PDA

View Full Version : eBay Insanity

BobWarfield
05-03-2006, 01:14 AM
I buy a lot of stuff on eBay, and I get good prices on it. The only way to do that is to look up what it costs to buy outright and make sure you don't get carried away on your bidding. I happened to notice this Phase II 10" horizontal/vertical rotary table that just sold there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7614403362

Man, unless I'm missing something, that's a used table that just sold for more than the list price!

Go figure,

BW

ogree
05-03-2006, 04:26 AM
That's because people as a whole refuse to think and do any research on something before they make a purchase.

IOWOLF
05-03-2006, 04:44 AM
Cought up in the heat of the moment?

Just plain stupid?

Really wanted THAT table?

I have seen it too,I don't have the answers,Its just crazy.

sch
05-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Yup, ENCO is selling the Phase II 10" HV rotary for $295 (sale) usual $352.
Reliable strikes again.
Steve

Your Old Dog
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
In my case it usually caused by bringing up ebay and seeing something I'm interested in ending in about 2 minutes time. Panic sets in thinking it may be a good deal so I don't take time for research. When cooler thinking, what I've done is go to the left side of the screen and click on "completed items" and see what the history is of similar items has been for the past few weeks. I usually end up not bidding!

Millman
05-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Must be nice to have that much self-control!

vdisney
05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I buy quite a bit of 3" brass round stock for flywheels. Lately I have found it selling on Ebay for 20% more than I can get it from Metal Express for. I think some people figure if it is on Ebay, it has to be a good deal. L,H&R

bob308
05-03-2006, 09:55 AM
go to real live auction sometime. i have seen step ladders sell so high i could have gone to the hardware store bought new ones and made good money on them. other things that go like that are chaines and some building materials.

IOWOLF
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Yea, In case I haven't told anyone here,I saw with my own eyes 4 fractional size transfer punch sets Enco or simular, go for over $125.00, I was laughing so hard I didnt get the final bid.
Yes folks these can be had for $9.99 each.

john hobdeclipe
05-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Happens all the time when people don't do their homework or get caught up in thinking it is a big deal to "win" an auction.

At a hardware store auction recently, I watched several Delta benchtop drill presses sell for $120.00 each, plus 10% buyers premium. The boxes were clearly marked $119.95. The same tool at a big box sells for $97.00.

Peter N
05-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I often search for tools on the US e-bay site instead of the UK site, as with a favourable exchange rate and no shipping problems (with stuff coming to the UK) its often bargain time for us on this side of the pond.

About 2 months ago I was looking for a simple tapping head. Over here the old Archer #1's & #2's go for silly money, and I spotted a Harbor Freight one over there. Bought for a single job, 3 months old, pristine condition. He listed the fact that it was bought new from Horrible Fright for $99.99, and had it up for $9.99 starting bid and $15 posting cost.

It sold for $139. By the time the shipping was added on that was $50 more than the delivered cost from HF. I couldn't figure out why, HF still have it on the site as a stock item for $99.99.

Peter

RPease
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Now don't be "bad mouthing" those Ebay buyers..........LOL

I've got this "great" item that I plan on putting up (before those crazy bidders run out of money........)

I recently re-roofed my house and have a box of "vintage" (some might call them "used") roofing nails that I'm sure must be worth $200-$300. They're the "real expensive" kind............you know........the "galvanized" ones.

Can't wait to see what some "moron" will bid on them. The trick is to make them seem "special" without actually lying about what they are.

My brother sells goofy looking rocks on Ebay.........Amazing what someone will pay for a rock that "he (my brother) thinks" looks like Elvis or Jerry Garcia..........LOL..........

Herm Williams
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
That table was from Reliabletools. They have a large following and no hassle return policy and sell about a $mil a month. I have had good luck with them but I decide what the item is worth to me, someone bids a nickel more, they have it.
re

Scishopguy
05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
When I was looking for used machinery I kept an eye on Reliable tool. They never had a reserve on any item and I followed the auctions to the end. Most machines and large tooling items ended at about half what they were worth. I asked a friend, who also has an ebay store, why their prices were so low. He said that it is because they never actually sell anything unless it gets up to the price they want. He said to follow one of their bargain items to the end and then go check to see what the final price was. I looked it up and the item never sold, it was pulled. I have heard that there are a lot of folks that do that kind of thing. That would really be a pain, to think you had a chance to get an item and then have it pulled. Reliable is fun to look at but I bet you can't get any bargains there.

Just my humble opinion.

Jim (KB4IVH)

HTRN
05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Happens all the time when people don't do their homework or get caught up in thinking it is a big deal to "win" an auction.

At a hardware store auction recently, I watched several Delta benchtop drill presses sell for $120.00 each, plus 10% buyers premium. The boxes were clearly marked $119.95. The same tool at a big box sells for $97.00.

I've seen a similar situation exist with those cheap chinese drill presses Horror Freight sells. At the time they were $60 new, but I saw them go for over $70 at auction a coupla times, and they were thoroughly beat up to boot.

HTRN

Rustybolt
05-03-2006, 06:15 PM
First timers get caught up in the action. My rule of thumb has always been; unless I need it to do a job right away, I won't go more than half of it's new price, depending on condition. I have seen rusted shut lathes w/o motors, beat up delivery vans,bins and bins of used taps and endmills, all go for more than new prices. If you find yourself in an auction like that, go home. Idiots with money will win every time.

Scishopguy
05-04-2006, 01:26 AM
The "screamin shout" auctions are always a dissappointment to me. There is always some fool who wants to pay twice new price for something I want. I learned about bidding at sealed bid surplus auctions the state of Florida used to put on. I got so much good stuff for little or nothing. All things were "as is, where is" and people wouldn't bid on anything that appeared to be broken. If you could fix a few things you could get great deals. The state finally figured out that people will pay way to much for anything they have to compete openly for. Now, you have to take a whole day to wait for your item to come up and then put up with the fools who like to give their money away.

Ebay looked promising until I found out about things like "E Snipe" and the problems with crooked sellers that don't send the stuff even after they cash your check.

I have the best luck finding stuff in big industrial towns at the flea markets. You would be surprised what turns up on the blankets and card tables. I have bought a bunch of end mills, reamers, taps, and even some tooling. I will gladly pay $.50 for a 3/4" cobalt roughing mill.

Jim (KB4IVH)

john hobdeclipe
05-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Here's something else I've noticed about live auctions that I've been to: As the economy slows down and business gets "bad" the prices realized at auctions go up. As business gets better, auction prices go down.

This is nothing scientific, nothing I can back up with hard numbers. But I've talked with folks who have been in the auction business, at one end or the other, through several economic cycles, and they have seen the same thing happen.

I guess it makes sense: In tough times more businesses are in a budget crunch and are looking for used machinery, thus driving up the prices. When the economy is really rolling, more businesses can afford new equipment. (This is probably an overly simplistic explanation.)

matador
05-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I guess it's the old story:"A fool and his money are soon parted".
If you want something cheap,do your homework.If you have plenty of dough,and don't care about being ripped off,go for it:D.

Milacron of PM
05-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's something else I've noticed about live auctions that I've been to: As the economy slows down and business gets "bad" the prices realized at auctions go up. As business gets better, auction prices go down.

This is nothing scientific, nothing I can back up with hard numbers. But I've talked with folks who have been in the auction business, at one end or the other, through several economic cycles, and they have seen the same thing happen.

I guess it makes sense: In tough times more businesses are in a budget crunch and are looking for used machinery, thus driving up the prices. When the economy is really rolling, more businesses can afford new equipment. (This is probably an overly simplistic explanation.)

I don't know what country you are posting from but it certainly isn't the USA as I know it. I've been to many machine tool auctions from the mid 1980's and probably over a hundred just from 1999 to present and can tell you just the opposite is the case in my experience. During the recession, machines were selling DIRT cheap in many cases...late model $100,000 machines for $4,000 in some cases.....but the last two years I'd hardly been able to buy anything due to auction prices higher than dealer retail being the norm.

From a machinery dealer perspective I made more profits in the depth of the recession than I do now. Back then I bought dirt cheap and sold "cheap", but now it's pretty difficult to buy anything low enough to resell it except for the obscure pieces that I know something about, like CNC spectrometers and CNC microhardness testers. But those obscure instruments are few and far between, so the used machinery business, for me anyway, is no better now than it was then...mostly due to auction prices being so high lately.

HTRN
05-04-2006, 11:27 PM
I can confirm what D. Thomas has said - the Dealers are all paying ridiculous money for stuff, simply to get inventory - demand is very high right now. Fabricating equipment is in particular demand in the NE. One of the major contributors to the demand, IMO, is Ebay. What once sold fairly cheap here, can now easily be sold in say Montana for double the price. This tends to raise prices in all areas to match the areas with the highest prices

HTRN