They are changing the codes here, becoming stringent. The reason?Wet building syndrome don`t you know; funny thing is that it was unknown before new building practices/materials were introduced a decade or two ago.
However I digress, your shed is a credit to you. There is nothing else like having your own space to retire to.

ken

Evan
05-04-2006, 09:51 AM
If you buy lumber direct from the sawmill is it kiln dried?

I buy my lumber from Alvin. He has a small operation not far from my place although not that small, several employees. It's nothing like the huge mills we have here that produce millions of BF per day.

He air drys all his wood as he doesn't have a kiln. He also doesn't pick out the select grade pieces since he doesn't (and can't) ship to Japan. Because he doesn't kiln dry he can't ship outside of BC since kiln drying is the only way to ensure pest control. When you buy 2 and better from Alvin you really do get the "better" pieces. He sells at whatever the market price for the grade is for the day but he also accepts cash only(wink ). Also, air dried is nicer wood. It stays the way you bought it instead of curling up into a potato chip later. He also doesn't mind if you are picky about the pieces.

ninthst
05-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Where do you live in Danmark ?

m_kilde
05-04-2006, 04:22 PM
To John

Also in Denmark the meassures is a little smaller, in fact a 100x50mm lumber is 97x47mm

To ninthst ( strange name )
I lieve in the northen part of Denmark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/image013.gif

Mogens

speedsport
05-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Evan,
How long does it take to air dry and what moisture content does it get down to?

Evan
05-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Heh. The answer is "that depends". How it's stacked, temperature, initial moisture content, weather etc. The big thing is to have it well stacked with spacers that allow air flow. The weight of the stack also prevents warping. A month or two of nice weather will do for 2x4s.

[added]

We have an extremely dry climate here so air drying is very practical. I have never seen the humidity in my house exceed 50%.

[edit]

I just looked it up, our annual precipitation here is 40cm or about 15 inches with most of that in winter as snow when the humidity is lowest.

wierdscience
05-05-2006, 09:41 AM
We also have the debate over air vs kiln dired here,it doesn't do much to kill bugs we have here(termites and powder post bettles),but it does set the rosin in conifer species like SYP and Red(eastern)Cedar.

Kiln drying can ruin hardwood if it's done wrong,ever cut open an oak board and find hollows and voids in the grain?It's called casing and it's cause by placing green wood in a hot kiln.

The state recently passed a law requiring kiln dired lumber for all new home construction.Only two glaring problems,#1 air dired lumber can be as much as 40% stronger in terms of fiber strength,and #2 80% or better of the framing lumber sold now is stamped clearly SD(ship dried) which means it's just air dired long enough to reduce the shipping wieght.What a scam.

Oh,and a third problem,it puts small mills out of business.

Just how big is a sheet of plwood in Denmark? Anything close to 4x8 feet?

m_kilde
05-05-2006, 05:56 PM
The standard size of a plywood sheet in denmark, and any orther kind of wood sheet, is 244 x 122 cm, that would be 8.005249 x 4.002625 :rolleyes:

Mogens

ninthst
05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Regarding the name " ninthst "
Growing up in the 30's we attended the Danish Luthern Church on 9th street in Brooklyn NY.
With so many " log in " names taken I was pretty sure " ninthst " would be available . For me it is a very easy name, and a pleasant experience, to remember.
Most of the family lives in Sjaelland.

Evan
05-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I just got back from Alvin's mill this morning and picked up some nice lumber. I bought 32 pieces of 2" x 6" x 10 foot air dried pine for $4.50 US per piece (cash). The pine here isn't like southern pine as it is really slow growing because of the climate. It can take 15 to 20 years to put on an inch of diameter. I got some pieces that are just about completely clear wood so I will be saving those for special projects.

TECHSHOP
05-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Here in the States we have the "ever shrinking" standard for lumber. There was/is a well known US tool manufacture that wanted to get into the the Euro cordless tool market. They made a charger to the electric specs over there, started an ad blitz, and sat back to count the money. The tool line flopped, because the saw(blade dia) would "only" cut US "nonimal" size lumber, not the much "truer" size Euro lumber. It took about 4 years before they figured out why nobody in Europe bought the saw, I don't know if they ever gained market share, even when they increased the saw blade diameter.

Timleech
05-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Planed softwood in the UK is/was notionally the size you get after sawing to size, then planing smooth. It's all metric now in theory though actual sizes haven't all changed and Hardwood still tends to be Imperial, but a 4 x 2 (note not 2 x 4 !) would have been, IIRC, 3 13/16" x 1 13/16". I think.

Tim

Evan
05-07-2006, 09:40 AM
We have a situation here in Canada that continues to piss off a lot of people. When Canada went officially metric years ago it wasn't long before the roofing shingle manufacturers switched to metric size shingles for mineral coated ashphalt shingles. They are not the same size as the old shingles and cannot be used to repair a roof with the old shingles because they don't fit.

This was an obvious way to force people to reshingle instead of repair. All the rest of our building materials have remained the same size regardless of the measurement units used to describe them.

railfancwb
05-07-2006, 09:44 AM
If you label a stick of wood 2 x 4 when it is really 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 that's OK, you are not lying because the government made you do it. The original concept was 2 x 4 rough sawn before planing, but that isn't true any more...no one planes 1/4" off each side. I've got a friend in the wooden products business in his home shop (currently doll furniture) and he air dries most of his wood under an enclosed deck. Usually has several pickup loads under there, properly separated. Charles

Evan
05-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Heh. Alvin sells real 2x4s rough sawn at a real 2x4 dimension. Cheaper than the planed, too.

TECHSHOP
05-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Evan:

That "selective" use of metric is alive and well down here. When a manufacture can get more "units" in metric sizes from the same "raw stock" amount, they go metric, but label it in the "original" inch size.

As to wood, I don't do much construction/remodeling anymore, just familiy work, but the wood has gotten smaller and smaller over the years. I think in a few more years we will be framing with toothpicks in the States. Hard wood are still sold by board foot and thickness is measured by quaters. This past winter I burnt all the walnut, quater sawn white oak, birds eye and tiger stripe maple that wasn't mulch grade by the time I got back from over seas. Used to get most of my wood on the hoof and air dry, but I will have to buy from the mill in the near future.