PDA

View Full Version : Got the new machines today have a question

cybor462
05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi all
You guys told me to ask questions well here we go. I got the machines today. I am really surprised how little info I got with them. Smithy sells the fact that they are in business for the newbie and well I guess most newbies have more experience than I have. I never put in a lther or mill and think Smithy may have had some info in doing that.

My questions first after I uncrated and moved and set down this 1000 lb chunk of iron. I mounted it as I bought the custom stand for it. After all that and it is perfectly level I found these small rubber mounts I know now were supposed to go under the lathe mount between it and the stand. No mention of these in the lame install sheet I got with it.
My question what would be the purpose for this? Vibration? I did not redo it and put them in as I am afraid I will not get it level again. I needed nothing to level it. Just tightened it on the stand. Will it be a problem to leave them out?

I will be using a coolant set up with this too so I thought maybe they would be a kind of gasket for sealing to keep the coolant from leaking into the stand storage area. I could use some rtv around the base to keep the coolant out.

I have not finished cleaning it up yet so i do not know how it runs.

Any suggestions?

Also the lathe seems to be a decent machine seems well made. I am somewhat dissatisfied with the mill. I have not yet started on it other than putting it on the stand. It just look like something you would go to HF and buy off the shelf. Has that real Chinese look and the manual is the old "machine work good for not a beginner and for one who beginner". that is one of the descriptions. The machine looks real cheap. Handles are made out of some type of flaky plastic like bake lite with a flaking disease. When you look at them they flake apart. Nothing moves table or post. Locks are not locked but I have not even cleaned it yet. Just looks real cheap not appropriate for 2000.00 what I paid. Has anyone had one of these? Its a CX 329 and the lathe is a CZ 239

Thanks

BillH
05-02-2006, 10:55 PM
You should of asked questions here before buying. Im sure theres quite a few here who have dealt with Smithy before.

cybor462
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Bill

I ordered them before I knew about this web bbs. I found this bbs a few days after I ordered them. The last time I used a shop machine there was no internet heck there were no home computers. Really did not know where to look. I have beem getting Smithy catalogs for years. Not sure why but when I was ready to make the plunge that was what I had to base my decision on.
DO you have any knowledge of Smithy? I would appreciate any info you may have about them.

BillH
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Did you buy 2 seperate machines or an all in one? Sounds like 2 seperate machines.
I dont know anything about Smithy. If you have no confidence in what your doing, you need to have some one show you the ropes. If you studied everything you can get your hands on in relation to machining and are confident in yourself, I say start making some chips.
I dont know your interests, I like steam locomotives. Hiraoko Kozo wrote a book on building a steam locomotive with the complete newbie in mind to machining. The book is called, "The Pennsylvannia A3 Switcher" The first project for the beginner.
Perhaps some one on this forum lives near you or can point you in the right direction. Some night courses on machining may be the best thing for you. Atleast you have a lathe and mill now.

cybor462
05-02-2006, 11:19 PM
I worked for Avco Lycoming as a machinist 20+ years ago. Its not that I do not have confidence I just need to clear the cobwebs. I ordered a set of videos as reccommended by a user here.
I never setup a shop before so I never had to buy machines or set them in place. I live in cow country and there are very few shops near me. Most do not like others moving in on them as they put it. So it is not somewhere you would go looking for help to set up your own shop. I am on my own. I am sure when the chips start flying I will feel at home. I guess like riding a bike.

I am sure I will be ok. Just not so sure I got a deal on the mill thats all.

cybor462
05-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Been reading for hours here and after looking at the archives I see Smithy is not the household name for quality. Lets hope these two new machines work well enough to get some use out of them before I will have to search for something better.

Anyone help me with the rubber mount things I posted at the start of this thread?

Thanks
Jim

tattoomike68
05-03-2006, 12:09 AM
I like my smithy 1220. The lathe is fine but I dont care for the mill part, its just A light duty mill at best.

throw the rubber mount things in a drawer and forget them , if you have leaks put a tiny bead of silicone on the base, dont sweat it.

good luck and be happy, A small mill is better than no mill.

TECHSHOP
05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
cybor462:

The two machines you have are "new" to the Smithy adds. I don't have any leads (looking at pictures) to other importers that may have "better" documentation, or web sites specific to your machines. I fear you may be on the "leading edge" of US ownership of these machines.

Schutzhund
05-04-2006, 02:28 AM
The Smithy CX-329 looks like just another Rong-Fu 45 clone to me.

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/benchtop_milling.htm

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/images/Smithy_CX329_Mill.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0519

http://www.lathemaster.com/HEAVYDUTYMILLINGMACHINE%207045FG.htm

http://www.industrialhobbies.com/

You paid a bit more than necessary, but they are a popular machine capable of doing good work.

Heres the Rong Fu (Made in Taiwan) version:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=383&PMITEM=326-1022

Your Old Dog
05-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Been reading for hours here and after looking at the archives I see Smithy is not the household name for quality. Lets hope these two new machines work well enough to get some use out of them before I will have to search for something better.

Anyone help me with the rubber mount things I posted at the start of this thread?

Thanks
Jim

Congratulations on the new shop gear! Don't worry about the quality too much, I'm sure it will do anything a homeshop machinist working as a hobbyiest will do. My friend has the combo smithy and he is quite happy with it. There are a good many folks on this board who are able to run old commercial equipment that they've been lucky enough to find but that's not saying a cheap chinese Mill won't give you a lot of fun in the shop. I think the Smithy is pretty popular with some of the home gunsmithing crowd.

have fun, don't sweat not having a Clausing or a Bridgy.

Ray.......

charlie coghill
05-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Cybor I would contact Smithy and see what they say about the rubber rings. Other than that I would do as been said just throw them in a drawer. If they are encetial the problem will show up.

TECHSHOP
05-05-2006, 02:19 AM
If your machines are also imported by Grizzly, then you may find a nice manual on their web site to download. If it is not posted there you will have to purchase the manual from them. I think that the Griz manuals are the best of the importers.

Don't worry of the price you paid so much, different venders try to make the the "total" cost (machine + accessories + shipping) the same as the competition, but the "advertise" price (the BIG eye catching number in the ad) the lowest to get your attention. All the catalog and ad photes usually look better than the actual machine, got to love our American way, no?

Millman
05-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Try not to judge your machines too fast. Anytime you buy a machine, new or used, you'll have to fine tune it. Bought the 3102 last summer, made 3 passes with the 3" face mill (Cheapie, that was included) felt the table shaking. At first you get pi++ed, then you have to laugh because your X axis gib just fell out. Took about 2 hours fine tuning the gib; it was about 1" TOO long. Sawed off 1/4" at a time till I got it to fit and work smooth. Since I had repaired several humongous vertical and horizontal mills, I knew what to do. At least the gib was cast iron, the repair wasn't that bad. They must have taken one from a bigger machine just to get mine shipped! Just take your time and check out all the movements; usually a quick fix.